Hey Ted!
Atlatl Axolotl
2017-09-11 18:43:28 UTC
I just now ran across this one. Eerily apropos.

A physicist, a mathematician and an engineer were each asked to
establish the volume of a red rubber ball.

The physicist immersed the ball in a beaker full of water and measured
the volume of the displaced fluid.

The mathematician measured the diameter and calculated a triple integral.

The engineer looked it up in his Red Rubber Ball Volume Table.

AtlAxo
Atlatl Axolotl
2017-09-11 18:55:13 UTC
Post by Atlatl Axolotl
I just now ran across this one. Eerily apropos.
A physicist, a mathematician and an engineer were each asked to
establish the volume of a red rubber ball.
The physicist immersed the ball in a beaker full of water and measured
the volume of the displaced fluid.
The mathematician measured the diameter and calculated a triple integral.
The engineer looked it up in his Red Rubber Ball Volume Table.
AtlAxo
Incidentally, that was from this. Some are clever, some are just silly,
and I confess I didn't get the Chomsky one.

https://thoughtcatalog.com/christine-stockton/2013/10/50-people-on-the-most-intellectual-joke-i-know/

aa
Kevrob
2017-09-11 19:52:10 UTC
Post by Atlatl Axolotl
Post by Atlatl Axolotl
I just now ran across this one. Eerily apropos.
A physicist, a mathematician and an engineer were each asked to
establish the volume of a red rubber ball.
The physicist immersed the ball in a beaker full of water and measured
the volume of the displaced fluid.
The mathematician measured the diameter and calculated a triple integral.
The engineer looked it up in his Red Rubber Ball Volume Table.
AtlAxo
Incidentally, that was from this. Some are clever, some are just silly,
and I confess I didn't get the Chomsky one.
https://thoughtcatalog.com/christine-stockton/2013/10/50-people-on-the-most-intellectual-joke-i-know/
Chomsky's professional expertise is as a linguist.

His political pronouncements are Dunning-Krueger in action.

Kevin R
Atlatl Axolotl
2017-09-11 20:04:22 UTC
Post by Atlatl Axolotl
Post by Atlatl Axolotl
I just now ran across this one. Eerily apropos.
A physicist, a mathematician and an engineer were each asked to
establish the volume of a red rubber ball.
The physicist immersed the ball in a beaker full of water and measured
the volume of the displaced fluid.
The mathematician measured the diameter and calculated a triple integral.
The engineer looked it up in his Red Rubber Ball Volume Table.
AtlAxo
Incidentally, that was from this. Some are clever, some are just silly,
and I confess I didn't get the Chomsky one.
https://thoughtcatalog.com/christine-stockton/2013/10/50-people-on-the-most-intellectual-joke-i-know/
Chomsky's professional expertise is as a linguist.
His political pronouncements are Dunning-Krueger in action.
Kevin R
I have a number of friends who are linguists; I've put that joke up and
asked for their interpretation.

One of them despises Chomsky, and in fact has done some work
that challenges one of Chomsky's main assumptions. I expect him to
come through the roof shortly.

Aa
Ted
2017-09-11 20:16:11 UTC
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 13:04:22 -0700 (PDT), Atlatl Axolotl
Post by Atlatl Axolotl
the volume of the displaced fluid.
The mathematician measured the diameter and calculated a triple integral.
The engineer looked it up in his Red Rubber Ball Volume Table.
AtlAxo
Lol. Thanks for sharing that, AA :)

Hmm ... would duke be able to use the table?
Robert Carnegie
What do you think he's lacking? ;-)
Ted
2017-09-12 13:25:26 UTC
Post by Atlatl Axolotl
the volume of the displaced fluid.
The mathematician measured the diameter and
calculated a
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Ted
triple integral.
Post by Atlatl Axolotl
The engineer looked it up in his Red Rubber Ball
Volume
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Ted
Table.
I doubt that Duke is able to do a linear interpolation.
Ted
2017-09-11 20:51:12 UTC
Post by Atlatl Axolotl
AtlAxo
Lol. Thanks for sharing that, AA :)
Hmm ... would duke be able to use the table?
Heh, btw. I've known two physicist frauds. One of them was very
intelligent but just didn't know any physics. The other one was
unable to use a table if it required interpolpation.
Jeanne Douglas
2017-09-11 22:03:26 UTC
Post by Atlatl Axolotl
AtlAxo
Lol. Thanks for sharing that, AA :)
Hmm ... would duke be able to use the table?
Heh, btw. I've known two physicist frauds. One of them was very
intelligent but just didn't know any physics. The other one was
unable to use a table if it required interpolpation.
Bummer. I love interpolating.
It is kinda fun, now that you mention it. :)
Yap Honghor
No, his head spins when seeing all the numbers.
Ted

Jeanne Douglas
2017-09-12 02:14:06 UTC
Reminds me of the joke about a guy who has built a company from the ground up and turned it into
a substantial business. He decides to retire and wants to promote from within and has narrowed it down to 3 candidates.

He decides to make it absolutely fair by asking each candidate the same question.

His candidates are An engineer, an accountant, and a lawyer.

He first brings in the accountant and asks him how much is 2 plus 2?

The accountant says exactly 2 and exactly 2 is 4.

Next the engineer is asked the same question to which he replies approximately 2 and approximately 2 is approximately 4.

Finally the lawyer is asked the same question and he looks over his shoulder and back at the boss and says, "How much do you want it to be?"