Nearly three-quarters of young Brits identify as having no religion
Add Reply
John Ritson
2018-03-21 18:16:08 UTC
"Nearly three-quarters of young Brits identify as having no religion, a
report suggests.

Researchers asked the religious views of people aged 16 to 29 across
Europe.

They found young people in the Czech Republic are the least religious -
with 91% of that age group saying they have no faith at all.

The most religious country in Europe was Poland, where just 17% of young
adults define themselves as non-religious."

The figures were published in a report called Europe's Young Adults and
Religion - which was a collaboration between St Mary's University in
London and the Catholic University of Paris.
https://www.stmarys.ac.uk/research/centres/benedict-xvi/docs/2018-mar-
europe-young-people-report-eng.pdf

The figures are based on data from the most recent European Social
Survey, in 2014 and 2016.

People across 21 European countries and in Israel were asked if they
consider themselves to belong to any particular religion or
denomination."

"1. The proportion of young adults (16-29)
with no religious affiliation (‘nones’) is as
high as 91% in the Czech Republic, 80%
in Estonia, and 75% in Sweden. These
compare to only 1% in Israel, 17% in
Poland, and 25% in Lithuania. In the UK
and France, the proportions are 70% and
64% respectively.

2. 70% of Czech young adults and c. 60%
of Spanish, Dutch, British, and Belgian
ones ‘never’ attend religious services.
Meanwhile, 80% of Czech young adults
and c. 70% of Swedish, Danish, Estonian,
Dutch, French and Norwegian ones
‘never’ pray.

3. Catholics make up 82% of Polish, 71% of
Lithuanian, 55% of Slovenian, and 54% of
Irish 16-29 year-olds. In France, it is 23%;
in the UK, 10%. ]

4. Only 2% of Catholic young adults in
Belgium, 3% in Hungary and Austria, 5%
in Lithuania, and 6% in Germany say they
attend Mass weekly. This contrasts sharply
with their peers in Poland (47%), Portugal
(27%), the Czech Republic (24%), and
Ireland (24%). Weekly Mass attendance
is 7% among French, and 17% among
British, Catholic young adults.

5. Only 26% of French young adults, and
21% British ones, identify as Christians.
Only 7% of young adults in the UK
identify as Anglicans, compared to 6%
as Muslims. In France, 2% identify as
Protestants, and 10% as Muslims. "
--
John Ritson

http://www.avg.com
Cloud Hobbit
2018-03-21 21:04:20 UTC
The problem is that the believers who are so adamant about the evils of sex are the ones who pop out the most offspring whom they then indoctrinate and create more believers.

It seems clear that atheists have a duty to get in more happy sexy time so we can create more rational humans and breed out the idiot theists.

Its just a simple fact for you to realize.
%
2018-03-21 21:09:18 UTC
too bad you never get to have any sex and do your part
StanFast
2018-03-21 21:12:07 UTC
I must be the non idiot theist category.
Yap Honghor
Can you lifeless moron troll in forums like alt.religiousshit, or alt.religiousstupidity?
StanFast
2018-03-21 21:10:53 UTC
the idiot theists.
Do you really think there is no deity?
Cloud Hobbit
2018-03-21 22:34:19 UTC
Do you really think there is no deity?
______________

I see no reason to.

Certainly not the biblical one.
StanFast
2018-03-21 23:51:02 UTC
Post by StanFast
Do you really think there is no deity?
______________
I see no reason to.
Certainly not the biblical one.
Looks like there is room in your mind for the idea then.
Maybe you have trouble perceiving things clearly in your head.
Cloud Hobbit
2018-03-22 08:47:45 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
______________
I see no reason to.
Certainly not the biblical one.
Looks like there is room in your mind for the idea then.
Maybe you have trouble perceiving things clearly in your head.
_____________________

There's always room for genuine evidence. I know of none.

As to perception I think my bullshit detector works well.
To me the Christian religion and the Hindu religion are equally ridiculous.

Most importantly to me is the Christian moral code is unlivable and evil therefore.

Having high standards is fine. Having impossible standards is pointless.

If Christian morality is wrong the it could not have come from an omnibenevelolent God.

Such an entity would through its omnipotence know better than to FUCK with our psyche that way If it wants us to thrive.

I'm open to the possibility of the existence of some kind of supreme being, just not the Judeo/Christian one.

I prefer my deity not be irrational and evil.
StanFast
What do you think a deity is in the first place?
Smiler
2018-03-22 22:40:36 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
______________
I see no reason to.
Certainly not the biblical one.
Looks like there is room in your mind for the idea then. Maybe you have
trouble perceiving things clearly in your head.
_____________________
There's always room for genuine evidence.
What do you think a deity is in the first place?
A figment of your imagination.
--
Smiler, The godless one. a.a.# 2279
All gods are tailored to order. They're made

StanFast
That is simply not the case.
Smiler
2018-03-23 23:00:58 UTC
Post by StanFast
Post by Smiler
Post by Cloud Hobbit
______________
I see no reason to.
Certainly not the biblical one.
Looks like there is room in your mind for the idea then. Maybe you
have trouble perceiving things clearly in your head.
_____________________
There's always room for genuine evidence.
What do you think a deity is in the first place?
A figment of your imagination.
That is simply not the case.
So you say. Now prove it.

Street
The hell it ain't.
hypatiab7
2018-03-25 01:10:33 UTC
Post by StanFast
Post by Smiler
Post by Cloud Hobbit
______________
I see no reason to.
Certainly not the biblical one.
Looks like there is room in your mind for the idea then. Maybe you have
trouble perceiving things clearly in your head.
_____________________
There's always room for genuine evidence.
What do you think a deity is in the first place?
A figment of your imagination.
That is simply not the case.
Please provide evidence that your god, whether formless or material, inside
or outside of space and time, ever existed. And, don't give me any nonsense about humans not being able to do this and that only your god can. We don't
accept personal faith as evidence.
%
2018-03-25 01:17:26 UTC
Post by StanFast
Post by Smiler
Post by Cloud Hobbit
______________
I see no reason to.
Certainly not the biblical one.
Looks like there is room in your mind for the idea then. Maybe you have
trouble perceiving things clearly in your head.
_____________________
There's always room for genuine evidence.
What do you think a deity is in the first place?
A figment of your imagination.
That is simply not the case.
Please provide evidence that your god, whether formless or material, inside
or outside of space and time, ever existed. And, don't give me any nonsense about humans not being able to do this and that only your god can. We don't
accept personal faith as evidence.
you don't accept anything as evidence ,
and if fails me to understand why ,
you continually ask for something you can and will deny ,
i would think it would be easier to ,
start your day by saying no and not having to talk the rest of the day
Andrew
2018-03-24 23:07:41 UTC
Please provide evidence that your god, whether formless or
material, inside or outside of space and time, ever existed.
"And ye shall seek me, and find me, when
ye shall search for me with all your heart."
~ God

Try it!

"And I will be found of you, saith the LORD."

~ Jerimiah 29:13-14

If you do, you will find Him.
Melzzzzz
2018-03-25 04:24:46 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by hypatiab7
Please provide evidence that your god, whether formless or
material, inside or outside of space and time, ever existed.
"And ye shall seek me, and find me, when
ye shall search for me with all your heart."
~ God
Try it!
"And I will be found of you, saith the LORD."
~ Jerimiah 29:13-14
If you do, you will find Him.
You can find Him only in your dreams.... Bible si book of fiction...
StanFast
I can and will at the appropriate time as He directs me to.
Smiler
2018-03-27 01:32:22 UTC
Post by StanFast
Post by hypatiab7
Post by StanFast
Post by Smiler
Post by Cloud Hobbit
______________
I see no reason to.
Certainly not the biblical one.
Looks like there is room in your mind for the idea then. Maybe
you have trouble perceiving things clearly in your head.
_____________________
There's always room for genuine evidence.
What do you think a deity is in the first place?
A figment of your imagination.
That is simply not the case.
Please provide evidence that your god
I can and will at the appropriate time as He directs me to.
Another lame excuse for not being able to present any evidence.

2018-03-24 07:52:51 UTC
What do you think a deity is in the first place?
__________________

Unproven.
Unevidenced.
Imaginary.
Impossible.
Unnecessary.
Fiction.
Irrelevant.
Nonsensical.
Irrational.
Nonexistent.
Hollis Brown Jr.

Alex W.
2018-03-21 23:30:18 UTC
Post by John Ritson
[...]
Note that the questionnaire asked after allegiance to a religion or
denomination, as well as religious behaviour.

What is glaringly absent is the question whether these young people
believe in god(s).

In general terms, then, this survey was looking not at belief but at
cultural affiliations, family loyalties and maintenance of traditions.

While this is bad news for established churches, it says little about
actual levels of agnosticism or atheism.
Robert Carnegie
2018-03-22 08:23:34 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Ritson
[...]
People believe either in their family's gods or in some cult that
recruited them at in impressionable age (30 and under or 40 an over).
These are neither, so they're atheists.

Having said that - cults are liable to tell members to give false
answers to surveys, such as when they join an institution that prefers
to keep the cult out.
Alex W.
2018-03-23 01:33:19 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Ritson
[...]
https://faithsurvey.co.uk/uk-christianity.html

Contrast the numbers between church attendance and belief in "some kind
of spiritual power".
Post by Robert Carnegie
Having said that - cults are liable to tell members to give false
answers to surveys, such as when they join an institution that prefers
to keep the cult out.
I have heard that, too.
But in strictly numerical terms, such false answers must be small enough
to be "noise".
Robert Carnegie
2018-03-23 02:01:06 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Ritson
[...]
Yeah, the country also has Muslims. And Hindus, etc.
to be "noise".
Malcolm McMahon
Which misses the point that there are many people who feel there is some kind of spiritual power, but have no strong views on the nature of that power or loyalty to any established religion.
Kevrob
2018-03-23 11:44:28 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Alex W.
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Ritson
[...]
If you suspect there is some "spiritual power," but can't provide any
reliable evidence for it past some warm fuzzies, that doesn't say much.
Unlike traditional religions who claim to have THE TRUTH, these
"spiritual but not religious" types could well be just "listening'
to their own subconscious minds. Even if some entity was exudes
these feewings, who is to say such a boojum would be benevolent, or
even neutral towards humans?

IMNSHO, these are people too CS to either declare themselves
part of a traditional belief system or to discard all such.
They are the modern equivalent of A&P Catholics, or HMD
Christians. (Hatched, matched and dispatched.) Would they
benefit from a self-inventory of their beliefs, and actually
deciding that they are dabbers in the fantastic? Maybe that
would scare some of them too much. Belief in ghodz or in the
less defined "forces of goodness" is a convenient crutch for
facing life.

Kevin R
Robert Carnegie
2018-03-24 05:06:22 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Alex W.
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Ritson
[...]
That's sort of true - it seems that in America, even more,
people believe for instance in "angels" as supernatural social
workers but not so much as agents of a personalised god -
but I presume that the "church attendance" statement refers to
Christianity, broadly; religion that reveres Christ - although
Islam also does that, a bit; it's complicated. Ish.
Anyway, Britain has other religions, too.
Smiler
2018-03-25 02:33:55 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Alex W.
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Ritson
"Nearly three-quarters of young Brits identify as having no
religion, a report suggests.
[...]
Yep. Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Sikhs, Rastafarians, Buddhists and, according
to the census, some Jedi too. All those add up to less than 10% of the population.

2018-03-23 12:13:35 UTC
Post by John Ritson
"Nearly three-quarters of young Brits identify as having no religion, a
report suggests.
Nearly 3/4s of Britons youth will enjoy the fires of hell.

The Purpose of the NT Word of God is not to inform as it did in
the OT,but instead to form us in the very image of Jesus Christ.
*****
John Ritson
2018-03-23 15:59:03 UTC
Post by John Ritson
"Nearly three-quarters of young Brits identify as having no religion, a
report suggests.
Nearly 3/4s of Britons youth will enjoy the fires of hell.
A meaningless threat that will not bother them at all.
--
John Ritson

http://www.avg.com
duke
2018-03-24 22:20:12 UTC
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
"Nearly three-quarters of young Brits identify as having no religion, a
report suggests.
Nearly 3/4s of Britons youth will enjoy the fires of hell.
A meaningless threat that will not bother them at all.
But that's the failure mode. I don't lose, they do in spiritual suicide that
they see as a successful life..

*****
John Ritson
2018-03-24 23:40:30 UTC
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
"Nearly three-quarters of young Brits identify as having no religion, a
report suggests.
Nearly 3/4s of Britons youth will enjoy the fires of hell.
A meaningless threat that will not bother them at all.
But that's the failure mode. I don't lose, they do in spiritual suicide that
they see as a successful life..
They are just as unconcerned about threats from your imaginary deity as
you are about the threat that Shango or Wotan are going to punish you
for your lack of belief in them.
--
John Ritson

http://www.avg.com
duke
2018-03-25 22:48:49 UTC
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
"Nearly three-quarters of young Brits identify as having no religion, a
report suggests.
Nearly 3/4s of Britons youth will enjoy the fires of hell.
A meaningless threat that will not bother them at all.
But that's the failure mode. I don't lose, they do in spiritual suicide that
they see as a successful life..
They are just as unconcerned about threats from your imaginary deity as
you are about the threat that Shango or Wotan are going to punish you
for your lack of belief in them.
And then one day we'll find out who's right.

2018-03-26 07:02:45 UTC
And then one day we'll find out who's right.

the dukester

So there's no need to discuss it further.

Live and let live.
duke
2018-03-26 12:06:20 UTC
On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 00:02:45 -0700 (PDT), Cloud Hobbit
Post by duke
And then one day we'll find out who's right.
the dukester
So there's no need to discuss it further.
Live and let live.
But your demise is being evaluated now.

No, actually if we're right then when you're dead there's no "you" to find out anything.
duke
2018-04-07 12:17:55 UTC
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 07:56:01 -0700 (PDT), Malcolm McMahon
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
"Nearly three-quarters of young Brits identify as having no religion, a
report suggests.
Nearly 3/4s of Britons youth will enjoy the fires of hell.
A meaningless threat that will not bother them at all.
But that's the failure mode. I don't lose, they do in spiritual suicide that
they see as a successful life..
They are just as unconcerned about threats from your imaginary deity as
you are about the threat that Shango or Wotan are going to punish you
for your lack of belief in them.
And then one day we'll find out who's right.
No, actually if we're right then when you're dead there's no "you" to find out anything.
Which of course is totally contrary to God revealing his heavenly kingdom to us
that die in his grace.

Remember, just because there was NO YOU before you were conceived doesn't mean
there is NO YOU when you die and stand in judgment before God.

*****
John Ritson
2018-04-07 14:18:51 UTC
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
they see as a successful life..
They are just as unconcerned about threats from your imaginary deity as
you are about the threat that Shango or Wotan are going to punish you
for your lack of belief in them.
And then one day we'll find out who's right.
No, actually if we're right then when you're dead there's no "you" to find out
anything.
Which of course is totally contrary to God revealing his heavenly kingdom to us
that die in his grace.
Remember, just because there was NO YOU before you were conceived doesn't mean
there is NO YOU when you die and stand in judgment before God.
Which imaginary deity do you mean by "God"?
Shango, or Wotan, or Krishna, or...
--
John Ritson

http://www.avg.com
duke
2018-04-08 13:30:59 UTC
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
they see as a successful life..
They are just as unconcerned about threats from your imaginary deity as
you are about the threat that Shango or Wotan are going to punish you
for your lack of belief in them.
And then one day we'll find out who's right.
No, actually if we're right then when you're dead there's no "you" to find out
anything.
Which of course is totally contrary to God revealing his heavenly kingdom to us
that die in his grace.
Remember, just because there was NO YOU before you were conceived doesn't mean
there is NO YOU when you die and stand in judgment before God.
Which imaginary deity do you mean by "God"?
Shango, or Wotan, or Krishna, or...
None of those. There is only one (1) living God almighty - creator of all
things in existence.

*****
John Ritson
2018-04-08 16:06:08 UTC
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 07:56:01 -0700 (PDT), Malcolm McMahon
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
Post by John Ritson
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
they see as a successful life..
They are just as unconcerned about threats from your imaginary deity as
you are about the threat that Shango or Wotan are going to punish you
for your lack of belief in them.
And then one day we'll find out who's right.
No, actually if we're right then when you're dead there's no "you" to find
out
Post by John Ritson
anything.
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
that die in his grace.
Remember, just because there was NO YOU before you were conceived doesn't mean
there is NO YOU when you die and stand in judgment before God.
Which imaginary deity do you mean by "God"?
Shango, or Wotan, or Krishna, or...
None of those. There is only one (1) living God almighty - creator of all
things in existence.
So you must mean Brahma.
--
John Ritson

http://www.avg.com
duke
2018-04-09 12:21:00 UTC
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
Post by John Ritson
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
they see as a successful life..
They are just as unconcerned about threats from your imaginary deity as
you are about the threat that Shango or Wotan are going to punish you
for your lack of belief in them.
And then one day we'll find out who's right.
No, actually if we're right then when you're dead there's no "you" to find
out
Post by John Ritson
anything.
Post by John Ritson
Post by duke
that die in his grace.
Remember, just because there was NO YOU before you were conceived doesn't mean
there is NO YOU when you die and stand in judgment before God.
Which imaginary deity do you mean by "God"?
Shango, or Wotan, or Krishna, or...
None of those. There is only one (1) living God almighty - creator of all
things in existence.
So you must mean Brahma.
Well, you may believe in brahma, but I'm a Roman Catholic.

2018-04-09 01:56:00 UTC
Post by John Ritson
[...]
Right, most of the brain damaged Brits had been deposited in America 300 years ago....