so cool when a lyric jumps out
2017-11-11 10:48:15 UTC
"She's the kind of girl you want so much It makes you sorry
Still, you don't regret a single day"

Of course, the reason it popped now is because we're in this moment of finally discussing abuse and that's what this song is about.

The context for the lyrics coming up is one of the pairs is skating to a Beatles medley in this Olympics season.
Irreverend Dave
2017-11-11 21:42:56 UTC
"She's the kind of girl you want so much It makes you sorry
Still, you don't regret a single day"
Of course, the reason it popped now is because we're in this moment of
finally discussing abuse and that's what this song is about.
Ah yes, but who is it that is being abused Jeanne?
--
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist
in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Jeanne Douglas
2017-11-12 04:09:12 UTC
Post by Irreverend Dave
Post by Jeanne Douglas
"She's the kind of girl you want so much It makes you sorry
Still, you don't regret a single day"
Of course, the reason it popped now is because we're in this moment of
finally discussing abuse and that's what this song is about.
Ah yes, but who is it that is being abused Jeanne?
In this song, it's the man being abused. Just as bad as a woman being abused, of course.

<https://genius.com/The-beatles-girl-lyrics>
Irreverend Dave
2017-11-12 17:53:05 UTC
On 11 Nov 2017 01:42 PM ,Irreverend Dave
Post by Irreverend Dave
Post by Jeanne Douglas
"She's the kind of girl you want so much It makes you sorry
Still, you don't regret a single day"
Of course, the reason it popped now is because we're in this moment
of finally discussing abuse and that's what this song is about.
Ah yes, but who is it that is being abused Jeanne?
In this song, it's the man being abused. Just as bad as a woman being abused, of course.
<https://genius.com/The-beatles-girl-lyrics>
It's a form of mental abuse for sure which can be just as scarring as the
physical kind. I've known women who do it to men and men who do it to
women.
Jeanne Douglas
Robert Carnegie
2017-11-11 22:32:12 UTC
"She's the kind of girl you want so much It makes you sorry
Still, you don't regret a single day"
Of course, the reason it popped now is because we're in this moment
of finally discussing abuse and that's what this song is about.
The context for the lyrics coming up is one of the pairs is skating
to a Beatles medley in this Olympics season.
<http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/781/> offers people's views
that the song is about (1) drugs (2) breasts (3) Yoko Ono, and
that's just the first couple of pages that I read.

My reading of the lyrics as given there is that this woman
is exploiting the man she is living with - in his opinion -
and if the sex roles are reversed then it does read as
abusive. "She's the kind of girl who puts you down when
friends are there - you feel a fool."

But on the other hand, she may just be thoughtless,
irresponsible, immature. Calling her "girl" - the title
and the refrain - isn't going to help with that.

I think they should try relationship counselling.

Also consider who was buying these records...
Irreverend Dave
2017-11-12 18:23:38 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Jeanne Douglas
"She's the kind of girl you want so much It makes you sorry
Still, you don't regret a single day"
Of course, the reason it popped now is because we're in this moment
of finally discussing abuse and that's what this song is about.
The context for the lyrics coming up is one of the pairs is skating
to a Beatles medley in this Olympics season.
<http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/781/> offers people's views
that the song is about (1) drugs (2) breasts (3) Yoko Ono, and
that's just the first couple of pages that I read.
It's definitely not about Yoko since John hadn't met her yet. It could be
about Cynthia or it could be something that John observed in someone
else's relationship.
Post by Robert Carnegie
My reading of the lyrics as given there is that this woman
is exploiting the man she is living with - in his opinion -
and if the sex roles are reversed then it does read as
abusive. "She's the kind of girl who puts you down when
friends are there - you feel a fool."
But on the other hand, she may just be thoughtless,
irresponsible, immature. Calling her "girl" - the title
and the refrain - isn't going to help with that.
I think they should try relationship counselling.
Also consider who was buying these records...
Rubber Soul, the album this song appears on, was considered a watershed
album for the band. The days of Beatlemania ended with the release of
this album. The lyrics are darker and the songs in many cases reflect
personal relationships and experiences. There's a lot more
experimentation in instruments and studio technique
Robert Carnegie
2017-11-12 22:20:29 UTC
Post by Irreverend Dave
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Jeanne Douglas
"She's the kind of girl you want so much It makes you sorry
Still, you don't regret a single day"
Of course, the reason it popped now is because we're in this moment
of finally discussing abuse and that's what this song is about.
The context for the lyrics coming up is one of the pairs is skating
to a Beatles medley in this Olympics season.
<http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/781/> offers people's views
that the song is about (1) drugs (2) breasts (3) Yoko Ono, and
that's just the first couple of pages that I read.
It's definitely not about Yoko since John hadn't met her yet. It could be
about Cynthia or it could be something that John observed in someone
else's relationship.
Let me confess that I deliberately misrepresented one of
the arguments in another attempt to be funny: what they actually
said was, "John said that the girl in "Girl" was his ideal woman"
(which already sounds funny-peculiar). So, Yoko?

It even gets relevant; they ("missbinny") say "I also read
in a book that at the time this song was written, John was
doing a lot of research on Christianity and this song depicted
his opinion on their whole religious concept." Take that,
Christianity! ;-)
Irreverend Dave
2017-11-13 14:37:46 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Irreverend Dave
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Jeanne Douglas
[...]
I've never heard anything about John doing research on Christianity
however I have heard that his time with the Maharishi in India had a
negative impact on his views of religion in general and gurus
specifically.

Lennon had several songs that were negative towards religion, Imagine
being the most familiar. The other two that come to mind are "God" in
which he clearly states that he doesn't believe in any "isms" and "I
Found Out" in which he takes a swing at Christianity and gurus.
Cloud Hobbit
2017-11-11 22:33:32 UTC
"She's the kind of girl you want so much It makes you sorry
Still, you don't regret a single day"
Of course, the reason it popped now is that we're in this moment of finally discussing abuse and that's what this song is about.
That never occurred to me. I always thought it was about being in love with someone who doesn't love you the way you love them or loves you not at all.
Post by Jeanne Douglas
The context for the lyrics coming up is one of the pairs is skating to a Beatles medley in this Olympics season.
Not a Beatles song, it's by Billy Joel.

Forger perhaps?
Robert Carnegie
2017-11-11 22:39:02 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
The context for the lyrics coming up is one of the pairs is skating to a Beatles medley in this Olympics season.
Not a Beatles song, it's by Billy Joel.
That's "Uptown Girl" (yes?) and this isn't.
Post by Cloud Hobbit
Forger perhaps?
Perhaps. But that's usually racial jokes.
Cloud Hobbit
2017-11-11 22:48:41 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
Forger perhaps?
Perhaps. But that's usually racial jokes.
Uptown girl is about his former wife Christie Brinkley who was in the video.
She's always a woman to me is the song that was being referenced.

She's Always a Woman
Billy Joel
She can kill with a smile, she can wound with her eyes
She can ruin your faith with her casual lies
And she only reveals what she wants you to see
She hides like a child but she's always a woman to me
She can lead you to love, she can take you or leave you
She can ask for the truth but she'll never believe you
And she'll take what you give her as long as it's free
Yeah she steals like a thief but she's always a woman to me
Oh, she takes care of herself, she can wait if she wants
She's ahead of her time
Oh, she never gives out and she never gives in
She just changes her mind
And she'll promise you more than the garden of Eden
Then she'll carelessly cut you and laugh while you're bleeding
But she brings out the best and the worst you can be
Blame it… Full lyrics on Google Play Music

"She's Always a Woman" is a song from Billy Joel's 1977 album The Stranger. It is a love song about a modern woman, with whom he falls in love for her quirks as well as her flaws. The single peaked at #17 in the U.S. in 1977, and at #53 in the UK in 1986, when it was released as a double A-side with "Just the Way You Are". It re-entered the UK chart in 2010, reaching #29. A Muzak version of the track[1] by Frank Chacksfield Orchestra is known to be one of the last songs played over the former World Trade Center complex before its collapse.[2] The song is played in the compound time signature of 6/8.
From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27s_Always_a_Woman
Robert Carnegie
2017-11-11 22:59:12 UTC
Post by Cloud Hobbit
[...]
From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27s_Always_a_Woman
Fine, but Jeanne's words are from "Girl" by The Beatles
(Lennon, McCartney). I posted a link that includes lyrics.
Kevrob
2017-11-12 00:19:14 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27s_Always_a_Woman
Fine, but Jeanne's words are from "Girl" by The Beatles
(Lennon, McCartney). I posted a link that includes lyrics.
"Horse's mouth" -

https://www.thebeatles.com/song/girl

From 1965. Joel hadn't even joined "The Hassles" yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hassles

2017-11-12 00:39:39 UTC
Sorry, I must have had a brain cramp.

Should have spotted my mistake instantly. The Beatles was the first concert I ever attended.
Jeanne Douglas
2017-11-12 08:58:26 UTC
Sorry, I must have had a brain cramp.
Should have spotted my mistake instantly. The Beatles was the first concert I ever attended.
Me, too. Forest Hills in 1964.
2017-11-12 12:13:26 UTC
Me, too. Philadelphia, Convention Hall in 1964. I was 17.
Jeanne Douglas
2017-11-12 22:28:31 UTC
Me, too. Forest Hills in 1964.

Seattle Colosseum same year IIRC which is no guarantee given how I screwed this song up.

Best part I found a ticket on the sidewalk. Tickets were 5,6, and 7 bucks. How times have changed.
Jeanne Douglas
2017-11-12 04:07:10 UTC
"She's the kind of girl you want so much It makes you sorry
Still, you don't regret a single day"
Of course, the reason it popped now is that we're in this moment of finally discussing abuse and that's what this song is about.
That never occurred to me. I always thought it was about being in love with someone who doesn't love you the way you love them or loves you not at all.
Loves him so little that she abuses him horribly and he still goes back. It's classic--she abuses, he tries to leave, and she cries and promises to be better.

<https://genius.com/The-beatles-girl-lyrics>
The context for the lyrics coming up is one of the pairs is skating to a Beatles medley in this Olympics season.
Not a Beatles song, it's by Billy Joel.
Forger perhaps?
Nope, it's "Girl" by The Beatles.
Robert Carnegie
2017-11-12 15:20:00 UTC
"She's the kind of girl you want so much It makes you sorry
Still, you don't regret a single day"
Of course, the reason it popped now is that we're in this moment of finally discussing abuse and that's what this song is about.
That never occurred to me. I always thought it was about being in love with someone who doesn't love you the way you love them or loves you not at all.
Loves him so little that she abuses him horribly and he still goes back. It's classic--she abuses, he tries to leave, and she cries and promises to be better.
<https://genius.com/The-beatles-girl-lyrics>
I'd say short of "abuses him horribly", but I read it as her
being entitled to be materially dependent on him and also
entitled to insult him in company.

I did mention that some people think the hidden meaning of the
song is breasts, apparently the boys in the background are
saying "titty titty titty". So don't feel too sorry for him...
Nope, it's "Girl" by The Beatles.
Irreverend Dave
2017-11-12 18:30:49 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
[...]
Except they're not saying that. It's either "do do do" or "dit dit dit".
I suspect that it was done to vocally mimic the sound of the bouzouki
that George was playing.
Cloud Hobbit
2017-11-12 22:33:39 UTC

Could be but I remember being one of those who thought they they were saying "everybody's smoking pot" when it was actually ooompah, oompah, stuff it up your jumper in I am the Walrus.
hypatiab7
2017-11-12 11:35:27 UTC
Post by Jeanne Douglas
The context for the lyrics coming up is one of the pairs is skating to a Beatles medley in this Olympics season.
Not a Beatles song, it's by Billy Joel.
Forger perhaps?
It IS a Beatles song! Billy Joel may have recorded a copy.
Lots of singers have recorded Beatles' songs.