The end of work? Distributing the Wealth created by AIs
2017-01-05 23:04:18 UTC
https://soupdragonsite.wordpress.com/2017/01/05/the-end-of-work-distributing-the-wealth-from-ai/

Some news today might prove to be one of the first indications of the biggest
social change since the invention of agriculture, for good or ill. And many of
us might live to see it.
Siri Cruise
2017-01-06 00:21:51 UTC
https://soupdragonsite.wordpress.com/2017/01/05/the-end-of-work-distributing-t
he-wealth-from-ai/
Some news today might prove to be one of the first indications of the biggest
social change since the invention of agriculture, for good or ill. And many of
us might live to see it.
Look up post-abundance or post-scarcity society. This is the assumed economy of
Star Trek: TNG. It doesn't depend on advanced AI but the kind of automation that
became possible in the 1950s with the programmable electronic computer.
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'
Free the Amos Yee one.
Yeah, too bad about your so-called life. Ha-ha.
Malcolm McMahon
2017-01-06 09:02:28 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Malcolm McMahon
https://soupdragonsite.wordpress.com/2017/01/05/the-end-of-work-distributing-t
he-wealth-from-ai/
Some news today might prove to be one of the first indications of the biggest
social change since the invention of agriculture, for good or ill. And many of
us might live to see it.
Look up post-abundance or post-scarcity society. This is the assumed economy of
Star Trek: TNG. It doesn't depend on advanced AI but the kind of automation that
became possible in the 1950s with the programmable electronic computer.
Those sources I've come across just show how little we understand about how to organise such a society. Star Trek is particularly bad. Why do you think we catch barely a glimpse of the civilian civilisation of the Federation? When we do it's totally unconvincing.

Iain Banks, "Culture" novels try harder, but again most of the action is set on the fringes, where the Culture interfaces with more "primitive" civilisations. "Diamond Age" isn't really post-economic despite technology.

And remember there's one resource that technology can't help much with - land.