The status of Pluto
Add Reply
Michael Cole
2018-06-13 16:30:31 UTC
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
John Ritson
2018-06-13 19:20:28 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
Cast a vote. What value should pi have?
--
John Ritson

https://www.avg.com
Michael Cole
2018-06-13 19:48:27 UTC
Pi is a precisely mathematically defined number. By contrast “planet” is just a word we use to describe some of the objects that orbit the sun. Nobody wants to say that every hydrogen molecule in orbit around the sun is a planet. Asteroids are generally not called planets, nor are comets. We could decide that only Jupiter is big enough to qualify. It is purely a question of convention and terminology if we wish to call Pluto a planet or a dwarf planetoid or whatever.
b***@m.nu
2018-06-13 21:25:41 UTC
I say 6, there are usually 6 hearty slices in one pi
Michael Cole
2018-06-13 23:10:47 UTC
Pie are not square. Cornbread are square. Pi are round.
Christopher A. Lee
2018-06-13 20:10:41 UTC
It's not up to us - it's up to the world's astronomers.
Michael Cole
2018-06-13 20:54:04 UTC
I meant “we” in the generic sense.
hleopold
2018-06-13 21:10:55 UTC
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we
call it?
Pluto got along quite fine for 4.5 billion years before we started calling it
a planet, or calling it Pluto. It will get along just fine whatever we call
it.

I personally don’t consider Pluto to be a planet, too small, too many
others pretty much the same size in the same general area of the solar
system. Remember, we used to call a bunch of astroids “planets” for quite
a while, but we kept finding ever more of them, so we dropped it nearly a
hundred years ago, I have not heard anyone during my entire life grumping
that we no longer call those astroids “planets” anymore.

Privately I call Pluto “Fred."
--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

“No gods were physically harmed during the making of this post. However
nothing was in the contract about emotional or psychological harm.”
MarkA
2018-06-13 21:46:23 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
"planet" is a term the ancient Greeks used to describe stars that moved
relative to the other, fixed stars. As Pluto is not visible to the naked
eye, it shouldn't be called a planet. Even Uranus and Neptune are iffy.
--
MarkA

You can safely assume that you have created God in your own image when it
turns out that God hates all the same people you do. -- Anne Lamott
Smiler
2018-06-13 22:54:24 UTC
Post by MarkA
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
"planet" is a term the ancient Greeks used to describe stars that moved
relative to the other, fixed stars. As Pluto is not visible to the
naked eye, it shouldn't be called a planet. Even Uranus and Neptune are
iffy.
Uranus may be iffy. Mine is just fine.
--
Smiler, The godless one. a.a.# 2279
All gods are tailored to order. They're made

Michael Cole
2018-06-13 23:16:01 UTC
By the way, Uranus probably smells like a bad fart. Recent observations detected substantial amounts of hydrogen sulfide and other sulfides and sulfates in the outer atmosphere. They are the main chemicals that cause the odor of offensive farts.
b***@m.nu
2018-06-14 00:41:59 UTC
Post by MarkA
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
"planet" is a term the ancient Greeks used to describe stars that moved
relative to the other, fixed stars. As Pluto is not visible to the naked
eye, it shouldn't be called a planet. Even Uranus and Neptune are iffy.
Fuck it I say we just do away with the lot of them and call them all
pretty bubbles.....

Robert Carnegie
2018-06-13 23:16:38 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not?
Does it matter what we call it?
Dwarf planet, minor planet, Kuiper Belt object.

It's one of a swarm; it isn't a landmark that dominates
the "geography" of the Solar System, as the other famous
planets are. That's why the title of "major planet"
matters. Calling Pluto a "planet" is misleading,
and so it is wrong.