The world keeps getting bigger and bigger
a***@gmail.com
2019-01-21 16:11:56 UTC
Ancient man was only aware of the regions he had travelled on foot. Then came horses, and ships, and the world grew bigger and bigger.

We used to think Earth was the only world, then we discovered the rest of the solar system, and then exoplanets.

Some of us believe ours is the only universe. But scientists have proposed the multiverse.

Our universe is but one of trillions upon trillions... of worlds. Our universe supports intelligent life.

There is no reason there aren’t other inhabited worlds. That is the important question. Is there intelligent life out there?

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor

“Life will find a way to survive”
Robert Carnegie
2019-01-22 01:15:45 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Ancient man was only aware of the regions he had travelled on foot. Then came horses, and ships, and the world grew bigger and bigger.
We used to think Earth was the only world, then we discovered the rest of the solar system, and then exoplanets.
Some of us believe ours is the only universe. But scientists have proposed the multiverse.
Our universe is but one of trillions upon trillions... of worlds. Our universe supports intelligent life.
There is no reason there aren’t other inhabited worlds. That is the important question. Is there intelligent life out there?
Well, for most of this planet's existence there wasn't
any here. About five-sixths of about 4.54 billion years,
there was basically an ocean of pond scum and that was
all. I think that planets usually get stuck there.
Or later on, there are dinosaurs, and they last forever.
Ours were evidently killed by the solar system before
they could come to terms with it. Would that happen
elsewhere? One point of view is Yes.
MarkA
2019-01-22 13:53:42 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Ancient man was only aware of the regions he had travelled on foot.
Then came horses, and ships, and the world grew bigger and bigger.
We used to think Earth was the only world, then we discovered the rest
of the solar system, and then exoplanets.
Some of us believe ours is the only universe. But scientists have proposed the multiverse.
Our universe is but one of trillions upon trillions... of worlds. Our
universe supports intelligent life.
There is no reason there aren’t other inhabited worlds. That is the
important question. Is there intelligent life out there?
Abhinav Lal Writer & Investor
“Life will find a way to survive”
An interesting question, but not an important one. Given the distances
involved, and the fact that information cannot travel faster than the
speed of light, each solar system is pretty much isolated from all the
others.
--
MarkA

The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he know to be untrue
to men he knows to be idiots. --HL Mencken
a***@gmail.com
2019-01-22 14:47:37 UTC
Post by MarkA
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
General relativity is already known to fail at ultra long distances. Special relativity is probably not a final theory. We may develop faster than light starships, or use wormholes or teleportation to travel long distances. If the light barrier cannot be broken, we can use lasered sails or other methods to reach the stars within a human lifetime. If all else fails, we can consider using generation ships or life extension.

The future is wide open, and full of possibilities. We might arrive at a solution no one has thought of now.

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor

“Truth lasts”
m***@gmail.com
2019-01-22 17:52:24 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by MarkA
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Wow! You've been reading Larry Nivens books.
Robert Carnegie
2019-01-22 23:44:13 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by MarkA
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Have we already discussed that Indian "scientists" are
increasingly peddlers of delusional patriotic nonsense?
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-46778879>,
published recently, mentions specifically the questioning
of Einstein's cosmological work.
a***@gmail.com
2019-01-23 05:01:15 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by MarkA
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Are you suggesting that relativity is sacred and cannot be questioned? Many scientists question GR. Others propose dark matter.

All scientific theories are provisional.

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor

“Science ain’t a perfect science”
Robert Carnegie
2019-01-23 21:22:23 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by MarkA
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
General relativity is questioned frequently by
respectable scientists. I think both of us may have
to take such work on trust, it'a question of whom you
trust, but whenever the BBS has reported a science
experiment or observation that bears on relativity,
then - allowing dark matter and dark energy, and that
Einstein didn't intend a Big Bang to begin with -
observations agree with Einstein's mathematics
exactly. I assume I'll be told if ever it does not.
Christopher A. Lee
2019-01-22 15:38:18 UTC
Post by MarkA
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Abiogenesis research has shown that its building blocks are formed in
such a wide variety of situations, and the chemistry to form primitive
cells is so basic, that life is pretty much inevitable given the right
conditions.

But how it would evolve or even survive is another matter.

I doubt we will ever know. It isn't just that information cannot
travel faster than light. Any attempts at communication by either
ourselves or aliens from another solar system would be subject to the
inverse cube law over distances measured in light years.

How much energy (light) do we receive from Proxima Centaurus which is
only 4 1/4 light years away? And that is all we get from the entire
output of the star.
Don Martin
2019-01-22 16:34:26 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 09:38:18 -0600, Christopher A. Lee
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by MarkA
Post by a***@gmail.com
[...]
Or at least the entire output from the hemisphere facing us at any
particular moment.
2019-01-22 14:19:47 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Ancient man was only aware of the regions he had travelled on foot. Then came horses, and ships, and the world grew bigger and bigger.
We used to think Earth was the only world, then we discovered the rest of the solar system, and then exoplanets.
Some of us believe ours is the only universe. But scientists have proposed the multiverse.
Our universe is but one of trillions upon trillions... of worlds. Our universe supports intelligent life.
There is no reason there aren’t other inhabited worlds. That is the important question. Is there intelligent life out there?
Probability suggests there must be. But the theists here on Earth are doing their damndest to try and erase intelligence here on Earth.
m***@gmail.com
We'll know when they contact us or we contact then. Until then, your guess is as good as anyone else's.
Christopher A. Lee
2019-01-23 22:27:47 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
Ancient man was only aware of the regions he had travelled on foot. Then came horses, and ships, and the world grew bigger and bigger.
We used to think Earth was the only world, then we discovered the rest
of the solar system, and then exoplanets.
Correction...

There was no reason to assume otherwise.
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
Some of us believe ours is the only universe. But scientists have
proposed the multiverse.
More of the same.
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
Our universe is but one of trillions upon trillions... of worlds. rOur universe
supports intelligent life.
But we only have a sample of 1 world with it.
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
There is no reason there aren’t other inhabited worlds. That is the important
question. Is there intelligent life out there?
How the fuck would we know until it's found - if it ever is?
Post by m***@gmail.com
We'll know when they contact us or we contact then. Until then,
your guess is as good as anyone else's.
Just like the binary thinking theist loonies who infest alt.atheism
and talk.origins, he imagines having no reason to assume something,
means believing the opposite.
Davej
2019-01-23 22:09:55 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com