Defending Christian morality
2017-12-29 04:33:17 UTC
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
Alex W.
2017-12-29 07:05:24 UTC
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that
biblical morality is correct? If so why?
A lot of it is -- or should be -- uncontroversial because it is as
near-universal as makes no difference. Injunctions to respect your
parents, to obey the law, not to steal or murder, not to mess with
someone's spouse ... they are self-evidently correct and moral, and can
be argued and justified without resorting to any deity.

The validity of harsher aspects of biblical morality depend very much on
context and circumstances. For us lucky folk, they have no place in
today's world where we have developed other mechanisms for coping, for
ensuring the survival of communities and societies. But if you were to
live on the margins, if your survival and that of your family and
community were constantly at risk of extinction, then a great many of
these rules can make sense. Dietary rules can help promote good
nutrition. Social diktats can ensure a cultural identity, social
harmony, conformity and cohesion: vital when a small community is
constantly threatened by the environment, the climate, or other outside
agencies (especially bigger or more aggressive human neighbours).
Adultery, for example, is not a major problem for us who live in large
cities and even larger nation-states -- but in a small and often
isolated community the ructions caused by sleeping around are a serious
threat to the social fabric. A Kalahari bushman or member of an
Amazonian tribe may scratch his or her head at the notion of such laws
promulgated by an invisible and ineffable sky pixie, but I warrant they
will recognise and approve of the rules themselves, recognising their
utility.
v***@gmail.com
2017-12-29 10:42:41 UTC
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
The Ten Commandments came from Judaism, not Christianity.They are listed in the Torah Book of Exodus.
default
2017-12-29 18:52:05 UTC
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
The Ten Commandments came from Judaism, not Christianity.They are listed in the Torah Book of Exodus.
The "commandments" dealing with god have nothing to do with morality.
The rest of the commandments were plagiarized from Hammurabi, and no
telling where he picked them up.
v***@gmail.com
The English language that you speak was plagiarized from German.
default
You don't understand what plagiarized means?
Siri Cruise
2017-12-29 22:16:22 UTC
Post by default
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that
biblical morality is correct? If so why?
The Ten Commandments came from Judaism, not Christianity.They are listed in
the Torah Book of Exodus.
The "commandments" dealing with god have nothing to do with morality.
The rest of the commandments were plagiarized from Hammurabi, and no
telling where he picked them up.
The new testament has one commandment, love each other, and I'm kind of hoping
that was and is popular with everyone.
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
Teresita
2017-12-29 22:53:32 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
The new testament has one commandment, love each other, and I'm kind of hoping
that was and is popular with everyone.
It has 613 commandments, and one of them is to kill witches on sight.
That doesn't sound like "love each other" to me.
Kevrob
2017-12-29 23:15:38 UTC
Post by Teresita
Post by Siri Cruise
The new testament has one commandment, love each other, and I'm kind of hoping
that was and is popular with everyone.
The NT has 2. The one mentioned above, and to love ghod.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Commandment
Post by Teresita
It has 613 commandments, and one of them is to kill witches on sight.
That doesn't sound like "love each other" to me.
The OLD Testament has the 613 commandments, and only for Jews.

We gentiles are only charged by it with seven, in the
opinion of some:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Laws_of_Noah

Kevin R
default
2017-12-30 12:38:46 UTC
Post by Teresita
It has 613 commandments, and one of them is to kill witches on sight.
That doesn't sound like "love each other" to me.
The OLD Testament has the 613 commandments, and only for Jews.
Nope:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I
have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until
heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part
of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken
place.” (Matthew 5:17)

So all the OT is in force, enforced.

Anyone who thinks differently is a fallen fundamentalist or heretic.
(take your pick)
The 613 are in the Old Testament.
Teresita
2017-12-30 02:19:06 UTC
Post by Teresita
Post by Siri Cruise
The new testament has one commandment, love each other, and I'm kind of hoping
that was and is popular with everyone.
It has 613 commandments, and one of them is to kill witches on sight.
That doesn't sound like "love each other" to me.
The 613 are in the Old Testament.
Matthew 5:18 - For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass,
one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be
fulfilled.

Last time I checked, the earth is still here. That makes the Law valid
for today
v***@gmail.com
Matthew is New Testament.
Teresita
2017-12-30 02:28:17 UTC
Post by Teresita
Post by v***@gmail.com
Post by Teresita
Post by Siri Cruise
The new testament has one commandment, love each other, and I'm kind of hoping
that was and is popular with everyone.
It has 613 commandments, and one of them is to kill witches on sight.
That doesn't sound like "love each other" to me.
The 613 are in the Old Testament.
Matthew 5:18 - For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass,
one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be
fulfilled.
Last time I checked, the earth is still here. That makes the Law valid
for today
Matthew is New Testament.
Correct. So we have the New Testament telling us that the 613 laws of
the Old Testament are still valid.
Siri Cruise
2017-12-30 06:16:33 UTC
Post by Teresita
Post by v***@gmail.com
Post by Teresita
Post by v***@gmail.com
Post by Teresita
Post by Siri Cruise
The new testament has one commandment, love each other, and I'm kind of hoping
that was and is popular with everyone.
It has 613 commandments, and one of them is to kill witches on sight.
That doesn't sound like "love each other" to me.
The 613 are in the Old Testament.
Matthew 5:18 - For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass,
one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be
fulfilled.
Last time I checked, the earth is still here. That makes the Law valid
for today
Matthew is New Testament.
Correct. So we have the New Testament telling us that the 613 laws of
the Old Testament are still valid.
That's really lame. You need something more than 'I used to be a catholic so I
know everything.' The new testament is all about the relation of Mosaic Law and
christians. You can't sum it up with a couple of quotations.
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
default
I'm sure she already knows that.
v***@gmail.com
We don't believe in witches anymore, the kind that cast spells on people, so that's not a big deal.
default
2017-12-30 12:45:42 UTC
Post by Teresita
Post by Siri Cruise
The new testament has one commandment, love each other, and I'm kind of hoping
that was and is popular with everyone.
It has 613 commandments, and one of them is to kill witches on sight.
That doesn't sound like "love each other" to me.
We don't believe in witches anymore, the kind that cast spells on people, so that's not a big deal.
There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his
daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells
fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer. Deuteronomy 18:10

We still have people who practice fortune telling, interpreting omens,
even divination...

sor·cer·er
noun

a person who claims or is believed to have magic powers; a wizard.

That takes in all politicians, car salesmen, real estate agents,
corporate CEO's, etc..
Cloud Hobbit
2017-12-29 23:33:48 UTC
The Ten Commandments came from Judaism, not Christianity.They are listed in the Torah Book of Exodus.

Perhaps you were unaware that Christans include the OT in their belief system.

So the 10 commandments are also part of Christian morality.
v***@gmail.com
2017-12-30 02:09:50 UTC
The source is Judaism.
Yap Honghor
2017-12-30 04:53:54 UTC
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
The Ten Commandments came from Judaism, not Christianity.They are listed in the Torah Book of Exodus.
Myths of Judaism or Christianity are the same....
What are you trying to say?
John Locke
2017-12-29 17:22:21 UTC
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 20:33:17 -0800 (PST), Cloud Hobbit
Post by Cloud Hobbit
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
...yes, on a few points, but you don't need some crappy book to tell
you that killing and stealing is wrong. That's just common sense. And
the blasted thing is pathetically incomplete. They left out "thou
shalt not keep slaves", "thou shalt not beat thine children", "thou
shalt not be a sexist pig", "thou shalt not neglect the poor and
infirm", "thou shalt not treat non-human animals inhumanely"...and a
whole lot more.
v***@gmail.com
Go dig them up and yell at them.
v***@gmail.com
It's common sense?Slavery was not outlawed until the 18th century.
default
2017-12-29 18:53:51 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
...yes, on a few points, but you don't need some crappy book to tell
you that killing and stealing is wrong. That's just common sense. And
the blasted thing is pathetically incomplete. They left out "thou
shalt not keep slaves", "thou shalt not beat thine children", "thou
shalt not be a sexist pig", "thou shalt not neglect the poor and
infirm", "thou shalt not treat non-human animals inhumanely"...and a
whole lot more.
It's common sense?Slavery was not outlawed until the 18th century.
What's your point? We are just now figuring out homosexuality is not
a crime. The bible was an impediment to morality not the font of it.
v***@gmail.com
Morality changes.
Yap Honghor
2017-12-30 04:58:05 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
...yes, on a few points, but you don't need some crappy book to tell
you that killing and stealing is wrong. That's just common sense. And
the blasted thing is pathetically incomplete. They left out "thou
shalt not keep slaves", "thou shalt not beat thine children", "thou
shalt not be a sexist pig", "thou shalt not neglect the poor and
infirm", "thou shalt not treat non-human animals inhumanely"...and a
whole lot more.
It's common sense?Slavery was not outlawed until the 18th century.
What's your point? We are just now figuring out homosexuality is not
a crime. The bible was an impediment to morality not the font of it.
Morality changes.
What? It changes? How?
You mean murder in the past was Ok when it is criminal now?
default
2017-12-30 12:49:42 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
...yes, on a few points, but you don't need some crappy book to tell
you that killing and stealing is wrong. That's just common sense. And
the blasted thing is pathetically incomplete. They left out "thou
shalt not keep slaves", "thou shalt not beat thine children", "thou
shalt not be a sexist pig", "thou shalt not neglect the poor and
infirm", "thou shalt not treat non-human animals inhumanely"...and a
whole lot more.
It's common sense?Slavery was not outlawed until the 18th century.
What's your point? We are just now figuring out homosexuality is not
a crime. The bible was an impediment to morality not the font of it.
Morality changes.
Morality never changes, what society allows changes.

The easy way to understand what is "moral" is to conflate morality
with the "do unto others," rule.
v***@gmail.com
It is in 76 countries.
default
2017-12-30 12:52:56 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
...yes, on a few points, but you don't need some crappy book to tell
you that killing and stealing is wrong. That's just common sense. And
the blasted thing is pathetically incomplete. They left out "thou
shalt not keep slaves", "thou shalt not beat thine children", "thou
shalt not be a sexist pig", "thou shalt not neglect the poor and
infirm", "thou shalt not treat non-human animals inhumanely"...and a
whole lot more.
It's common sense?Slavery was not outlawed until the 18th century.
What's your point? We are just now figuring out homosexuality is not
a crime.
It is in 76 countries.
Then I suggest you move to one of those backward countries with
immoral laws if you feel that strongly.
Teresita
19th Century. December 1865. 13th Amendment.
Kevrob
2017-12-29 21:05:31 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
...yes, on a few points, but you don't need some crappy book to tell
you that killing and stealing is wrong. That's just common sense. And
the blasted thing is pathetically incomplete. They left out "thou
shalt not keep slaves", "thou shalt not beat thine children", "thou
shalt not be a sexist pig", "thou shalt not neglect the poor and
infirm", "thou shalt not treat non-human animals inhumanely"...and a
whole lot more.
It's common sense?Slavery was not outlawed until the 18th century.
Mostly the 19th: the 1800s. France outlawed slavery in 1789, during
its Revolution, but slavery on the island of Great Britain had been
having its legality eroded by various court cases since the mid-1500s,
and into the 1700s.

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_at_common_law

Britain's Parliament passed an Abolition Act in 1834, the
US outlawed slavery after the Civil War in all its territories,
and Saudi Arabia and yemen got around to abolition in 1962:
on paper, anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_abolition_of_slavery_and_serfdom

Tandy, as usual, is sloppy with his "facts."

2017-12-30 04:56:35 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
...yes, on a few points, but you don't need some crappy book to tell
you that killing and stealing is wrong. That's just common sense. And
the blasted thing is pathetically incomplete. They left out "thou
shalt not keep slaves", "thou shalt not beat thine children", "thou
shalt not be a sexist pig", "thou shalt not neglect the poor and
infirm", "thou shalt not treat non-human animals inhumanely"...and a
whole lot more.
It's common sense?Slavery was not outlawed until the 18th century.
Of course it is common sense.....
Slavery was condoned or allowed even as you valued the practice in the past while embracing the stupidity of religion????
v***@gmail.com
If thou shalt not kill is "common sense", why do we have so many wars?
default
2017-12-30 13:02:00 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
...yes, on a few points, but you don't need some crappy book to tell
you that killing and stealing is wrong. That's just common sense. And
the blasted thing is pathetically incomplete. They left out "thou
shalt not keep slaves", "thou shalt not beat thine children", "thou
shalt not be a sexist pig", "thou shalt not neglect the poor and
infirm", "thou shalt not treat non-human animals inhumanely"...and a
whole lot more.
If thou shalt not kill is "common sense", why do we have so many wars?
Because it is uncommon sense?

We choose leaders that are greedy and competitive.
Alex W.
2017-12-30 04:48:57 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
...yes, on a few points, but you don't need some crappy book to tell
you that killing and stealing is wrong. That's just common sense. And
the blasted thing is pathetically incomplete. They left out "thou
shalt not keep slaves", "thou shalt not beat thine children", "thou
shalt not be a sexist pig", "thou shalt not neglect the poor and
infirm", "thou shalt not treat non-human animals inhumanely"...and a
whole lot more.
"Common sense" is rarely common, and equally rarely sensible. It is
equally common-sensical to say "do whatever you want as long as you can
get away with it". For instance, such an attitude is, by and large,
common sense to a criminal underclass who do not conceive of their
chosen profession as wrong, and who know that punishment by those who do
regard it as wrong is rare indeed.

Or take marriage: in many cultures and throughout the ages it was
ubiquitous and remains widespread to consider is self-evident common
sense that marriage should be between man and woman; that there should
be a head of household; that said head should be the man; that this man
should have the right to expect obedience in all matters, if necessary
by force.

To most people in the age of colonialism, it was utterly obvious and
common sense that the white man was innately superior to other races,
and that we therefore have a perfect right to conquer foreign lands,
subjugate its peoples, and do with these newfound possessions as we see
fit.

In short, there are many, MANY examples to prove that common sense is a
poor yardstick indeed for judging anything at all, let alone morality.
aaa
2017-12-30 08:12:23 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
[...]
That's a generalization of common sense. Common sense should be
something that even a three years old can know, but a ninety years old
may ignore.

default
2017-12-30 13:06:47 UTC
Post by Alex W.
"Common sense" is rarely common, and equally rarely sensible. It is
equally common-sensical to say "do whatever you want as long as you can
get away with it". For instance, such an attitude is, by and large,
common sense to a criminal underclass who do not conceive of their
chosen profession as wrong, and who know that punishment by those who do
regard it as wrong is rare indeed.
I think you are describing the behavior of much of Wall Street,
politicians, etc.. The unpunished, unrepentant, irresponsible,
criminal underclass...

Those same people we hold up as "successful" and are told to emulate.
Yap Honghor
2017-12-30 04:52:36 UTC
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
The unawareness may come from being brain damage or innocent young, not of normal grown up age.....
A***@yahoo.com
2017-12-30 05:03:56 UTC
What if you were unaware of any God myths would you still think that biblical morality is correct? If so why?
The unawareness may come from being brain damage or innocent young, not of normal grown up age.....
You express much negativism.