Claimning evolution is not science
2017-05-24 01:24:16 UTC
Is like saying water isn't wet.

sci·ence
ˈsīəns/
noun
noun: science

the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Therefore evolution is science.
aaa
2017-05-24 02:49:29 UTC
Is like saying water isn't wet.
sci·ence ˈsīəns/ noun noun: science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic
study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world
through observation and experiment.
Therefore evolution is science.
No. Evolution is a study of life. Life is not just a physical structure.
Life demonstrates consciousness, awareness, and intelligence that are
not physical. These non-physical things can't be explained by science.
They can only be explained by philosophy. Therefore, evolution, by
claiming to study life, is in fact a philosophy instead of science.

The joke is, evolution has no fucking idea about philosophy. Evolution
is a freak hybrid that is not even self-aware.
Cloud Hobbit
2017-05-24 02:55:51 UTC
Is like saying water isn't wet.
sci·ence ˈsīəns/ noun noun: science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic
study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world
through observation and experiment.
Therefore evolution is science.
No. Evolution is a study of life. Life is not just a physical structure.
Life demonstrates consciousness, awareness, and intelligence that are
not physical. These non-physical things can't be explained by science.
They can only be explained by philosophy. Therefore, evolution, by
claiming to study life, is in fact a philosophy instead of science.
The joke is, evolution has no fucking idea about philosophy. Evolution
is a freak hybrid that is not even self-aware.
The joke is that you think you know what you are talking about on any of these issues.

Evolution is not now, nor has it ever been philosophy, it is simply the results of observation and testing and the scientific method.

You saying otherwise is just proof of your retardation.
aaa
The fact is I have made my point, and you are unable to face it.
Malcolm McMahon
So how is it the mind can be altered by brain damage?
aaa
Is that the best argument you can have?
Malcolm McMahon
2017-05-24 14:06:02 UTC
Is like saying water isn't wet.
sci·ence ˈsīəns/ noun noun: science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic
study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world
through observation and experiment.
Therefore evolution is science.
No. Evolution is a study of life. Life is not just a physical structure.
Life demonstrates consciousness, awareness, and intelligence that are
not physical.
So how is it the mind can be altered by brain damage?
Is that the best argument you can have?
Its a pretty good one. Before FMRI that's how neurologists started to map the location of brain functions, and to understand which bits of the brain corresponded to which mental function.

The "case zero" was when a workman got a crowbar through the front of his head. He survived, but his personality had changed. He was more impulsive, more callous, less intelligent.

When that was observed neurologists started looking for people with brain damage at particular locations and observing how it changed them.

Now of course we don't _want_ to believe this. We want our mind stashed away safely on the astral plane or something where the ultimate brain damage - death - can't affect it.

Some have suggested that the brain is acting as a kind of transceiver, making the link between the mind and the material body. But this doesn't really work. In such case brain damage might screw up your senses, or your motor control, but how would it change your personality.

And it's not just brain damage. Drugs too can temporarily change your thinking, your personality.
Alex W.
2017-05-24 23:00:08 UTC
Some have suggested that the brain is acting as a kind of transceiver, making the link between the mind and the material body. But this doesn't really work. In such case brain damage might screw up your senses, or your motor control, but how would it change your personality.
And it's not just brain damage. Drugs too can temporarily change your thinking, your personality.
Sometimes fatally so. Your doctor prescribes you something to help you
quit smoking, or for your acne, and the next thing your family knows,
you have gone and killed yourself...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24262690/ns/health-mental_health/t/mystery-medications-linked-suicide/#.WSYOdhh7HR0

http://www.everydayhealth.com/depression/prescription-drugs-that-cause-depression.aspx
aaa
2017-05-26 03:02:49 UTC
[...]
The mind can be affected by many things, but it does not mean the mind
can be changed by things. It's spiritual. It's independent from all
physical senses. Being affected does not mean being changed or altered.
It's just a temporary illusion.
ed wolf
2017-05-26 09:14:52 UTC
[...]
How can something be affected without being altered?
Even a rock getting warm and cool with day and night
will be affected in a visible way after some time.
What effect does not leave traces?
But then I guess your definition of mind contains something
like " that part that does not change" and so of course you are
right, like any true scotsman.
BTW is the mind you talk about the same unaffected entity from
cradle to grave? If not, how come? If yes , what is it?
aaa
2017-05-26 15:20:17 UTC
Post by ed wolf
[...]
Yes, effect does leave traces, and if we take such effect as real, such
traces will become permanent. That is the problem to live in this
illusional physical world. When we take the physical world as real, we
will eventually forget our spiritual nature to be lost in this world.

It's why we need to realize the independent spiritual nature of our mind
so that we don't have to be affected by the things in this world.
Post by ed wolf
But then I guess your definition of mind contains something
like " that part that does not change" and so of course you are
right, like any true scotsman.
No. The part that does not change is not the mind. It's our heart. Our
mind always changes. It's how we live our life. However, our heart is
always true and real. It will never be affected by anything in this
world. It's why we live our life to follow what is found in our heart.
Post by ed wolf
BTW is the mind you talk about the same unaffected entity from
cradle to grave? If not, how come? If yes , what is it?
Our heart is the unaffected entity from cradle to grave. Our mind is the
intelligence coming from our heart. It's always learning, and it relies
on the heart to know everything about this world and things in life. We
look into this world to understand everything, but the actual
understanding only comes from the heart within us. It's why truth and
reality can only be found in our heart.
Malcolm McMahon
2017-05-26 15:37:01 UTC
Post by ed wolf
But then I guess your definition of mind contains something
like " that part that does not change" and so of course you are
right, like any true scotsman.
No. The part that does not change is not the mind. It's our heart.
The heart is a pump. The tradition that it was the seat of our emotional self comes from the fact that the heart rate gives a physical indication of our emotional state.

What is poetically referred to as the heart appears to correspond to the paleocortex.

https://soupdragonsite.wordpress.com/2016/04/04/heart-vs-head-the-essential-conflict-of-the-modern-world

It's our "animal self" and I don't denigrate it. Its where our loyalties and
our hatreds, our desires, our taste (in every sense) exist. And that too is physical. It's something we can observe in action with FMRI or PET. And that too, changes.

But don't mistake its output for the voice of God.
Lucifer Morningstar
2017-05-26 09:27:10 UTC
Is like saying water isn't wet.
sci·ence ?s??ns/ noun noun: science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the
systematic study of the structure and behavior of the
physical and natural world through observation and
experiment.
Therefore evolution is science.
No. Evolution is a study of life. Life is not just a physical
structure. Life demonstrates consciousness, awareness, and
intelligence that are not physical.
So how is it the mind can be altered by brain damage?
Is that the best argument you can have?
Its a pretty good one. Before FMRI that's how neurologists started to
map the location of brain functions, and to understand which bits of
the brain corresponded to which mental function.
The "case zero" was when a workman got a crowbar through the front of
his head. He survived, but his personality had changed. He was more
impulsive, more callous, less intelligent.
I knew about that one.
When that was observed neurologists started looking for people with
brain damage at particular locations and observing how it changed
them.
That is very interesting.
Now of course we don't _want_ to believe this. We want our mind
stashed away safely on the astral plane or something where the
ultimate brain damage - death - can't affect it.
Some have suggested that the brain is acting as a kind of
transceiver, making the link between the mind and the material body.
But this doesn't really work. In such case brain damage might screw
up your senses, or your motor control, but how would it change your
personality.
And it's not just brain damage. Drugs too can temporarily change your
thinking, your personality.
I read about a good family man who started taking an interest
in pornography including child porn. A brain scan showed he had
a tumor that was putting pressure on his brain. When the tumor
was removed he reverted to his good self.
Post by aaa
The mind can be affected by many things, but it does not mean the mind
can be changed by things. It's spiritual. It's independent from all
physical senses. Being affected does not mean being changed or altered.
It's just a temporary illusion.
God has our mind stored on the cloud.
So when you hear someone lost their mind its because God misplaced
it.

2017-05-26 15:24:57 UTC
Post by aaa
The mind can be affected by many things, but it does not mean the mind
can be changed by things. It's spiritual. It's independent from all
physical senses. Being affected does not mean being changed or altered.
It's just a temporary illusion.
God has our mind stored on the cloud.
So when you hear someone lost their mind its because God misplaced
it.
The mind is only lost when it forgets its spiritual source and home
which is the heart. As long as the mind follows the heart, it will never
be lost.
Lucifer Morningstar
2017-05-24 22:49:53 UTC
Is like saying water isn't wet.
sci·ence ?s??ns/ noun noun: science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic
study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world
through observation and experiment.
Therefore evolution is science.
No. Evolution is a study of life. Life is not just a physical structure.
Life demonstrates consciousness, awareness, and intelligence that are
not physical.
So how is it the mind can be altered by brain damage?
Is that the best argument you can have?
Its a valid question. I think you should answer it.

2017-05-26 02:55:09 UTC
Post by Lucifer Morningstar
Is like saying water isn't wet.
sci·ence ?s??ns/ noun noun: science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic
study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world
through observation and experiment.
Therefore evolution is science.
No. Evolution is a study of life. Life is not just a physical structure.
Life demonstrates consciousness, awareness, and intelligence that are
not physical.
So how is it the mind can be altered by brain damage?
Is that the best argument you can have?
Its a valid question. I think you should answer it.
Brain damage does not cause mental illness. It's a false claim.
Lucifer Morningstar
2017-05-26 08:29:33 UTC
Post by Lucifer Morningstar
Is like saying water isn't wet.
sci·ence ?s??ns/ noun noun: science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic
study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world
through observation and experiment.
Therefore evolution is science.
No. Evolution is a study of life. Life is not just a physical structure.
Life demonstrates consciousness, awareness, and intelligence that are
not physical.
All those things come from a physical entity we call the brain.
Post by aaa
Post by Lucifer Morningstar
So how is it the mind can be altered by brain damage?
Is that the best argument you can have?
Its a valid question. I think you should answer it.
Brain damage does not cause mental illness. It's a false claim.
Brain damage, aging, and chemical imbalance can change the
way a person thinks and acts.

Did God determine how our brain came together?

2017-05-26 15:36:43 UTC
Post by aaa
Post by Lucifer Morningstar
Is like saying water isn't wet.
sci·ence ?s??ns/ noun noun: science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic
study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world
through observation and experiment.
Therefore evolution is science.
No. Evolution is a study of life. Life is not just a physical structure.
Life demonstrates consciousness, awareness, and intelligence that are
not physical.
All those things come from a physical entity we call the brain.
False. They are spiritual. They are not the result of biochemical reaction.
Post by aaa
Post by Lucifer Morningstar
So how is it the mind can be altered by brain damage?
Is that the best argument you can have?
Its a valid question. I think you should answer it.
Brain damage does not cause mental illness. It's a false claim.
Brain damage, aging, and chemical imbalance can change the
way a person thinks and acts.
It may affect a person's external behavior, but it does not change who
the person is internally. If the person belongs to God, he will fight
his own strange behavior. If the person doesn't belong to God, he would
not be different even when he is not influenced by chemical imbalance.
2017-05-26 14:07:32 UTC
Post by Lucifer Morningstar
Is like saying water isn't wet.
sci·ence ?s??ns/ noun noun: science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic
study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world
through observation and experiment.
Therefore evolution is science.
No. Evolution is a study of life. Life is not just a physical structure.
Life demonstrates consciousness, awareness, and intelligence that are
not physical.
So how is it the mind can be altered by brain damage?
Is that the best argument you can have?
Its a valid question. I think you should answer it.
Brain damage does not cause mental illness. It's a false claim.
I didn't mention mental illness, I said the operation of the mind can be changed by anything that alters the brain.

Alcohol is the most common and obvious. Do you deny that alcohol changes the way people think? That their impulse control is weakened, for example, often leading to tears or violence? That their ability to reason is compromised?

But for more drastic effects, consider antegrade amnesia. If you get damage to the hippocampus, you can lose the ability to lay down long term memories. There are people out there who, after brain damage, can remember what they were doing before the accident but can't remember what they were doing ten minutes ago.

There are _thousands_ of such cases.

A man came up to me and said

I'd like to change your mind

By hitting it with a rock he said

Though I am not unkind.
aaa
2017-05-26 15:49:11 UTC
Post by Lucifer Morningstar
Is like saying water isn't wet.
sci·ence ?s??ns/ noun noun: science
the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the
systematic study of the structure and behavior of the
physical and natural world through observation and
experiment.
Therefore evolution is science.
No. Evolution is a study of life. Life is not just a
physical structure. Life demonstrates consciousness,
awareness, and intelligence that are not physical.
So how is it the mind can be altered by brain damage?
Is that the best argument you can have?
Its a valid question. I think you should answer it.
Brain damage does not cause mental illness. It's a false claim.
I didn't mention mental illness, I said the operation of the mind can
be changed by anything that alters the brain.
Only temporarily. It does not have to be permanent, and the mind can
always make a decision to fight it.
Post by Malcolm McMahon
Alcohol is the most common and obvious. Do you deny that alcohol
changes the way people think? That their impulse control is weakened,
for example, often leading to tears or violence? That their ability
to reason is compromised?
Yes. It's why one should stay away from any mind altering chemicals. It
will damage the mind.
Post by Malcolm McMahon
But for more drastic effects, consider antegrade amnesia. If you get
damage to the hippocampus, you can lose the ability to lay down long
term memories. There are people out there who, after brain damage,
can remember what they were doing before the accident but can't
remember what they were doing ten minutes ago.
There are _thousands_ of such cases.
A man came up to me and said
I'd like to change your mind
By hitting it with a rock he said
Though I am not unkind.
Yes. Brain damage does cause memory problems, but it does not damage the
mind. The thinking becomes quite difficult, but the person is still the
same person, at least internally.