remember?
Jeanne Douglas
2016-06-25 22:44:37 UTC
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?

"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"

<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>

or

<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
--
JD

Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream
up a God superior to themselves. Most
Gods have the manners and morals of a
spoiled child.
A***@yahoo.com
2016-06-25 22:59:53 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
the christian home schoolers that I've known weren't like the kids I knew in high school. these children were intelligent and smart for their age. Jeannie wants dumbed down kids who throw spit wads and cuss all the time.
Post by Jeanne Douglas
or
<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
spoiled child.
Wexford Eire
Christians lies about everything, including home schooling. Some 98% (some estimates make it higher) of parents who attempt to "home school" their children fail miserably and quickly (within a month or two) return their children to public school. A rare percentage of home schooled children do succeed, but the total are completely negligible when compare3d to the tens of millions who actually go to school.
A***@yahoo.com
2016-06-26 00:27:34 UTC
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by A***@yahoo.com
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
the christian home schoolers that I've known weren't like the kids I knew in high school. these children were intelligent and smart for their age. Jeannie wants dumbed down kids who throw spit wads and cuss all the time.
Christians lies about
no they don't and I didn't lie. Everybody reading this knows you're lying, as we've all been in the public joke schools
Post by Wexford Eire
everything, including home schooling. Some 98% (some estimates make it higher) of parents who attempt to "home school" their children fail miserably
no they don't. there's every interest for you to promote public school so that you can teach evolution only and centralized control.
Post by Wexford Eire
and quickly (within a month or two) return their children to public school. A rare percentage of home schooled children do succeed,
you just make it up all the time.
hypatiab7
2016-06-27 18:41:56 UTC
Post by A***@yahoo.com
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
the christian home schoolers that I've known weren't like the kids I knew in high school. these children were intelligent and smart for their age. Jeannie wants dumbed down kids who throw spit wads and cuss all the time.
Why do you always lie and say that you know someone from anything we discuss?
You've been doing this for years. You are so obvious.
Christopher A. Lee
Pathetic.
Jeanne Douglas
2016-06-26 00:22:47 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
or
<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
Pathetic.
Who agrees that we should allow Texas to secede?

spoiled child.
hypatiab7
2016-06-27 19:31:43 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
or
<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
Pathetic.
Who agrees that we should allow Texas to secede?
I do, but those who want to get out should be helped to escape first.
And all military and other government property should be sold to them
minus all weaponry and other machinery and government schools and
universities and libraries and hospitals and equipment. The remaining
Texans would be on their own unless they buy what they need. And they
can keep whatever oil they still have. There are other sources of energy. Within a few years, the ex-state would be empty. Except for Amerindians
who would buy up all the land and, eventually, apply for statehood. But,
the state and cities would have new names. Aren't dreams wonderful?
John Locke
2016-06-25 23:13:13 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
or
<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
...so child abuse is sanctioned by the "Supreme Court" as long as it
falls within the court's perception of religious freedom. They're
insane. Child abuse is child abuse and should be treated as such.
A***@yahoo.com
child abuse is sanctioned. it's called public schools. been there and saw it for myself.
Wexford Eire
Asshole. Public education in the USA is fine in most places. The fact that you were lousy in school doesn't change that fact. Get your GED, Astero and look for a job.
A***@yahoo.com
no it's not. it's a joke.
Wexford Eire
Over 92% of the physicians, engineers, PhDs, computer programmers, lawyers and accountants in the United States, and most of our Nobel Prize winners, attended public schools, you moron. Of the 8% remaining, the vast majority went to Catholic schools, which aren't much different. You're dissatisfied because you want the schools to teach ID and Creationism. Aside from that, you were a lousy student, weren't you? I've never met a person who graduated public school with an A or B average who ever had anything but good memories of the education they received. The D and C students, on the other hand, all bitch about how lousy public education is. I suppose it is bad if you don't do well.
A***@yahoo.com
2016-06-27 01:37:15 UTC
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by A***@yahoo.com
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by Jeanne Douglas
[...]
I graduated from high school with a high grade point average and with honors, being a lifemember and even student of the month. I liked my teachers, but the situation was a joke. If anything was like a zoo, this was it. you'd never see any of this craziness in Sunday schools.

default
2016-06-26 09:13:56 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
or
<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
That would put them on a par with Catholic schools IMO.

One has to consider the Texas judges making the ruling probably all
went to Texas schools themselves. In light of that, how much worse
off can the children be?

Many children learn in spite of school.
Wexford Eire
2016-06-26 15:55:35 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
or
<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
That would put them on a par with Catholic schools IMO.
Your opinion is utterly moronic. I went to a Catholic HS and received a first class education. These idiots sued for the right NOT to educate their children.
Post by Christopher A. Lee
One has to consider the Texas judges making the ruling probably all
went to Texas schools themselves. In light of that, how much worse
off can the children be?
Another poor bastard who graduated with a low C average, aren't you?
default
2016-06-26 17:04:30 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
or
<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
That would put them on a par with Catholic schools IMO.
Your opinion is utterly moronic. I went to a Catholic HS and received a first class education. These idiots sued for the right NOT to educate their children.
You only think you did because that is what they told you. I went to
both a Catholic 2 years, 2 schools, and public 2 years. (high schools
- 8 years of Catholic grammar school.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by Christopher A. Lee
One has to consider the Texas judges making the ruling probably all
went to Texas schools themselves. In light of that, how much worse
off can the children be?
One hell of a lot worse off. The parents want them to learn nothing at all.
You seem to think that children are not curious and full of interest
about the world around them. Children learn.

Teaching is passive, learning is active.

I learned a lot bumming around the country on my motorcycle. Some of
the most lively curious and active children I met on the road in a
hippie bus. Imagine conversing with a 7 year old who can match most
adults with their knowledge, and the self-confidence was nothing short
of amazing. (and I don't use the word amazing lightly)
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Many children learn in spite of school.
--
Another poor bastard who graduated with a low C average, aren't you?
No just an electrical engineer who made some of the first "smart
bombs" in the 70's and the first plasma panel displays, and plasma
display calculators long before the first led or T! 30 came on the
scene.

But I also worked in a railroad "section crew," up in Montana,
breakfast cook at the Canyon campground Yellowstone Park, handyman at
a lodge along NC's outer banks, etc.. THAT too is an education,
idiot!

Read up on how Finland educates it's youngsters. They play and
interact socially, the "teachers" are just there to answer questions
and guide them. Their children surpass all but some Chinese schools
and their children are happy not pressured into learning.
Rick Johnson
2016-06-26 18:17:21 UTC
[...] Some of the most lively curious and active children I
met on the road in a hippie bus. Imagine conversing with a
7 year old who can match most adults with their knowledge,
and the self-confidence was nothing short of amazing. (and
I don't use the word amazing lightly)
Yes, which in my estimation, is a result of not offloading
the rearing of children to the corrupting influence of mass-
media, and instead, encouraging free thought and exposing
them to many diverse experiences. In other words, not
treating them like stereotypical children.
Wexford Eire
2016-06-30 16:35:08 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
[...]
No. I know damn well I received a good education because many of my friends went to the local public schools, which were quite good by the way, and we often discussed our classes and our ambitions. My SAT scores were over 1400 (when the highest SAT score possible was 1600), and I wasn't the best student in the class. One of my fellow students scored 1580 on the SAT and 800 on the World History AP exam. Ten of my classmates received appointments to the Military Academies, and several others were admitted to Ivy League schools. My graduating class eventually produced a number of PhDs, MDs, and JDs, along with engineers, military officers, accountants and others. .When I went to a private secular university after high school, I was ahead of most of my public school counterparts. In one small example of the quality of the education we received, summer reading was assigned and we were tested on it. The books we were assigned between my junior and senior year were "Crime and Punishment," Tolstoy's "Resurrection," Dumas' "count of Monte Cristo," and several short stories including works by Kafka, Mann, and James Joyce. My public school counterparts were completely ignorant of the authors and astounded that we had to read over the summer.
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by Christopher A. Lee
One has to consider the Texas judges making the ruling probably all
went to Texas schools themselves. In light of that, how much worse
off can the children be?
One hell of a lot worse off. The parents want them to learn nothing at all.
You seem to think that children are not curious and full of interest
about the world around them. Children learn.
Not if they're taught arrant religious nonsense and to scorn scholarship and true learning, which is what this couple is done. Do you have any concept of how utter evil, how disgusting and abusive this is? Parents who attempt to raise their children in ignorance should have the children removed and should be sent to mental evaluation and counseling.
Post by default
Teaching is passive, learning is active.
So what? You can't learn if the things to learn are taken away and replaced by superstition and nonsense. These parents don't want to teach their children anything. Why can't you get that through your skull?
Post by default
I learned a lot bumming around the country on my motorcycle. Some of
the most lively curious and active children I met on the road in a
hippie bus. Imagine conversing with a 7 year old who can match most
adults with their knowledge, and the self-confidence was nothing short
of amazing. (and I don't use the word amazing lightly)
I met plenty of hippies, and went to school with score of them. I never met one who wasn't an utter moron.
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Many children learn in spite of school.
--
Another poor bastard who graduated with a low C average, aren't you?
No just an electrical engineer who made some of the first "smart
bombs" in the 70's and the first plasma panel displays, and plasma
display calculators long before the first led or T! 30 came on the
scene.
The first smart bombs, wire controlled, were made in the 1940s, but I assume you're talking about the weapons developed toward the end of the Vietnam war. I worked on smart weapons, too, the GBU 16, AGM 130, and the Hellfire Missile.
Post by default
But I also worked in a railroad "section crew," up in Montana,
breakfast cook at the Canyon campground Yellowstone Park, handyman at
a lodge along NC's outer banks, etc.. THAT too is an education,
idiot!
Good for you. I did crap work, too, learned nothing from it, and it all pointed to the value of a real education.
The Chinese are subject to testing that determines everything in their lives. School is about memorization more than understanding and Chinese who can afford it send the children to prep schools after normal school hours and hire tutors to get them through the national exams. Once through high school, they send them abroad because their universities aren't very good.
default
2016-07-01 15:16:39 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
[...]
My own Catholic grammar school "education" consisted of 60 and 70 year
old nuns, with absolutely no vocation for teaching, concerning
themselves with establishing dominance and stamping out
"disobedience." The reiterated lesson was to tell us how holy they
and priests were and how god would punish us.

Learning was entirely rote memorization and repetition, I didn't
discover how fascinating history was until I was in the Navy. I
learned to read by having my Dad help me with the Sunday color comics
in the newspaper. In class I was staring out the window most of the
time daydreaming or finding ways to challenge their authority.

I read the unabridged Moby Dick by age seven along with an English
translation of The DeCameron, Pearl Buck's "The Good Earth," The
Canterbury Tales, etc.. They weren't "required reading." Three
Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo, Prisoner of Zenda, James Joyce, and
of course John Cleland, Frank Harris, D. H. Lawrence, J. D. Salinger,
Steinbeck, etc..

Tolstoy and Dostoevsky I have no taste for.

By contrast the two years in public school were with people who
actually made a profession of teaching and were enthusiastic about it.
I stayed after school finished because it was that interesting, and
when I wasn't doing well (right after leaving a Catholic High School
- I really hated school then) they sent me off to have my IQ tested,
decided I was "gifted" and sent me off to learn Electronics. (which
was my hobby)

It was a real comedown to be back in a Catholic High School for my
last year, but I had some hope by then and managed to graduate. They
were going to fail me because I refused to attend graduation
rehearsal... it was on a Saturday, and just a lot of blow hard
propaganda for the parents that were forking over some serious change
to have their children abused....

To "punish" me I had to stay after school one hour for a week. I
assembled a voice emulator for the Physics teacher (an old nun) and
spent time with the lay English teacher teaching her to play chess. It
was almost as much fun as I could have at home, building rockets,
making gun powder, cannons, flares, and hydrogen balloons.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by Christopher A. Lee
One has to consider the Texas judges making the ruling probably all
went to Texas schools themselves. In light of that, how much worse
off can the children be?
One hell of a lot worse off. The parents want them to learn nothing at all.
You seem to think that children are not curious and full of interest
about the world around them. Children learn.
Not if they're taught arrant religious nonsense and to scorn scholarship and true learning, which is what this couple is done. Do you have any concept of how utter evil, how disgusting and abusive this is? Parents who attempt to raise their children in ignorance should have the children removed and should be sent to mental evaluation and counseling.
I have an absolutely perfect idea of how "utter evil, how disgusting
and abusive this is." You are describing my experience in Catholic
school! Complete with "arrant religious nonsense, etc.."

Children are more resilient than we credit them. Probably all those
shrinks explaining how Charles Manson's childhood turned him into a
monster.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Teaching is passive, learning is active.
So what? You can't learn if the things to learn are taken away and replaced by superstition and nonsense. These parents don't want to teach their children anything. Why can't you get that through your skull?
Religious instruction is child abuse, I'll go one better: "ANY
ideological indoctrination is child abuse." Doesn't matter if they
are spouting off about god, expounding on racial bigotry, sexuality,
homosexuality, or political nationalism.

Witness Israel and Palestine. Would that go on if the children were
taken from their parents and educated and socialized with one another?

People should learn to think for themselves. Question everything and
every one - particularly those people telling you they have YOUR best
interest in THEIR hearts.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
I learned a lot bumming around the country on my motorcycle. Some of
the most lively curious and active children I met on the road in a
hippie bus. Imagine conversing with a 7 year old who can match most
adults with their knowledge, and the self-confidence was nothing short
of amazing. (and I don't use the word amazing lightly)
I met plenty of hippies, and went to school with score of them. I never met one who wasn't an utter moron.
I think you met "stoners." They are a sub-culture of the hippie
"philosophy." There are some remarkably erudite people that are also
hippies as a result of their choices and lifestyle. But I'll grant
you: they were in the minority...

Collectively I dislike a lot of "groups," but individually I keep an
open mind. Generally I hate PhD's, many of them can't learn because
they know it all. I like engineers because they know they don't know
it all. Generally speaking...

I think too many PhD's get into management positions and suck down
exorbitant salaries simply because it looks good to investors or
regulators to introduce a "doctor" to speak for the company. The
PhD's, on the other hand, probably think they are overpaid because
they are that smart.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Many children learn in spite of school.
--
Another poor bastard who graduated with a low C average, aren't you?
No just an electrical engineer who made some of the first "smart
bombs" in the 70's and the first plasma panel displays, and plasma
display calculators long before the first led or T! 30 came on the
scene.
The first smart bombs, wire controlled, were made in the 1940s, but I assume you're talking about the weapons developed toward the end of the Vietnam war. I worked on smart weapons, too, the GBU 16, AGM 130, and the Hellfire Missile.
This was in the 70's out in California. I think the euphemism went
something like "optically guided free fall munitions" or something
like that. Where they show the concrete bunker and a bird's eye view
that goes to noise? They didn't have a designation since this was
'think tank" stuff back then. It did have classified code names. One
place I worked at had a division that was playing with blind
(naturally blind) electric eels, trying to adapt their prey locating,
to finding submarines.

They already had primitive optically guided bombs in WW2...

I'm amazed at some of the shit that was developed in WW2.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
But I also worked in a railroad "section crew," up in Montana,
breakfast cook at the Canyon campground Yellowstone Park, handyman at
a lodge along NC's outer banks, etc.. THAT too is an education,
idiot!
Good for you. I did crap work, too, learned nothing from it, and it all pointed to the value of a real education.
I figure I can learn something from everyone. I learned to stuff
newspaper under my motorcycle jacket and put a plastic garbage bag
over that, after watching a homeless man bed down for the night.

A snowmobile suit is nice, but if you're a thousand miles from nowhere
and the weather turns to shit...

It isn't the fault of an experience if you don't learn something from
it.
Wexford Eire
2016-07-01 19:49:46 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
[...]
That's your experience in one bloody school, if you're telling the truth.
Post by default
I read the unabridged Moby Dick by age seven along with an English
translation of The DeCameron, Pearl Buck's "The Good Earth," The
Canterbury Tales, etc.. They weren't "required reading." Three
Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo, Prisoner of Zenda, James Joyce, and
of course John Cleland, Frank Harris, D. H. Lawrence, J. D. Salinger,
Steinbeck, etc..
All by age seven? Look, you're lying like hell to make a point.
Post by default
Tolstoy and Dostoevsky I have no taste for.
That's a shame.
Post by default
By contrast the two years in public school were with people who
actually made a profession of teaching and were enthusiastic about it.
I stayed after school finished because it was that interesting, and
when I wasn't doing well (right after leaving a Catholic High School
- I really hated school then) they sent me off to have my IQ tested,
decided I was "gifted" and sent me off to learn Electronics. (which
was my hobby)
Good for you.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by Christopher A. Lee
[...]
You're exaggerating like hell, too. I think you're fundie sock puppet who's repeating every scurrilous lie he's ever heard about Catholic education. Nothing you've said is even remotely consistent with what I experienced and what others I've known over the years have ever experienced.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
I learned a lot bumming around the country on my motorcycle. Some of
the most lively curious and active children I met on the road in a
hippie bus. Imagine conversing with a 7 year old who can match most
adults with their knowledge, and the self-confidence was nothing short
of amazing. (and I don't use the word amazing lightly)
I met plenty of hippies, and went to school with score of them. I never met one who wasn't an utter moron.
I think you met "stoners." They are a sub-culture of the hippie
"philosophy." There are some remarkably erudite people that are also
hippies as a result of their choices and lifestyle. But I'll grant
you: they were in the minority...
No, I met Hippies. There were no "sub-cultures of the Hippie philosophy." Hippies were (1) dirty, (2) stupid, (3) immensely boring, (4) completely full of their own bullshit, (5) inclined to intoxication, mostly on drugs. I went to school with a huge number of them, visited hippie communes, went to hippie gatherings and parties, endured them as classmates, and never found one who could carry on a decent conversation, who wasn't completely enveloped in his or herself, who wasn't dirty, and whose main interests weren't drugs and sex.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
But I also worked in a railroad "section crew," up in Montana,
breakfast cook at the Canyon campground Yellowstone Park, handyman at
a lodge along NC's outer banks, etc.. THAT too is an education,
idiot!
Good for you. I did crap work, too, learned nothing from it, and it all pointed to the value of a real education.
I figure I can learn something from everyone. I learned to stuff
newspaper under my motorcycle jacket and put a plastic garbage bag
over that, after watching a homeless man bed down for the night.
I hated motorcycles. I knew two young men killed on them and I wouldn't touch one.
default
2016-07-02 00:14:07 UTC
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
[...]
Three Catholic schools. All grammar school and two Catholic high
schools and one public high school.

This was in Yonkers NY.

I was talking to a co-worker here about her kids who were attending a
private school - she was Catholic so I asked why she just didn't send
them to a Catholic school? Her reply was something like "I wouldn't
wish that on them." Turns out her Catholic school experience was no
better than mine or my sister's. My wife? Ditto experience.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
I read the unabridged Moby Dick by age seven along with an English
translation of The DeCameron, Pearl Buck's "The Good Earth," The
Canterbury Tales, etc.. They weren't "required reading." Three
Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo, Prisoner of Zenda, James Joyce, and
of course John Cleland, Frank Harris, D. H. Lawrence, J. D. Salinger,
Steinbeck, etc..
All by age seven? Look, you're lying like hell to make a point.
Nope. I think Moby Dick took me a week but it, and the Canterbury
Tales, took the longest. CT was in modern English not middle English.
I did read it in middle English later on.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by Christopher A. Lee
[...]
I'd guess you are either lying outright or perhaps time has softened
the memory or you went to a really exceptional school(s?)

Maybe it's a matter of personality too. Maybe I just didn't fit their
mold. My sister got along a lot better than I did, but even she
wouldn't send her kids to a Catholic school. She didn't get any
public schooling and attended all-girls schools.

My old man said he spent his time staring out of windows - same school
he sent me to... but he went to a private technical (or "trade") high
school. I wasn't so lucky, my mother was a self-righteous, bigoted,
judgmental, religious zealot, and I was not her idea of what a son
should be.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
[...]
Yeah, those are what we called "stoners." I do know what sort you are
referring to. For most people it was a phase.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
But I also worked in a railroad "section crew," up in Montana,
breakfast cook at the Canyon campground Yellowstone Park, handyman at
a lodge along NC's outer banks, etc.. THAT too is an education,
idiot!
Good for you. I did crap work, too, learned nothing from it, and it all pointed to the value of a real education.
I figure I can learn something from everyone. I learned to stuff
newspaper under my motorcycle jacket and put a plastic garbage bag
over that, after watching a homeless man bed down for the night.
I hated motorcycles. I knew two young men killed on them and I wouldn't touch one.
I learned to ride down in Puerto Rico when my first wife commandeered
the car. It started as a matter of economy and convenience, but it
was too much fun to stop.

I went cross country 4 times and only had a motorcycle (no car) most
of my life.

In the right hands I think they are safer than automobiles; but they
are not for everyone. You have to be in shape physically, think fast,
multi-task, and have good vision and reflexes. A lot of folks have
one wreck and it scares them for life; but it is not the bike that's
the problem, it's the driver.

"A man's got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry? Stay safe, have
fun, don't get caught.
Wexford Eire
2016-07-02 16:51:20 UTC
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
[...]
And they were worse than the local public schools?
Post by default
I was talking to a co-worker here about her kids who were attending a
private school - she was Catholic so I asked why she just didn't send
them to a Catholic school? Her reply was something like "I wouldn't
wish that on them." Turns out her Catholic school experience was no
better than mine or my sister's. My wife? Ditto experience.
I know from my contacts with many others from all over the country, even the Bible Belt South, that the education in Catholic schools was first rate. Your experience was in Yonkers. I know that schools vary in quality and some are disappointing, but your characterizations and contemptuous dismissal of everything I said tells me more about your rigidity and ignorance than it does about any degree of thoughtfulness or liberalism you acquired at any level of education. Perhaps you attended terrible schools. So what? There are literally thousands of them and most are first rate.
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
I read the unabridged Moby Dick by age seven along with an English
translation of The DeCameron, Pearl Buck's "The Good Earth," The
Canterbury Tales, etc.. They weren't "required reading." Three
Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo, Prisoner of Zenda, James Joyce, and
of course John Cleland, Frank Harris, D. H. Lawrence, J. D. Salinger,
Steinbeck, etc..
All by age seven? Look, you're lying like hell to make a point.
Nope. I think Moby Dick took me a week but it, and the Canterbury
Tales, took the longest. CT was in modern English not middle English.
I did read it in middle English later on.
I still think you're lying.
Post by default
Post by default
It was a real comedown to be back in a Catholic High School for my
last year, but I had some hope by then and managed to graduate. They
were going to fail me because I refused to attend graduation
rehearsal... it was on a Saturday, and just a lot of blow hard
propaganda for the parents that were forking over some serious change
to have their children abused....
To "punish" me I had to stay after school one hour for a week. I
assembled a voice emulator for the Physics teacher (an old nun) and
spent time with the lay English teacher teaching her to play chess. It
was almost as much fun as I could have at home, building rockets,
making gun powder, cannons, flares, and hydrogen balloons.
Nuns were teaching boys in high school? Was this on Mars?
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
[...]
No, that was ALL off them, not some sub-class. The most profound statements they knew were "Wow!" and "Groovy." Their ideas of profound thought were Timothy Leary's inane spewings, old Beatnik poetry, or the whining crap of Bob Dylan. They believed in magic, phony spirituality, self indulgence, inarticulate speech and being dirty. They were disgusting, anti-intellectual, uninformed, and generally ignorant as hell.
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
[...]
It doesn't matter. Bikes are inherently dangerous. I never knew anyone who had one who wasn't seriously injured. One of my adult friends was virtually decapitated in an accident in Conn. Another broke his back and both arms on route 85 in Atlanta. Both of these fellow were accountants, very conscientious, who'd been riding for years. You can have a bike in good shape and a good, conscientious rider, and still wind up spilled over over the highway because of weather or road conditions you didn't anticipate.
default
2016-07-02 21:18:15 UTC
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
[...]
(Emphatically) YES!
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
[...]
Yet, with the exception of a few proselytizing people on this
newsgroup the people I know do agree with me.

It isn't like they are required to meet any standards. The
archdiocese claimed they were accredited but that was only by an
organization run by the same archdiocese who has a financial interest
in saying that they are good.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
I read the unabridged Moby Dick by age seven along with an English
translation of The DeCameron, Pearl Buck's "The Good Earth," The
Canterbury Tales, etc.. They weren't "required reading." Three
Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo, Prisoner of Zenda, James Joyce, and
of course John Cleland, Frank Harris, D. H. Lawrence, J. D. Salinger,
Steinbeck, etc..
All by age seven? Look, you're lying like hell to make a point.
Nope. I think Moby Dick took me a week but it, and the Canterbury
Tales, took the longest. CT was in modern English not middle English.
I did read it in middle English later on.
I still think you're lying.
You didn't know my mother. She had this idea that she needed to know
where I was 24/7 and that meant "staying close to home." No
socializing and little chance to leave our back yard. I had to amuse
myself and there were piles of moldy books in the cellar, so I'd sit
in these homemade lawn chairs in the middle of the yard reading all
day long. She could see me and I didn't have to deal with her.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by default
It was a real comedown to be back in a Catholic High School for my
last year, but I had some hope by then and managed to graduate. They
were going to fail me because I refused to attend graduation
rehearsal... it was on a Saturday, and just a lot of blow hard
propaganda for the parents that were forking over some serious change
to have their children abused....
To "punish" me I had to stay after school one hour for a week. I
assembled a voice emulator for the Physics teacher (an old nun) and
spent time with the lay English teacher teaching her to play chess. It
was almost as much fun as I could have at home, building rockets,
making gun powder, cannons, flares, and hydrogen balloons.
Nuns were teaching boys in high school? Was this on Mars?
Nope. And this physics instructor was ancient. She took a lot of
shit from some of the "jocks" in the class. Brought to tears more
than once. I felt sorry for her. She was a good person and didn't
deserve the ridicule.
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
Post by Wexford Eire
Post by default
[...]
A man's got to know his limitations. If you are inexperienced the
best advice is to pretend you are totally invisible to everyone on the
road, and you're driving on a surface of greased marbles.

There's no such thing as some set of rules to follow that will insure
your safety, a conscientious rider is not a safe rider. To be safe
you have to be in control with a nearly clairvoyant awareness of
what's going on around you. Stay focused, you aren't there to watch
the scenery. (unless your out in the country on a deserted road and
can see for miles in every direction) Stay away from problem drivers
or clumps of cars on the freeways. Watch the other drivers, good and
bad drivers are easy enough to spot. After a time it seems like you
know what they will do next before they know.

Everyone is out to get you. Fighter pilots call it "situational
awareness."

On a freeway if you have a car on your right and left and ahead and
behind - you are an idiot for letting yourself get in that situation
and you need to do something about it. Avoid potential problems, it
is much easier than getting out of a bad spot.

Practice "counter steering." When you need to make an emergency right
turn at speed, twitch the wheel to the left and it throws the bike
into a tight lean that makes the right turn possible without gradually
leaning into the turn, you get a much tighter radius and do it fast.

It is the joker that thinks if he just does the right thing no harm
can befall him. It ain't like that most days. And new riders? It
may be a big deal for them and they may think that everyone is
watching them in awe, they are just asking for a harsh lesson.

Keep a careful watch on the condition of the machine. If some bike
shop worked on it, check their work. Preflight the bike; walk around
and look at and touch things.
Syd M.
2016-07-02 18:53:55 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
or
<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
Well, they're loss. The world needs more burger flippers.

PDW
jdyoung
2016-07-21 22:29:48 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 11:53:55 -0700 (PDT), "Syd M."
Post by Syd M.
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
or
<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
Well, they're loss. The world needs more burger flippers.
PDW
That and maintenance workers

http://www.geocities.ws/pdwright42/about_me.html

LOL!!!

J Young
***@ymail.com

Monkey see, monkey do

http://tiny.cc/6xwr4w
Syd M.

Robert Carnegie
2016-07-21 20:58:32 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
Remember those parents in Texas who sued the state for insisting that
they should be actually be educating their children in their home
"school" and the parents said they were all about to be raptured so all
they had to do with their kids is prepare them for that?
"Texas Supreme Court Rules That Christian Parents Can Keep Their Kids
Stupid"
<http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/06/25/texas-supreme-court-rules-that-c
hristian-parents-can-keep-their-kids-stupid/>
or
<http://bit.ly/28Ud834>
I'm looking at a big unread backlog in a.a ...
according to Snopes.com that isn't what happened.
(This is the same case, yes?)
<http://www.snopes.com/texas-rapture-schooling/>