Why Gun Nuts Kill So Many People
Add Reply
Mr. B1ack
2017-11-11 19:40:04 UTC
| What Explains U.S. Mass Shootings? International
| Comparisons Suggest an Answer
| When the world looks at the United States, it sees a land
| of exceptions: a time-tested if noisy democracy, a crusader
| in foreign policy, an exporter of beloved music and film.
|
| But there is one quirk that consistently puzzles America's
| fans and critics alike. Why, they ask, does it experience
| so many mass shootings?
|
| Perhaps, some speculate, it is because American society is
| unusually violent. Or its racial divisions have frayed the
| bonds of society. Or its citizens lack proper mental care
| under a health care system that draws frequent derision
| abroad.
|
| These explanations share one thing in common: Though
| seemingly sensible, all have been debunked by research on
| shootings elsewhere in the world. Instead, an ever-growing
| body of research consistently reaches the same conclusion.
|
| The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass
| shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns.
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/world/americas/mass-shootings-us-
inte
rnational.html>
Right wingers love shooting Americans, even more than they love collecting
welfare, having sex with children and masturbating to gay porn. It's the
only things they can do well.
You don't ACTUALLY read any news, do you ?

Think AMERICANS are violent ??? Tune in to Syria,
South Sudan, Yemen, Afghanistan, Congo ... they
make Americans look like shy retiring schoolmarms
when it comes to violence. Mass slaughter, mass
torture, theocide, genocide, organized rape gangs
and slavery are the norm in big swaths of the world.

But I doubt you find facts anything but inconvenient ...
v***@gmail.com
2017-11-11 21:30:06 UTC

Why, after the OJ Simpson trial, did nobody advocate banning knives?
Ted
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC

Knives don't kill people, guns kill people.
Cloud Hobbit
2017-11-14 02:30:22 UTC
I believe if you check the statistics you will find that 99% of legally purchased firearms are never used in the commission of a crime.

Estimates of how many times a person with a gun stopped a crime a hard to come by because they are seldom reported. Estimates are between 50,000 to 1 million times per year IIRC.
Cloud Hobbit
2017-11-14 03:18:16 UTC
Newer better data.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/27/new-evidence-confirms-what-gun-rights-advocates-have-been-saying-for-a-long-time-about-crime/#ampshare=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/27/new-evidence-confirms-what-gun-rights-advocates-have-been-saying-for-a-long-time-about-crime/

Lawful gun owners commit less than a fifth of all gun crimes, according to a novel analysis released this week by the University of Pittsburgh.

In the study, led by epidemiologist Anthony Fabio of Pittsburgh's Graduate School of Public Health, researchers partnered with the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police to trace the origins of all 893 firearms that police recovered from crime scenes in the year 2008.

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/crime-and-guns/

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/12/gun-rhetoric-vs-gun-facts/

https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-gun-homicides-in-the-US-are-committed-using-legally-owned-firearms

Another commonly quoted figure is the "over 3000 children" killed by guns each year. This is a truly tragic number, but it combines homicides, suicides, and accidents, and usually includes all victims 19 and under. Some years, in order to reach the 3000 mark, "children" means 21 and under. In 2010, the FBI recorded 3,239 murderers who were 21 or under (UCR). The 18-24 age group is the most criminally active in American gang statistics, so it isn't too surprising to see a disproportional number of murderers and victims there.
!! Atheist ------------------------------
2017-11-14 14:38:06 UTC
Lawful gun owners commit less than a fifth of all gun crimes,
So banning guns would eliminate a fifth of gun crimes.
--
There is no verifiable evidence of any god(s). None whatsoever.
Extortion (Believe or Burn) is *THE* foundation of Christianity.
Sycophant: a compulsive ass-kisser of un-evidenced dictator god.
Mr. B1ack
2017-11-14 15:51:59 UTC
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 06:38:06 -0800, "!! Atheist
Post by !! Atheist ------------------------------
Post by Cloud Hobbit
Lawful gun owners commit less than a fifth of all gun crimes,
So banning guns would eliminate a fifth of gun crimes.
But cause a lot more since the evil element could
just presume Joe & Jane were disarmed ......

If weakness is perceived it WILL be ruthlessly
exploited - always is.
Cloud Hobbit
2017-11-14 16:14:19 UTC
So banning guns would eliminate a fifth of gun crimes.

All that you need is to pass an amendment to the Constitution to get that to happen.

Good luck with that.
Michael Ejercito
2017-11-14 16:27:43 UTC
Post by !! Atheist ------------------------------
Post by Cloud Hobbit
Lawful gun owners commit less than a fifth of all gun crimes,
So banning guns would eliminate a fifth of gun crimes.
How so?

But it WILL increase the number of black men in prison.

Michael

http://www.avg.com
ed wolf
2017-11-16 19:57:12 UTC
Post by !! Atheist ------------------------------
Post by Cloud Hobbit
Lawful gun owners commit less than a fifth of all gun crimes,
So banning guns would eliminate a fifth of gun crimes.
More, a lot more in the long run. Almost every illegally
owned weapon started as a legally sold one . Maybe it
was sold illegally by the owner, or a pawn broker or
shady dealer got it and sold it without proper procedure.
Many get stolen and feed the market of illegal guns.
And my guess is the victim of a burglar will not only
replace its arsenal but stock up at the occasion, because
guns are such a fine deterrent against criminals.
Ed
TheRealMccoy
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/homemade-untraceable-assault-weapons/
TheRealMccoy
http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2017/04/04/building-your-own-firearms-part-1-the-laws/
TheRealMccoy
so now he goes and claims he needs to get me for this because he is wrong about something ...
Michael Ejercito
2017-11-12 18:21:38 UTC
Post by Mr. B1ack
| What Explains U.S. Mass Shootings? International
| Comparisons Suggest an Answer
| When the world looks at the United States, it sees a land
| of exceptions: a time-tested if noisy democracy, a crusader
| in foreign policy, an exporter of beloved music and film.
|
| But there is one quirk that consistently puzzles America's
| fans and critics alike. Why, they ask, does it experience
| so many mass shootings?
|
| Perhaps, some speculate, it is because American society is
| unusually violent. Or its racial divisions have frayed the
| bonds of society. Or its citizens lack proper mental care
| under a health care system that draws frequent derision
| abroad.
|
| These explanations share one thing in common: Though
| seemingly sensible, all have been debunked by research on
| shootings elsewhere in the world. Instead, an ever-growing
| body of research consistently reaches the same conclusion.
|
| The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass
| shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns.
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/world/americas/mass-shootings-us-
inte
rnational.html>
Right wingers love shooting Americans, even more than they love collecting
welfare, having sex with children and masturbating to gay porn. It's the
only things they can do well.
You don't ACTUALLY read any news, do you ?
Think AMERICANS are violent ??? Tune in to Syria,
South Sudan, Yemen, Afghanistan, Congo ... they
make Americans look like shy retiring schoolmarms
when it comes to violence. Mass slaughter, mass
torture, theocide, genocide, organized rape gangs
and slavery are the norm in big swaths of the world.
We Americans do not hold a candle to the Germans and the Soviets in this
context.

Michael
Malcolm McMahon
2017-11-13 15:59:02 UTC
Post by Mr. B1ack
| What Explains U.S. Mass Shootings? International
| Comparisons Suggest an Answer
| When the world looks at the United States, it sees a land
| of exceptions: a time-tested if noisy democracy, a crusader
| in foreign policy, an exporter of beloved music and film.
|
| But there is one quirk that consistently puzzles America's
| fans and critics alike. Why, they ask, does it experience
| so many mass shootings?
|
| Perhaps, some speculate, it is because American society is
| unusually violent. Or its racial divisions have frayed the
| bonds of society. Or its citizens lack proper mental care
| under a health care system that draws frequent derision
| abroad.
|
| These explanations share one thing in common: Though
| seemingly sensible, all have been debunked by research on
| shootings elsewhere in the world. Instead, an ever-growing
| body of research consistently reaches the same conclusion.
|
| The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass
| shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns.
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/world/americas/mass-shootings-us-
inte
rnational.html>
Right wingers love shooting Americans, even more than they love collecting
welfare, having sex with children and masturbating to gay porn. It's the
only things they can do well.
You don't ACTUALLY read any news, do you ?
Think AMERICANS are violent ??? Tune in to Syria,
South Sudan, Yemen, Afghanistan, Congo ... they
make Americans look like shy retiring schoolmarms
when it comes to violence. Mass slaughter, mass
torture, theocide, genocide, organized rape gangs
and slavery are the norm in big swaths of the world.
But I doubt you find facts anything but inconvenient ...
In comparison with Western Europe your lifetime chances of a violent death in
the USA are three times as high. And unlike the countries you mention there
isn't supposed to be a civil war going on in the states.

Oh, I don't doubt that the majority of Americans would be as safe to have guns
as the average Swiss, it's just that the Americans who _want_ to own military
grade weapons aren't part of this majority.

I believe the figure is that four times as many Americans have died from
privately owned guns since the second world war than died during it.
Just Wondering
2017-11-13 20:52:52 UTC
the Americans who _want_ to own military grade weapons
There is no difference in grade between a "military grade"
weapon and one made for the civilian market. There is
no difference in accuracy, reliability, ballistics, etc.
for firearms in the two markets.
Malcolm McMahon
2017-11-14 15:06:03 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
the Americans who _want_ to own military grade weapons
There is no difference in grade between a "military grade"
weapon and one made for the civilian market. There is
no difference in accuracy, reliability, ballistics, etc.
for firearms in the two markets.
A firearm that's made to kill deer, or even one for shooting burglars is a very
different thing from one that's expressly designed to slaugher the maximum
number of people in the shortest possible time. The latter are designed for
military use.

Now why would a sane person collect these weapons of mass destruction?
Expecting a zombie apocalypse?
Klaus Schadenfreude
2017-11-14 15:23:54 UTC
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 15:06:03 -0000 (UTC), Malcolm McMahon
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Post by Just Wondering
the Americans who _want_ to own military grade weapons
There is no difference in grade between a "military grade"
weapon and one made for the civilian market. There is
no difference in accuracy, reliability, ballistics, etc.
for firearms in the two markets.
A firearm that's made to kill deer, or even one for shooting burglars is a very
different thing from one that's expressly designed to slaugher the maximum
number of people in the shortest possible time. The latter are designed for
military use.
You're talking about M-16's and the like. Obviously, an AR-15 or
equivalent is not designed for military use.
Don Kresch
2017-11-14 18:23:18 UTC
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Post by Just Wondering
the Americans who _want_ to own military grade weapons
There is no difference in grade between a "military grade"
weapon and one made for the civilian market. There is
no difference in accuracy, reliability, ballistics, etc.
for firearms in the two markets.
A firearm that's made to kill deer, or even one for shooting burglars is a very
different thing from one that's expressly designed to slaugher the maximum
number of people in the shortest possible time. The latter are designed for
military use.
Now why would a sane person collect these weapons of mass destruction?
Yes, why would a sane person.

Hence, all government officials in nuclear countries and those
pursuing nukes are, by definition, insane.

Don
aa#51, Knight of BAAWA, Jedi Slackmaster
Praise "Bob" or burn in Slacklessness trying not to.
Mr. B1ack
2017-11-16 03:38:14 UTC
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Post by Just Wondering
the Americans who _want_ to own military grade weapons
There is no difference in grade between a "military grade"
weapon and one made for the civilian market. There is
no difference in accuracy, reliability, ballistics, etc.
for firearms in the two markets.
A firearm that's made to kill deer, or even one for shooting burglars is a very
different thing from one that's expressly designed to slaugher the maximum
number of people in the shortest possible time. The latter are designed for
military use.
Now why would a sane person collect these weapons of mass destruction?
Yes, why would a sane person.
Hence, all government officials in nuclear countries and those
pursuing nukes are, by definition, insane.
If guns don't serve useful and necessary purposes
then we should make the cops stop wasting our tax
money by purchasing guns. A little horn and thing
of pepper spray ought to be enough ..... :-)

After all, cops are not "more equal" than anyone else,
OUR lives are as valuable as a cops.
Don Kresch
2017-11-13 22:57:00 UTC
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:59:02 -0000 (UTC), Malcolm McMahon
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Post by Mr. B1ack
| What Explains U.S. Mass Shootings? International
| Comparisons Suggest an Answer
| When the world looks at the United States, it sees a land
| of exceptions: a time-tested if noisy democracy, a crusader
| in foreign policy, an exporter of beloved music and film.
|
| But there is one quirk that consistently puzzles America's
| fans and critics alike. Why, they ask, does it experience
| so many mass shootings?
|
| Perhaps, some speculate, it is because American society is
| unusually violent. Or its racial divisions have frayed the
| bonds of society. Or its citizens lack proper mental care
| under a health care system that draws frequent derision
| abroad.
|
| These explanations share one thing in common: Though
| seemingly sensible, all have been debunked by research on
| shootings elsewhere in the world. Instead, an ever-growing
| body of research consistently reaches the same conclusion.
|
| The only variable that can explain the high rate of mass
| shootings in America is its astronomical number of guns.
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/world/americas/mass-shootings-us-
inte
rnational.html>
Right wingers love shooting Americans, even more than they love collecting
welfare, having sex with children and masturbating to gay porn. It's the
only things they can do well.
You don't ACTUALLY read any news, do you ?
Think AMERICANS are violent ??? Tune in to Syria,
South Sudan, Yemen, Afghanistan, Congo ... they
make Americans look like shy retiring schoolmarms
when it comes to violence. Mass slaughter, mass
torture, theocide, genocide, organized rape gangs
and slavery are the norm in big swaths of the world.
But I doubt you find facts anything but inconvenient ...
In comparison with Western Europe your lifetime chances of a violent death in
the USA are three times as high.
Only in certain places, like Chicago, Baltimore, and
Washington DC.
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Oh, I don't doubt that the majority of Americans would be as safe to have guns
as the average Swiss, it's just that the Americans who _want_ to own military
grade weapons aren't part of this majority.
The question then becomes the reason any military should be
trusted to have such weapons.
Post by Malcolm McMahon
I believe the figure is that four times as many Americans have died from
privately owned guns since the second world war than died during it.
Perhaps.

How many of those are suicides? Can't count them, really.

And why focus on the tool?

Michael Ejercito
2017-11-14 00:45:00 UTC
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Post by Mr. B1ack
Right wingers love shooting Americans, even more than they love collecting
welfare, having sex with children and masturbating to gay porn. It's the
only things they can do well.
You don't ACTUALLY read any news, do you ?
Think AMERICANS are violent ??? Tune in to Syria,
South Sudan, Yemen, Afghanistan, Congo ... they
make Americans look like shy retiring schoolmarms
when it comes to violence. Mass slaughter, mass
torture, theocide, genocide, organized rape gangs
and slavery are the norm in big swaths of the world.
But I doubt you find facts anything but inconvenient ...
In comparison with Western Europe your lifetime chances of a violent death in
the USA are three times as high.
Only in certain places, like Chicago, Baltimore, and
Washington DC.
True.

Of course, none of those places are noted by their LACK of corruption.
Post by Don Kresch
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Oh, I don't doubt that the majority of Americans would be as safe to have guns
as the average Swiss, it's just that the Americans who _want_ to own military
grade weapons aren't part of this majority.
The question then becomes the reason any military should be
trusted to have such weapons.
Since when did the U.S. military massacre innocent people?

Michael

http://www.avg.com
Just Wondering
2017-11-14 01:57:21 UTC
Post by Michael Ejercito
Post by Don Kresch
The question then becomes the reason any military should be
trusted to have such weapons.
Since when did the U.S. military massacre innocent people?
This was in 1890, and was not the first time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre
Don Kresch
2017-11-14 02:21:59 UTC
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 18:57:21 -0700, Just Wondering
Post by Just Wondering
Post by Michael Ejercito
Post by Don Kresch
The question then becomes the reason any military should be
trusted to have such weapons.
Since when did the U.S. military massacre innocent people?
This was in 1890, and was not the first time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre
And the 200,000+ wiped out by two atom bombs.

The firebombings of Dresden and Tokyo.

Drone strikes that kill innocents.

Governor Swill
2017-11-16 16:50:46 UTC
Post by Don Kresch
Post by Just Wondering
Post by Michael Ejercito
Post by Don Kresch
The question then becomes the reason any military should be
trusted to have such weapons.
Since when did the U.S. military massacre innocent people?
This was in 1890, and was not the first time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre
And the 200,000+ wiped out by two atom bombs.
The firebombings of Dresden and Tokyo.
Drone strikes that kill innocents.
More excellent examples.

Swill
--
The difference between being ruled by a central government
or the 1% is that the government is ultimately answerable
to the voters - the 1% are answerable to no one.
Michael Ejercito
2017-11-16 17:56:43 UTC
Post by Governor Swill
The difference between being ruled by a central government
or the 1% is that the government is ultimately answerable
to the voters - the 1% are answerable to no one.
The central government is a subset of that 1%.

Michael

http://www.avg.com
Governor Swill
2017-11-18 23:23:58 UTC
On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 09:56:43 -0800, "Michael Ejercito"
Post by Michael Ejercito
Post by Governor Swill
The difference between being ruled by a central government
or the 1% is that the government is ultimately answerable
to the voters - the 1% are answerable to no one.
The central government is a subset of that 1%.
In the sense that the 1% finances most campaign coffers and therefore
leaves those pols beholden to them. But as Trump has proved (and
Moore soon will) the 1% are not guaranteed their candidates will get
into office.

Swill

Governor Swill
2017-11-16 16:48:52 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
Post by Michael Ejercito
Post by Don Kresch
The question then becomes the reason any military should be
trusted to have such weapons.
Since when did the U.S. military massacre innocent people?
This was in 1890, and was not the first time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre
March, 1968.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre>

In the present day there is the "collateral damage" from drone
strikes.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_casualties_from_U.S._drone_strikes#Total_numbers>
<http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/05/do-not-believe-the-u-s-governments-official-numbers-on-drone-strike-civilian-casualties/>

So, yes, the US military has and does massacre innocent people.

Swill
Malcolm McMahon
2017-11-16 10:34:26 UTC

Post by Malcolm McMahon
Oh, I don't doubt that the majority of Americans would be as safe to have guns
as the average Swiss, it's just that the Americans who _want_ to own military
grade weapons aren't part of this majority.
The question then becomes the reason any military should be
trusted to have such weapons.
Because killing people is their job, and armed forces are an unavoidable part of a viable nation. And, as a society, we're pretty careful about setting things up so they don't go on spree killings too often.
Post by Don Kresch
Post by Malcolm McMahon
I believe the figure is that four times as many Americans have died from
privately owned guns since the second world war than died during it.
Perhaps.
How many of those are suicides? Can't count them, really.
And why focus on the tool?
Guns are special. Guns leave no time for rational decision making.