The status of Pluto
Michael Cole
2018-06-13 16:30:31 UTC
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
John Ritson
2018-06-13 19:20:28 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
Cast a vote. What value should pi have?
--
John Ritson

https://www.avg.com
Michael Cole
2018-06-13 19:48:27 UTC
Pi is a precisely mathematically defined number. By contrast “planet” is just a word we use to describe some of the objects that orbit the sun. Nobody wants to say that every hydrogen molecule in orbit around the sun is a planet. Asteroids are generally not called planets, nor are comets. We could decide that only Jupiter is big enough to qualify. It is purely a question of convention and terminology if we wish to call Pluto a planet or a dwarf planetoid or whatever.
b***@m.nu
2018-06-13 21:25:41 UTC
I say 6, there are usually 6 hearty slices in one pi
Michael Cole
2018-06-13 23:10:47 UTC
Pie are not square. Cornbread are square. Pi are round.
Malcolm McMahon
2018-06-29 08:50:47 UTC
There's actually a company in Britain called "The Square Pie Company". Other shapes are available.
Smiler
2018-06-29 23:44:55 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
Pie are not square. Cornbread are square. Pi are round.
9.872. Pi squared.
--
Smiler, The godless one. a.a.# 2279
All gods are tailored to order. They're made

2018-07-03 16:59:46 UTC
Post by John Ritson
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
Cast a vote. What value should pi have?
Depends on how much the string stretches.

The Purpose of the NT Word of God is not to inform as it did in
the OT,but instead to form us in the very image of Jesus Christ.

2018-06-13 20:10:41 UTC
It's not up to us - it's up to the world's astronomers.
Michael Cole
2018-06-13 20:54:04 UTC
I meant “we” in the generic sense.
hypatiab7(hypatiab7)
2018-06-30 07:44:44 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
I meant “we” in the generic sense.
I like asteroid or comet, but I'll wait for the astronomers to makeup
their minds.
Don Martin
2018-06-30 13:04:17 UTC
On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 00:44:44 -0700 (PDT), "hypatiab7(hypatiab7)"
Post by hypatiab7(hypatiab7)
I meant “we” in the generic sense.
I like asteroid or comet, but I'll wait for the astronomers to makeup
their minds.
Acvcording to recent fly-by photos, it is at least massive enough to
have a spherical shape rather than resembling a potato. That argues
for small planet (planetoid?)
hleopold
2018-06-13 21:10:55 UTC
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we
call it?
Pluto got along quite fine for 4.5 billion years before we started calling it
a planet, or calling it Pluto. It will get along just fine whatever we call
it.

I personally don’t consider Pluto to be a planet, too small, too many
others pretty much the same size in the same general area of the solar
system. Remember, we used to call a bunch of astroids “planets” for quite
a while, but we kept finding ever more of them, so we dropped it nearly a
hundred years ago, I have not heard anyone during my entire life grumping
that we no longer call those astroids “planets” anymore.

Privately I call Pluto “Fred."
--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

“No gods were physically harmed during the making of this post. However
nothing was in the contract about emotional or psychological harm.”
hypatiab7(hypatiab7)
2018-06-30 07:57:19 UTC
Post by hleopold
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we
call it?
Pluto got along quite fine for 4.5 billion years before we started calling it
a planet, or calling it Pluto. It will get along just fine whatever we call
it.
I personally don’t consider Pluto to be a planet, too small, too many
others pretty much the same size in the same general area of the solar
system. Remember, we used to call a bunch of astroids “planets” for quite
a while, but we kept finding ever more of them, so we dropped it nearly a
hundred years ago, I have not heard anyone during my entire life grumping
that we no longer call those astroids “planets” anymore.
Privately I call Pluto “Fred."
I have an uncle named Fred and had another uncle named Bill plus I had a
step-uncle named Marty. No way I'm going to call an asteroid or comet Marty!
Lilith or Ashera are great names for comets or asteroids.
MarkA
2018-06-13 21:46:23 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
"planet" is a term the ancient Greeks used to describe stars that moved
relative to the other, fixed stars. As Pluto is not visible to the naked
eye, it shouldn't be called a planet. Even Uranus and Neptune are iffy.
--
MarkA

You can safely assume that you have created God in your own image when it
turns out that God hates all the same people you do. -- Anne Lamott
Smiler
2018-06-13 22:54:24 UTC
Post by MarkA
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
"planet" is a term the ancient Greeks used to describe stars that moved
relative to the other, fixed stars. As Pluto is not visible to the
naked eye, it shouldn't be called a planet. Even Uranus and Neptune are
iffy.
Uranus may be iffy. Mine is just fine.

Michael Cole
2018-06-13 23:16:01 UTC
By the way, Uranus probably smells like a bad fart. Recent observations detected substantial amounts of hydrogen sulfide and other sulfides and sulfates in the outer atmosphere. They are the main chemicals that cause the odor of offensive farts.
Cloud Hobbit
2018-06-29 09:13:09 UTC
Uranus may be iffy. Mine is just fine.
Dude, TMI.
Smiler
2018-06-29 23:42:05 UTC
Uranus may be iffy. Mine is just fine.
Dude, TMI.
Not from where I'm standing.

2018-06-30 07:16:32 UTC
Not from where I'm standing.
You must be to far away.
Are you standing on a chair? 😉
Smiler
2018-07-01 00:58:50 UTC
Not from where I'm standing.
You must be to far away.
Are you standing on a chair? 😉
It's not a stool.

b***@m.nu
2018-06-14 00:41:59 UTC
Post by MarkA
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
"planet" is a term the ancient Greeks used to describe stars that moved
relative to the other, fixed stars. As Pluto is not visible to the naked
eye, it shouldn't be called a planet. Even Uranus and Neptune are iffy.
Fuck it I say we just do away with the lot of them and call them all
pretty bubbles.....
Robert Carnegie
2018-06-13 23:16:38 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not?
Does it matter what we call it?
Dwarf planet, minor planet, Kuiper Belt object.

It's one of a swarm; it isn't a landmark that dominates
the "geography" of the Solar System, as the other famous
planets are. That's why the title of "major planet"
matters. Calling Pluto a "planet" is misleading,
and so it is wrong.
hypatiab7(hypatiab7)
2018-06-30 06:47:24 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
Cast a vote. Should we call Pluto a planet or not? Does it matter what we call it?
It's probably an asteroid from the Kuiper Belt. It's half ice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuiper_belt

http://gikipedia.org/lp/why+is+pluto+not+a+planet?source=google&modaltest&c=modalpic&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6duU0uH62wIVwVmGCh1UUw8EEAAYBCAAEgL5hfD_BwE
Let Cosby Go-Justice Must Not Enable Sluts
2018-07-02 20:06:19 UTC
Which reminds me, on what basis was it called planet in the first place? When you cast vote it is no longer about science but politics....Evolution is NO science.Boo-Hoo! get over it.
Michael Cole
2018-07-03 00:18:43 UTC
When I said “cast a vote” I just meant express your scientific opinion. And science does require not just understanding nature, but formulating our understanding of nature in categories that better organize our understanding. Pluto does what it does whether or not we call it a planet. The question is which definition is more humanly convenient.
hleopold
2018-07-03 02:48:42 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
When I said “cast a vote” I just meant express your scientific opinion.
And science does require not just understanding nature, but formulating our
understanding of nature in categories that better organize our understanding.
Pluto does what it does whether or not we call it a planet. The question is
which definition is more humanly convenient.
Pluto is just a large ball of rock, ices and metals. “scientific opinion”
is pretty much an oxymoron in this sort of case. Calling something a planet,
dwarf planet, astroid, comet, etc., is just for human convenience and
oftentimes pretty damned silly: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Pluto (planets
named after various gods) ... and Dirt. We named out own planet after dirt,
earth. Even “Terra” means “dirt.” Really we should have at least
called it “damp earth,” that would at least be a bit closer to reality.
Forget about what we call Pluto, we let it keep its name, get started on
renaming our planet to something less prosaic than “dirt.”

Believe me, I am giving your question/statement all the seriousness it
deserves, which is complete seriousness, both in reading your post and in
answering it. I am not snarking, though it may seem like I am. If some
professional astronomer where to ask me the same question, I would respond
exactly the same. (I would also question their sanity.)
--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076
AA/Vet #4
The Prints of Darkness (remove gene to email)

“I was raised Southern Baptist, brat; I cut my eyeteeth in the revival tent
circuit. I ate breakfast with all the saints, and know 'em by their first
names. I sweetened my cereal with brimstone and kept warm by hellfire on cold
winter mornings.“ - Kermit