25% of words in Hebrew Bible are of disputed/unknown meaning?
Add Reply
D***@teikyopost.edu
2018-04-05 11:19:08 UTC
Years ago, I saw an episode of the series "Mysteries of the Bible"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysteries_of_the_Bible

in which Lawrence Schiffman stated something like: About 25% of
the words in the Hebrew Bible are of disputed/unknown meaning.

Has anyone heard something similar?
v***@gmail.com
2018-04-05 20:53:01 UTC
Post by D***@teikyopost.edu
Years ago, I saw an episode of the series "Mysteries of the Bible"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysteries_of_the_Bible
in which Lawrence Schiffman stated something like: About 25% of
the words in the Hebrew Bible are of disputed/unknown meaning.
Has anyone heard something similar?
No, but the rumor is a distortion of the truth. The Semitic languages such as Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic use words differently than we English speakers do.
Their usage tends to be more poetic, with much emphasis on historical references. That is why Moslems insist the Koran must be read in Arabic. If you translate it into English, you lose some of the original meaning.
duke
2018-04-06 21:27:34 UTC
Post by D***@teikyopost.edu
Years ago, I saw an episode of the series "Mysteries of the Bible"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysteries_of_the_Bible
in which Lawrence Schiffman stated something like: About 25% of
the words in the Hebrew Bible are of disputed/unknown meaning.
Has anyone heard something similar?
No, but the rumor is a distortion of the truth. The Semitic languages such as Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic use words differently than we English speakers do.
Their usage tends to be more poetic, with much emphasis on historical references. That is why Moslems insist the Koran must be read in Arabic. If you translate it into English, you lose some of the original meaning.
Sounds like teikyo.edu has a problem with truth. There are people with 6 phd's
in old languages that can't figure out exactly what was said to mean thousands
of years ago.

The Purpose of the NT Word of God is not to inform as it did in
the OT,but instead to form us in the very image of Jesus Christ.
2018-04-06 23:53:33 UTC
Post by D***@teikyopost.edu
Years ago, I saw an episode of the series "Mysteries of the Bible"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysteries_of_the_Bible
in which Lawrence Schiffman stated something like: About 25% of
the words in the Hebrew Bible are of disputed/unknown meaning.
Has anyone heard something similar?
It is of from people of confused state of mind.
Since the ancient people of Hebrew had not developed well in everything, you cannot single out their language to do well !
Robert Carnegie
2018-04-08 14:24:04 UTC
Post by D***@teikyopost.edu
Years ago, I saw an episode of the series "Mysteries of the Bible"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysteries_of_the_Bible
in which Lawrence Schiffman stated something like: About 25% of
the words in the Hebrew Bible are of disputed/unknown meaning.
Has anyone heard something similar?
No, and it's a suspiciously round number.

"Gopher wood" comes up about once; no one knows what it is.
"Unclean" comes up as the main subject of the book, as far
as I recall. So the word are not used equally. Several
references translated as "dragon" as common wildlife are
dubious. If you can't eat it or sacrifice it, coverage
is slight.