Rules are for fools?
a***@gmail.com
2020-08-05 07:44:39 UTC
Most people follow rules mostly, when they benefit them. When they can break rules without getting caught, they do so. Rules are created by the elite, to benefit the elite.

For example, from the middle class to the upper class, many people cheat on taxes.

I believe that one should follow a moral code, and follow the rules they believe in. Because the ruling elite don't follow their own rules, but expect ordinary people to do so.

Or we can decentralise, with each geographic or cultural group, following their own rules. But I am not sure, how this would work in practice.

Abhinav Lal

"Of all the things I have lost,
I miss my mind the most"
rja.ca...@gmail.com
2020-08-05 11:46:31 UTC
Most people follow rules mostly, when they benefit them. When they can break rules without getting caught, they do so. Rules are created by the elite, to benefit the elite.
For example, from the middle class to the upper class, many people cheat on taxes.
I believe that one should follow a moral code, and follow the rules they believe in. Because the ruling elite don't follow their own rules, but expect ordinary people to do so.
Or we can decentralise, with each geographic or cultural group, following their own rules. But I am not sure, how this would work in practice.
But that last one is what really happens. Except when
people cheat, as you say.
JWS
2020-08-05 12:40:33 UTC
https://tinyurl.com/y4uwobjo
I miss my mind the most"
Yap Honghor
This world can never work without rules...it is only the loopholes that people exploit!!!!!
Malcolm McMahon
2020-08-06 10:53:34 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Most people follow rules mostly, when they benefit them. When they can break rules without getting caught, they do so. Rules are created by the elite, to benefit the elite.
For example, from the middle class to the upper class, many people cheat on taxes.
I believe that one should follow a moral code, and follow the rules they believe in. Because the ruling elite don't follow their own rules, but expect ordinary people to do so.
Or we can decentralise, with each geographic or cultural group, following their own rules. But I am not sure, how this would work in practice.
There's a saying - "Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of the wise".

There's truth in that. Because rules are a _compiled_ form of ethics, which fundamentally depends on values, not rules.

So, rules should make you ask yourself; why does this rule exist? What purpose does it serve?
Davej
2020-08-06 12:49:11 UTC
[...]Rules are created by the elite, to benefit the elite.
For example, from the middle class to the upper class, many people cheat on taxes.
The word "rules" is too vague. You mean "laws." The problem with the
legal system is that the rich can afford to hire teams of expert lawyers.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/29/15109214/tax-code-page-count-complexity-simplification-reform-ways-means