Trump deems houses of worship 'essential' amid pandemic...ignores atheists!
Miloch
2020-05-22 20:22:13 UTC
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/politics/religious-gatherings-cdc-coronavirus/index.html

Washington (CNN) — President Donald Trump announced Friday that his
administration is issuing guidance deeming places of worship "essential" during
the coronavirus pandemic, calling on governors to reopen religious institutions
for services.

Trump threatened to "override" governors if their states did not follow the new
federal recommendations, but it was unclear what authority the President was
referring to. The recommendations are voluntary.

"Some governors have deemed liquor stores and abortion clinics essential, but
have left our churches and houses of worship. It's not right. So I'm correcting
this injustice and calling houses of worship essential," Trump said during his
announcement at the White House.

The President said that at his direction, the US Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention will provide the guidance.

Trump said he was calling upon governors to "allow churches and places of
worship to open right now."

"If there's any question, they're going to have to call me, but they're not
going to be successful in that call," Trump added.

"The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important
essential places of faith to open right now, this weekend. If they don't do it,
I will override the governors," he continued.

Later in the briefing, White House Coronavirus Task Force Coordinator Dr.
Deborah Birx and White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, underscored that
reopening was at the discretion of governors and religious leaders.

"I think each one of the leaders in the faith community should be in touch with
their local health department so they can communicate to their congregants.
Certainly people that have significant comorbidities, we want them protected. I
know those houses of worship want to protect them," Birx said. "Maybe they can't
go this week if there's high numbers of Covid cases. Maybe they wait another
week. But there is a way to social distance ... in places of worship."

McEnany, asked about Birx's response, said the decision to reopen based on the
new federal guidance is "up to the governors."

McEnany would not explain what authority Trump would use to "override"
governors' decisions to keep places of worship closed.

A senior administration official told CNN that the guidance had been initially
delayed because some officials believed the proposals were too detailed and
would be impossible for churches and others to achieve. There was also talk of
putting out no guidance at all on religious services, but Trump had
conversations with CDC officials and urged them to issue something.

The White House coronavirus task force finalized the guidance during a meeting
on Thursday, the source said.

The President referred to the conversations with CDC officials on Thursday,
telling participants and the press at a listening session with African
Americans, "I said, 'You better put it out.' "

"I spoke to CDC today about churches. We've got to get our churches open. We've
got to get our country open," he said.

As Trump has pressured localities and states to reopen amid the coronavirus
pandemic, he's put particular weight on the reopening of places of worship.

He said in April that it would be "beautiful" for churches to be open and
"packed" on Easter Sunday. He later said the date was aspirational.

Ahead of Easter Sunday, he advised faith leaders to wait for the country to "get
healed" from the coronavirus pandemic before holding services in person.

But more recently, the President has lamented that digital religious services
aren't the same as in-person ones.

"People want to be in their churches. It's wonderful to sit home and watch
something on a laptop, but it can never be the same as being in a church and
being with your friends. And they want to have it open, and I think that's going
to be happening... very shortly," Trump said during Thursday's listening
session.

Large gatherings, like those in houses of worship, have been linked to clusters
of coronavirus. This month, two churches in northern California linked the
spread of coronavirus among church members and clergy to Mother's Day services.
A Texas church recently canceled its masses after one of its priests died and
five others subsequently tested positive for the coronavirus.

*
JWS
2020-05-22 20:44:58 UTC
Trump deems houses of worship 'essential' amid pandemic...ignores atheists!
"...ignores atheists!" ??? Maybe that's because we don't go
to church? Huh?
Cool. Leave us out of it.
This month, two churches in northern California linked the
spread of coronavirus among church members and clergy to
Mother's Day services.
A Texas church recently canceled its masses after one of
its priests died and five others subsequently tested positive
for the coronavirus.
They are not real xtians.
.
LinuxGal
2020-05-22 20:56:11 UTC
Post by JWS
Trump deems houses of worship 'essential' amid pandemic...ignores atheists!
"...ignores atheists!" ??? Maybe that's because we don't go
to church? Huh? Cool. Leave us out of it.
Darwinism is about to be demonstrated for reals.
--
Linux Geeks: Smart. Single. Sexy.
Well, two out of three ain't bad!

2020-05-24 11:37:13 UTC
In article
Post by LinuxGal
Post by JWS
Trump deems houses of worship 'essential' amid pandemic...ignores atheists!
"...ignores atheists!" ??? Maybe that's because we don't go
to church? Huh? Cool. Leave us out of it.
Darwinism is about to be demonstrated for reals.
Wingnuts are driven by the core values: antichrist and
antidemocrat. Any position associated with democrats must be
reflexively rejected. The isolation orders started with
democratic Santa Clara County and California. Therefore isolation
orders must be democratic, therefore must be rejected by all true
republicans.

Humans have been selected for intelligence. Republicans are
headed for extinction.
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
2020-05-22 20:53:46 UTC
Post by Miloch
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/politics/religious-gatherings-cdc-coronavirus/index.html
Washington (CNN) — President Donald Trump announced Friday that his
administration is issuing guidance deeming places of worship "essential" during
the coronavirus pandemic, calling on governors to reopen religious institutions
for services.
Trump threatened to "override" governors if their states did not follow
the new federal recommendations, but it was unclear what authority
the President was referring to. The recommendations are voluntary.
The Department of Justice could file civil rights suits on behalf
of those who believe their right to free exercise of religion,
guaranteed in the First Amendment, has been abridged. Also:

[quote]

The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union,
a republican form of government,.....

[/quote] Article IV, Section 4 of the Constitution

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/art4.asp

To the extent that rules promulgated by governors are
not authorized by the state constitution and/or vote
of the legislature, such edicts can be considered
"ultra vires."

See:

[quote]

A Pandemic Does Not Suspend the Rule of Law

Courts are beginning to recognize that public health
powers, while broad, are not a blank check.

[/quote] - Jacob Sullum in REASON

https://reason.com/2020/05/20/a-pandemic-does-not-suspend-the-rule-of-law/

Also, from the same author, same date:

[quote]

Ohio Judge Deems the State's COVID-19 Lockdown "Arbitrary,
Unreasonable, and Oppressive"

The ruling says the state's top health official exceeded her
statutory authority by ordering "nonessential" businesses to close.

[/quote] -

https://reason.com/2020/05/20/ohio-judge-deems-the-states-covid-19-lockdown-arbitrary-unreasonable-and-oppressive/#comments

IANAL, nor do I play one on TV, just a former PoliSci student
with an undergraduate degree.

Miloch
2020-05-22 21:04:13 UTC
In article <6626c1ed-50cb-4b17-937d-***@googlegroups.com>, Kevrob
says...
Post by Miloch
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/politics/religious-gatherings-cdc-coronavi=
rus/index.html
=20
[/quote] -=20
https://reason.com/2020/05/20/ohio-judge-deems-the-states-covid-19-lockdown=
-arbitrary-unreasonable-and-oppressive/#comments
IANAL, nor do I play one on TV, just a former PoliSci student
with an undergraduate degree.
That's your prob, Kev..."undergraduate degree". You need to go back to school
and get a masters in PoliSci (a major chosen by those who admit they're too
stupid/lazy to study something useful)

*
Kevrob
2020-05-22 21:27:43 UTC
Post by Miloch
says...
Post by Miloch
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/politics/religious-gatherings-cdc-coronavi=
rus/index.html
=20
[/quote] -=20
https://reason.com/2020/05/20/ohio-judge-deems-the-states-covid-19-lockdown=
-arbitrary-unreasonable-and-oppressive/#comments
IANAL, nor do I play one on TV, just a former PoliSci student
with an undergraduate degree.
That's your prob, Kev..."undergraduate degree". You need to go
back to school and get a masters in PoliSci (a major chosen by
those who admit they're too stupid/lazy to study something useful)
I'm out of college 35+ years. I did do a "double-major," the
other being history. I did get my ass-kicked in the late 70s
by "the Russian flu," had to withdraw and finish up 5 years later,
when I had scraped together the funding. Otherwise, I might have
gone to law school. If I had it to do all over again, and didn't
choose a STEM course of study, I might have done Philosophy, then
law school. Even in the late 70s, I knew a PS masters was near-useless.
You needed a doctorate to teach anywhere decent at the college level.

PoliSci + Computer Science + Statistics and I might have made
some money working in polling! I did take 6 credits of each of
those, when I returned to school in the early 80s, and a course
in public opinion and polling. I'd been a "working man" for awhile,
and thought they'd be useful. When I worked in the bookstore trade,
I did get assigned to be "the computer guy" in some stores. "In
the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Protip: before reading an article on polls, scroll down or look at the
bottom of the page for the sample size and the margin of era. Polls
with not enough responses are not very reliable.

2020-05-23 11:37:48 UTC
Protip: before reading an article on polls, scroll down or look at the
bottom of the page for the sample size and the margin of era. Polls
with not enough responses are not very reliable.
Like the now-vanished Kitwax offering the ages of Presidents and Roman
Emperors as evidence that life expectancy was not formerly much
shorter than it is today? And he bleated a lot about statistical
purity . . .
d***@cox.net
2020-05-23 17:46:10 UTC
Post by Miloch
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/22/politics/religious-gatherings-cdc-coronavirus/index.html
Washington (CNN) — President Donald Trump announced Friday that his
administration is issuing guidance deeming places of worship "essential" during
the coronavirus pandemic, calling on governors to reopen religious institutions
for services.
Trump threatened to "override" governors if their states did not follow
the new federal recommendations, but it was unclear what authority
the President was referring to. The recommendations are voluntary.
The Department of Justice could file civil rights suits on behalf
of those who believe their right to free exercise of religion,
[quote]
The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union,
a republican form of government,.....
Yeah, biden needs his butt kicked.
the dukester, American-American
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-24 13:49:00 UTC
I think this story should be credited to Snopes.com.
However, when I read it there, it was reported as
not true. But now it is true. Since my month's
internet quota is running low, I don't know how they
classify that, but I think the founder of Christianity
might be mentioned.
Siri Cruise
2020-05-24 16:29:40 UTC
In article
Post by Robert Carnegie
I think this story should be credited to Snopes.com.
However, when I read it there, it was reported as
not true. But now it is true. Since my month's
internet quota is running low, I don't know how they
classify that, but I think the founder of Christianity
might be mentioned.
This is already in courts. iDJT's blusterring serves no purpose
and is no threat. Let the grownups deal with this, little Donny.

The court decisions I've seen seem to be going that bans on
gatherrings that just so happen to include churches are okay
during the emergency. Bans specific to churches are not.
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\