Blue Comet
2018-01-12 09:05:24 UTC
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1801/c2016_r2_2018_01_07dpjjc.jpg

Inbound from the Oort Cloud, its ion tail is a shade of pretty blue.
c***@optonline.net
2018-01-12 14:20:27 UTC
Beautiful shot !
Christopher A. Lee
2018-01-12 14:24:37 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:20:27 -0500, ***@optonline.net wrote:

>Beautiful shot !

The inaugural run of The Blue Comet....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Comet#/media/File:Blue_Comet_Red_Bank_1929.jpg
b***@m.nu
2018-01-12 19:14:23 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 04:05:24 -0500, "Andrew"
<***@usa.net> wrote:

>https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1801/c2016_r2_2018_01_07dpjjc.jpg
>
>Inbound from the Oort Cloud, its ion tail is a shade of pretty blue.

Wow you are an total idiot aren't you.... When the something is closer
in the foreground than it is in the background that means that is
moving AWAY from you..... Or were you too fucking stupid to realize
that?
Andrew
2018-01-12 20:32:55 UTC
<***@m.nu> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
> "Andrew" wrote:
>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1801/c2016_r2_2018_01_07dpjjc.jpg
>>
>>Inbound from the Oort Cloud, its ion tail is a shade of pretty blue.
>
> Wow you are an total idiot aren't you.... When the something is closer
> in the foreground than it is in the background that means that is
> moving AWAY from you.....

That depends.

> Or were you too fucking stupid to realize that?

A comet's tail always trails away from the Sun
regardless of the trajectory of the comet itself.
Atlatl Axolotl
2018-01-12 21:05:27 UTC
On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 1:32:51 PM UTC-7, Andrew wrote:
> <***@m.nu> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
> > "Andrew" wrote:
> >> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1801/c2016_r2_2018_01_07dpjjc.jpg
> >>
> >>Inbound from the Oort Cloud, its ion tail is a shade of pretty blue.
> >
> > Wow you are an total idiot aren't you.... When the something is closer
> > in the foreground than it is in the background that means that is
> > moving AWAY from you.....
>
> That depends.
>
> > Or were you too fucking stupid to realize that?

.> A comet's tail always trails away from the Sun
.> regardless of the trajectory of the comet itself.

That is correct.

AA
b***@m.nu
2018-01-13 15:28:22 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 13:05:27 -0800 (PST), Atlatl Axolotl
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 1:32:51 PM UTC-7, Andrew wrote:
>> <***@m.nu> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...

>> > Wow you are an total idiot aren't you.... When the something is closer
>> > in the foreground than it is in the background that means that is
>> > moving AWAY from you.....
>>
>> That depends.
>>
>> > Or were you too fucking stupid to realize that?
>>
>.> A comet's tail always trails away from the Sun
>.> regardless of the trajectory of the comet itself.
>
>That is correct.
>
>AA

AA No that is not always correct. A comet DOES NOT always have a tail
produced by the sun and when a comet goes around the sun one of its
tails is pointing at the sun, or at least behind the comet which would
be towards the sun or at least in its general direction
Atlatl Axolotl
2018-01-13 19:02:28 UTC
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 8:28:36 AM UTC-7, ***@m.nu wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 13:05:27 -0800 (PST), Atlatl Axolotl
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That depends.

> >.> A comet's tail always trails away from the Sun
> >.> regardless of the trajectory of the comet itself.
> >
> >That is correct.
> >
> >AA
>
> AA No that is not always correct. A comet DOES NOT always have a tail
> produced by the sun and when a comet goes around the sun one of its
> tails is pointing at the sun, or at least behind the comet which would
> be towards the sun or at least in its general direction

Um, both the ion tail and the dust tail are swept behind it relative
to the sun, pushed by the solar wind.

If you have any photos of comets demonstrating anything otherwise, I would be
interested in seeing them.

AA
b***@m.nu
2018-01-13 15:25:09 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 15:32:55 -0500, "Andrew"
<***@usa.net> wrote:

><***@m.nu> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
>> "Andrew" wrote:
>>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/1801/c2016_r2_2018_01_07dpjjc.jpg
>>>
>>>Inbound from the Oort Cloud, its ion tail is a shade of pretty blue.
>>
>> Wow you are an total idiot aren't you.... When the something is closer
>> in the foreground than it is in the background that means that is
>> moving AWAY from you.....
>
>That depends.

No it does NOT..... If part of an object is bigger that means it is
closer

>> Or were you too fucking stupid to realize that?
>
>A comet's tail always trails away from the Sun
>regardless of the trajectory of the comet itself.

No it does not, You are an incredible fucking moron..... When a comet
is in the oort cloud it only has 1 tail and it is not a tail produced
by the sun. You are such a fucking moron.
Andrew
2018-01-13 15:40:08 UTC
<***@m.nu> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
> "Andrew" wrote:
>><***@m.nu> wrote:

>>> Wow you are an total idiot aren't you.... When the something is closer
>>> in the foreground than it is in the background that means that is
>>> moving AWAY from you.....
>>
>>That depends.
>
> No it does NOT..... If part of an object is bigger that means it is closer
>
>>> Or were you too fucking stupid to realize that?
>>
>>A comet's tail always trails away from the Sun
>>regardless of the trajectory of the comet itself.
>
> No it does not,

Yes it does.

>You are an incredible fucking moron.....

I always appreciate your kind remarks.

Have you ever seen one in the Oort Cloud?
Teresita
2018-01-13 15:47:34 UTC
On 01/13/2018 07:25 AM, ***@m.nu wrote:
> No it does not, You are an incredible fucking moron..... When a comet
> is in the oort cloud it only has 1 tail and it is not a tail produced
> by the sun. You are such a fucking moron.

A comet doesn't have a tail in the Oort cloud. The temps are too low
out there to cause the various ices to vaporize.

Atlatl Axolotl
2018-01-13 19:14:32 UTC
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 8:25:23 AM UTC-7, ***@m.nu wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 15:32:55 -0500, "Andrew"
> <***@usa.net> wrote:
>
> ><***@m.nu> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...

> >> Wow you are an total idiot aren't you.... When the something is closer
> >> in the foreground than it is in the background that means that is
> >> moving AWAY from you.....
> >
> >That depends.
>
> No it does NOT..... If part of an object is bigger that means it is
> closer
>

> >> Or were you too fucking stupid to realize that?
> >
> >A comet's tail always trails away from the Sun
> >regardless of the trajectory of the comet itself.

.> No it does not, You are an incredible fucking moron..... When a comet
.> is in the oort cloud it only has 1 tail and it is not a tail produced
.> by the sun. You are such a fucking moron.

I think Andrew's subject line may be confusing. We are not
seeing this object "in the Oort cloud". We can't even see
the Oort cloud -- dark objects 100,000 AUs away from us.
It's a hypothesis, one that makes sense of phenomena, but
not something that has been directly observed.

At the time the photo was taken, the object was 3 AUs out,
somewhere between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.

Andrew took the line "inbound from the Oort could" from the
description at the Astronomy Picture of the Day's site. I'd
suggest he might want to leave the descriptions on in the future.

AA