Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Add Reply
MattB
2018-04-06 20:58:29 UTC
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?

People disagree all the time, but not all disagreements lead to the
same levels of stress.

Even though people can be passionate about their favorite sport teams,
they can argue about which basketball team is the best without
destroying friendships. In the workplace, co-workers can often dispute
strategies and approaches without risking a long-term fallout.

Political conversations, on the other hand, seem to have become
especially challenging in recent years. Stories of tense Thanksgiving
dinners and of Facebook friends being unfriended have become
commonplace.

Why does this happen?

https://theconversation.com/why-is-it-so-stressful-to-talk-politics-with-the-other-side-92391
Klaus Schadenfreude
2018-04-06 23:53:36 UTC
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
You're doing it wrong.

There should be no stress at all.

Take a deep breath. Tell them they're a stupid, gun-grabbing monkey
that hates America.

So they "un friend" you-- so what? They never *were* your friend.
Cloud Hobbit
2018-04-07 02:52:03 UTC
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
People disagree all the time, but not all disagreements lead to the
same levels of stress.
Even though people can be passionate about their favorite sport teams,
they can argue about which basketball team is the best without
destroying friendships. In the workplace, co-workers can often dispute
strategies and approaches without risking a long-term fallout.
Political conversations, on the other hand, seem to have become
especially challenging in recent years. Stories of tense Thanksgiving
dinners and of Facebook friends being unfriended have become
commonplace.
Why does this happen?
https://theconversation.com/why-is-it-so-stressful-to-talk-politics-with-the-other-side-92391
I suspect at least part of the reason is that technology has made information available instantaneously making it difficult to hide anything any politician happens to say and then it's in your face for the rest of the day. No matter which side of the political spectrum you fall on, this is not a good thing as it just gives more ammo to each side to point out how bad the other one is.

All this reinforces whatever one might think about people on the other side, plus the information superhighway can take you to places that will put government success and failure on display and people are getting better information or insane bullshit.

Identity politics seems to be part of the polarization as well IMO.
The constant divisiveness this creates does not help anybody and everybody can't be a victim.

Those who would deny a woman's right to choose have been pushing very hard lately to prevent that right from being exercised.

Then as a final straw, the candidate that almost nobody thought would win did and the Hillary supporters and probably most Democrats were insulted. I suspect a fair number of Republicans as well.

The way the whole issue of Hillary's campaign trying to scuttle the chances of Bernie Sanders didn't help the general atmosphere either.

I'm not sure if I think the current political atmosphere has been, as some have claimed. Take a look at some vintage political cartoons and you can see that people have frequently been exceedingly nasty when it comes to politics.

Changes in the way Gays are treated now has surely pissed off of a lot of Conservatives.

There are any number of reasons why things have gotten as nasty as they currently are, and I wish they'd stop it. There's more than enough ill will going around and we don't need the people who are representing us to be at war with each other.

Was there ever a time when politicians actually tried to work together for the good of the country?

I know it seemed a lot more civil in the 50's and 60's.
Amazing Answers
2018-04-07 02:58:31 UTC
Post by MattB
[...]
Who's doing that? If they want to choose a rubberized hammer over a plain wooden one over at the hardware store, they can. If they choose to buy a car, they can. They can choose who to vote for. They can choose to get a dog. So it looks like they can choose all sorts of things, so who's trying to stop that?
Cloud Hobbit
2018-04-07 06:45:09 UTC
Those who would deny a woman's right to choose have been pushing very hard lately to prevent that right from being exercised.

Who's doing that?
______________________

The state if Texas for one.

Fortunately, SCOTUS told them to go FUCK themselves.
Malcolm McMahon
2018-04-07 10:16:48 UTC
Post by MattB
[...]
That was "the age of defference" when the mainstream media were rather too
respectful of politicians and their more absurd antics weren't as prominently
on public display.

That was also a time of post-war reconstruction where it was pretty clear to
almost everbody what needed doing.
Don Kresch
2018-04-07 12:29:09 UTC
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Well, for me it's not. Because "the other side" is statists
(who always refuse to think for themselves), and I just don't care to
try to change the minds of the zombies. So there's no stress; I just
rip into their idiocy. I know they'll never stop believing in their
god, so I just have fun getting them to shut the fuck up about how
great their god is. Because that's all I really want: for them to just
slink away.

Don
aa#51, Knight of BAAWA, Jedi Slackmaster
Praise "Bob" or burn in Slacklessness trying not to.
MattB
2018-04-07 19:53:18 UTC
Post by Don Kresch
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Well, for me it's not. Because "the other side" is statists
(who always refuse to think for themselves), and I just don't care to
try to change the minds of the zombies. So there's no stress; I just
rip into their idiocy. I know they'll never stop believing in their
god, so I just have fun getting them to shut the fuck up about how
great their god is. Because that's all I really want: for them to just
slink away.
Now you know for many that isn't true. Duke, Joe, and the like do
more to promote your goals than they harm them. You telling me the
last time Duke was caught in a lie you didn't enjoy his squirming?
Don Kresch
2018-04-07 22:24:18 UTC
Post by MattB
Post by Don Kresch
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Well, for me it's not. Because "the other side" is statists
(who always refuse to think for themselves), and I just don't care to
try to change the minds of the zombies. So there's no stress; I just
rip into their idiocy. I know they'll never stop believing in their
god, so I just have fun getting them to shut the fuck up about how
great their god is. Because that's all I really want: for them to just
slink away.
Now you know for many that isn't true.
I haven't met any statist for whom that isn't true.
Post by MattB
Duke, Joe, and the like do more to promote your goals than they harm them. You telling me the
last time Duke was caught in a lie you didn't enjoy his squirming?
Who's Duke? Don't take that literally; more of "I have it
killfiled, as such it doesn't exist." Because I won't feed the trolls
and kooks.

MattB
2018-04-07 23:16:06 UTC
Post by Don Kresch
Post by MattB
Post by Don Kresch
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Well, for me it's not. Because "the other side" is statists
(who always refuse to think for themselves), and I just don't care to
try to change the minds of the zombies. So there's no stress; I just
rip into their idiocy. I know they'll never stop believing in their
god, so I just have fun getting them to shut the fuck up about how
great their god is. Because that's all I really want: for them to just
slink away.
Now you know for many that isn't true.
I haven't met any statist for whom that isn't true.
That might be true and many of them don't understand the USA isn't a
unitary state.
Post by Don Kresch
Post by MattB
Duke, Joe, and the like do more to promote your goals than they harm them. You telling me the
last time Duke was caught in a lie you didn't enjoy his squirming?
Who's Duke? Don't take that literally; more of "I have it
killfiled, as such it doesn't exist." Because I won't feed the trolls
and kooks.
Duke is a religious nutjob IMO.
Don Kresch
2018-04-07 23:55:26 UTC
Post by MattB
Post by Don Kresch
Post by MattB
Post by Don Kresch
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Well, for me it's not. Because "the other side" is statists
(who always refuse to think for themselves), and I just don't care to
try to change the minds of the zombies. So there's no stress; I just
rip into their idiocy. I know they'll never stop believing in their
god, so I just have fun getting them to shut the fuck up about how
great their god is. Because that's all I really want: for them to just
slink away.
Now you know for many that isn't true.
I haven't met any statist for whom that isn't true.
That might be true and many of them don't understand the USA isn't a
unitary state.
It's not supposed to be, but it has been since 1865.
Post by MattB
Post by Don Kresch
Post by MattB
Duke, Joe, and the like do more to promote your goals than they harm them. You telling me the
last time Duke was caught in a lie you didn't enjoy his squirming?
Who's Duke? Don't take that literally; more of "I have it
killfiled, as such it doesn't exist." Because I won't feed the trolls
and kooks.
Duke is a religious nutjob IMO.
What it is is killfiled.

b***@m.nu
2018-04-07 14:04:25 UTC
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Because there are idiots like you that think there is actually an
"other side"

I mean seriously how fucking stupid are you? do you think that the
cylons actually exist?
max headroom
2018-04-07 14:33:40 UTC
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Because there are idiots like you that think there is actually an "other side"
Ahh, that's why The Donald received 100% of the popular vote.
I mean seriously how fucking stupid are you? do you think that the cylons actually exist?
Don't you mean, "Resistance is futile"?
Kevrob
2018-04-07 17:03:47 UTC
Post by max headroom
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Because there are idiots like you that think there is actually an "other side"
Ahh, that's why The Donald received 100% of the popular vote.
I mean seriously how fucking stupid are you? do you think that the cylons actually exist?
Don't you mean, "Resistance is futile"?
Some would say "Resistance is Useless!"

Kevin R
b***@m.nu
2018-04-07 18:46:23 UTC
On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 07:33:40 -0700, "max headroom"
Post by max headroom
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Because there are idiots like you that think there is actually an "other side"
Ahh, that's why The Donald received 100% of the popular vote.
As in the other thread I did say that stupidity was infectious
Klaus Schadenfreude
I hope you've been quarantined.
MattB
2018-04-07 19:58:50 UTC
Post by b***@m.nu
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Because there are idiots like you that think there is actually an
"other side"
I didn't write the article.
Post by b***@m.nu
I mean seriously how fucking stupid are you? do you think that the
cylons actually exist?
I didn't write the article just put it here for discussion.

Did hypatiab7 sick you on me? Thought your little group considered
yourselves rational beings??
Slaveholders Can Tell Me Nothing About Human Right
2018-04-07 16:09:00 UTC
If you're stressed out, drink some milk; here is how to get some supply
Malcolm McMahon
2018-04-08 11:07:56 UTC
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Today's politics is extraordinarilly tribal. Brexit, Trump, the other side is
no longer merely wrong, they're EVIL. Politicians, largely, no longer even try
to understand the opposing point. Just to understand is to be contaminated,
suspect. The word "politics" has the same derivation as the word "polite".
That's not much in evidence these days.

Humans are not predominantly rational beings. The shit-throwing monkey is still
alive and well in there. Our instinct is to divide ourselves up into mutually
hostile tribes.
MattB
2018-04-08 22:36:57 UTC
On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 11:07:56 -0000 (UTC), Malcolm McMahon
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Today's politics is extraordinarilly tribal. Brexit, Trump, the other side is
no longer merely wrong, they're EVIL. Politicians, largely, no longer even try
to understand the opposing point. Just to understand is to be contaminated,
suspect. The word "politics" has the same derivation as the word "polite".
That's not much in evidence these days.
Humans are not predominantly rational beings. The shit-throwing monkey is still
alive and well in there. Our instinct is to divide ourselves up into mutually
hostile tribes.
What was the excuse when the Obama monkey was in there? Wasn't much
better.
Alex W.
2018-04-09 01:54:47 UTC
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Post by MattB
Why is it so stressful to talk politics with the other side?
Today's politics is extraordinarilly tribal. Brexit, Trump, the other side is
no longer merely wrong, they're EVIL. Politicians, largely, no longer even try
to understand the opposing point. Just to understand is to be contaminated,
suspect. The word "politics" has the same derivation as the word "polite".
That's not much in evidence these days.
Humans are not predominantly rational beings. The shit-throwing monkey is still
alive and well in there. Our instinct is to divide ourselves up into mutually
hostile tribes.
What was the excuse when the Obama monkey was in there? Wasn't much
better.
I do believe that this is pretty much what Malcolm was trying to say.
The phenomenon of shit-throwing monkeys is itself universal, non-tribal.

In this respect, Europe is somewhat less afflicted than the US (Brexit
notwithstanding) because our political landscape is so much more
multi-party than in the US. In America, there really are only two
parties, so it is far easier to fall into the "if you are not with us,
you are against us" mindset. When you have five or more parties vying
for public approval and votes, the voter has many more options and the
parties themselves have a much stronger impulse to gravitate to the
middle of the spectrum where the biggest voting blocks are clustered.