Atheism
Add Reply
someone
2017-03-07 22:36:59 UTC
If a person does not hold the belief that God exists but does not hold the belief that God doesn't exist either, should they be considered an atheist?
%
can you prove you believe you don't believe
someone
Just to be clear, I'm not wondering whether I am an atheist. I'm not.
%
well what are you then
someone
A theist asking people who identify themselves as atheists whether they feel the type of person I described would qualify them to be identified as an atheist. I hope you don't mind, but I'd rather thread responses stayed on topic.
%
2017-03-07 23:31:59 UTC
Post by someone
If a person does not hold the belief that
God
exists but does not
hold the belief that God doesn't exist
either,
should they be
considered an atheist?
can you prove you believe you don't believe
Just to be clear, I'm not wondering whether I
am
an atheist. I'm not.
well what are you then
A theist asking people who identify themselves
as atheists whether
they feel the type of person I described would
qualify them to be
identified as an atheist. I hope you don't mind,
but I'd rather
thread responses stayed on topic.
i was on topic but now that you went dick head
about it i might not stay that way are all brits
such mouthy little shits
hypatiab7
% is a theist troll. You're best bet is to ignore him.
%
2017-03-08 02:48:54 UTC
Post by someone
[...]
oh good i'm glad you found this guy ,
now he's met the biggest lie teller in usenet
Robert Carnegie
2017-03-07 23:34:43 UTC
Post by someone
If a person does not hold the belief that God
exists but does not hold the belief that God
doesn't exist either, should they be considered
an atheist?
Anyone who doesn't worship gods is an atheist.

I believe that the Giant Stone Heads of
Mount Rushmore exist, but I don't worship them.
That's the difference.
b***@m.nu
2017-03-08 00:48:55 UTC
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 14:36:59 -0800 (PST), someone
Post by someone
If a person does not hold the belief that God exists but does not hold the belief that God doesn't exist either, should they be considered an atheist?
You just need to get your terminology correct.
Atheist is a person that has no belief in a fairy/fairies. There is no
strong or weak atheist. There is atheist or not atheist

As far as what you described a person that has no belief in a
fairy/fairies but does not rule out its existence is an agnostic,
which is exactly what you described

The group that believes in fairies, magic, harry potter, tinkerbell
...etc.. are called theists
hypatiab7
2017-03-08 02:42:35 UTC
Post by someone
If a person does not hold the belief that God exists but does not hold the belief that God doesn't exist either, should they be considered an atheist?
You just need to get your terminology correct.
Atheist is a person that has no belief in a fairy/fairies. There is no
strong or weak atheist. There is atheist or not atheist
As far as what you described a person that has no belief in a
fairy/fairies but does not rule out its existence is an agnostic,
which is exactly what you described
The group that believes in fairies, magic, harry potter, tinkerbell
...etc.. are called theists
Not all atheists agree on what an atheist is. Basically, an atheist is
someone who lacks belief in the existence of a god or gods. If anything
is added on to this, it is generally by theist trolls.
%
2017-03-08 02:51:50 UTC
Post by someone
[...]
and not one of the can prove ,
they don't believe what they don't believe

h***@gmail.com
2017-03-08 01:19:00 UTC
Post by someone
If a person does not hold the belief that God exists but does not hold the belief that God doesn't exist either, should they be considered an atheist?
That is a fence sitter, an agnost.
Never in mankind's history there is any report of a magical invincible figure capable of doing whatever it likes...
Those that make such a report are already in the psycho wards!!!
Rick Johnson
Oops, it seems you may have mispelled church. ;-)
Davej
2017-03-08 01:31:50 UTC
No, that's a Jew.
Rick Johnson
2017-03-08 01:57:17 UTC
Post by someone
If a person does not hold the belief that God exists but
does not hold the belief that God doesn't exist either,
should they be considered an atheist?
Hmm. I think a person may be or not an atheist if not they
do not hold the belief that god does not exist or not. But
after following all these logical knots, i cannot be really
sure if i'm not right, or not.

What was the question again?
Tom McDonald
2017-03-08 02:05:00 UTC
Post by someone
If a person does not hold the belief that God exists but does not
hold the belief that God doesn't exist either, should they be
considered an atheist?
Yes. As long as the number of gods one believes in is zero, one is an
atheist.
Christopher A. Lee
2017-03-08 02:19:41 UTC
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 20:05:00 -0600, Tom McDonald
Post by Tom McDonald
Post by someone
If a person does not hold the belief that God exists but does not
hold the belief that God doesn't exist either, should they be
considered an atheist?
Yes. As long as the number of gods one believes in is zero, one is an
atheist.
Why does the moron keep asking such stupid questions?

Can't he get what passes for his mind around the fact that all an
atheist is, is somebody who isn't theist?

Even though it's hardly rocket science.

He seems to want to define atheists by a subset of the consequences of
that.
Smiler
2017-03-08 02:29:45 UTC
Post by Tom McDonald
Post by someone
If a person does not hold the belief that God exists but does not hold
the belief that God doesn't exist either, should they be considered an
atheist?
Yes. As long as the number of gods one believes in is zero, one is an
atheist.
And that has nothing to with whether a god exists or not
HRH, Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh exists. He is a god to some
south seas islanders. I do not believe in him, therefore, I remain an
atheist.
--
Smiler,
The godless one. a.a.# 2279
2017-03-08 02:36:43 UTC
Post by someone
If a person does not hold the belief that God exists but does not hold the belief that God doesn't exist either, should they be considered an atheist?
An agnostic is someone who doesn't know if a god or gods exist. Some
agnostics lack god belief but are open to the possibility that one or
more may exist. Other agnostics do believe in a god or gods but are
open to the possibility that they could be wrong. They simply don't
know for sure. A gnostic knows. (At least they think they do.) An
agnostic doesn't know.

What you describe sounds like a newborn baby. I don't really consider an
infant an atheist. You have to be able to think to know what you do or don't believe. An infant is a blank slate waiting to be filled with knowledge.
Whether that knowledge is good or bad is a whole nother story.