Tests and masks
Add Reply
David Canzi
2020-03-24 01:31:37 UTC
When Trump says tests are available, organizations that need
them wait for their imminent arrival. When the tests don't
arrive, people who are infected but not yet symptomatic go
about their daily business, unaware and undetected, spreading
the disease.

When Trump says mask production is ramping up, organizations
that need masks pause and wait for their arrival. And when
the masks don't arrive health workers resort to desperate
improvisations to try to protect themselves, with at best
partial success.

If organizations had known sooner that Trump's promised tests
and masks were not coming, they would have had more time to
find other sources for the tests and masks, and fewer people
would die.

Trump's casual lies are killing people.
--
David Canzi

The Republican party is the Swamp.
Malcolm McMahon
2020-03-24 13:08:22 UTC
Post by David Canzi
When Trump says tests are available, organizations that need
them wait for their imminent arrival. When the tests don't
arrive, people who are infected but not yet symptomatic go
about their daily business, unaware and undetected, spreading
the disease.
When Trump says mask production is ramping up, organizations
that need masks pause and wait for their arrival. And when
the masks don't arrive health workers resort to desperate
improvisations to try to protect themselves, with at best
partial success.
If organizations had known sooner that Trump's promised tests
and masks were not coming, they would have had more time to
find other sources for the tests and masks, and fewer people
would die.
Tests can't really be devised in advance, but every nation, just as it has a
secret pandemic contingency plan, should have had secret stockpiles of PPE,
hand sanetiser and the like, which would be pretty much the same whatever bug
turned out to be the problem. Maybe they will next time.
d***@cox.net
2020-03-24 21:03:11 UTC
Post by David Canzi
When Trump says tests are available, organizations that need
them wait for their imminent arrival. When the tests don't
arrive, people who are infected but not yet symptomatic go
about their daily business, unaware and undetected, spreading
the disease.
They've been told to hunker down at 6 ft.
Post by David Canzi
When Trump says mask production is ramping up, organizations
that need masks pause and wait for their arrival. And when
the masks don't arrive health workers resort to desperate
improvisations to try to protect themselves, with at best
partial success.
If organizations had known sooner that Trump's promised tests
and masks were not coming, they would have had more time to
find other sources for the tests and masks, and fewer people
would die.
Like what?
Post by David Canzi
Trump's casual lies are killing people.
No, the virus is killing people.
the dukester, American-American
David Canzi
2020-03-26 06:18:00 UTC
Post by David Canzi
Trump's casual lies are killing people.
No, the virus is killing people.
A virus is not a moral agent.

Cloud Hobbit
2020-03-26 07:16:43 UTC
What kind of mask is appropriate?

Asking for a friend.
David Canzi
2020-03-26 18:58:01 UTC
What kind of mask is appropriate?
Asking for a friend.
I'm not an expert on this. Most information I know
about this is from the CBC and MSNBC.

The common masks I see when I venture cautiously
out in public mainly protect other people from the
wearer, if the wearer is infected. There are more
expensive masks that protect medical workers from
being infected by their patients. Tell your friend
not to try to obtain those masks. One of the ways
things can get worse is if, at the height of the
epidemic, some large fraction of health workers
are home sick. If they catch the virus they will
be out of action for weeks.

Distance is better protection than a mask.

I have considered wearing a mask, not to protect
me directly from infected people, but to prevent
me from touching my face. A Halloween mask would
do that. And get interesting reactions when I go
out in public. Especially when I go to the bank.

Cloud Hobbit
2020-03-26 19:23:07 UTC
Post by David Canzi
I'm not an expert on this. Most information I know
about this is from the CBC and MSNBC.

What I have heard is that there are masks that help and there are those that do nothing, such as the ones so many Asian people tend to wear made from cloth.

My wife got tested in the medical office wher she works. She was negative.

They have both kinds of masks. The effective ones are apparently the ones that cause one's glasses to fog.

The others are cloth and one can easily breathe with them in place.

I don't know what the effective ones are called but I know they have a name.

I will see if I can find out what it is called.
Cloud Hobbit
2020-03-26 19:28:29 UTC
According to Livescience:

In the past, infectious disease experts questioned the value of homemade cloth masks as a defense against viruses like the flu. But now those same experts are urging medical professionals who only have access to limited protective equipment to use homemade cloth masks if they have absolutely no other option. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now recommends that health care providers with absolutely no other option use a bandana or scarf when treating patients with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. However,this should ideally be paired with a face shield, and even then, the impact on disease reduction is unknown.
_________________

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Stay healthy.
Malcolm McMahon
2020-03-29 09:23:24 UTC
In the past, infectious disease experts questioned the value of homemade cloth
masks as a defense against viruses like the flu. But now those same experts are
urging medical professionals who only have access to limited protective
equipment to use homemade cloth masks if they have absolutely no other option.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now recommends that health
care providers with absolutely no other option use a bandana or scarf when
treating patients with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.
However,this should ideally be paired with a face shield, and even then, the
impact on disease reduction is unknown.
Any kind of mask is going to help protect other people from any infection _you_
are carrying, since it's going to collect most of the droplets when you cough.

Less effective in the other direction. And you can, apparenly, contract the
virus through your eyes which is why full face sheids are probably best.

I've had a couple of masks on order from Amazon for about a month now. They are
now saying I should have them by Friday. I'll probably wear them when I go to
the supermarket, almost certainly the most infectious environment I'm visiting
at the moment.
Don Martin
2020-03-29 10:53:47 UTC
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 09:23:24 -0000 (UTC), Malcolm McMahon
[...]
The mask has a further health effect: when I see a person wearing
one, I assume that he or she is infected and shedding virus per the
CDC guidelines and give them a wider berth.
2020-03-26 19:46:31 UTC
What kind of mask is appropriate?
Asking for a friend.
I want Mr A's.

http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/296/

2020-03-26 19:53:13 UTC
i just stay underwater
d***@cox.net
2020-03-27 18:55:11 UTC
Post by David Canzi
Post by David Canzi
Trump's casual lies are killing people.
No, the virus is killing people.
A virus is not a moral agent.
Lets' see - just for the sake of discussion, the virus became a world problem,
say, mid December. It's now Mid or late March. that's 3-3.5 months. Right
now, we're a good 2 months into the issue. Where would we be if we had
"started" 3.5 months ago but when the problem was not as well defined?
the dukester, American-American
michellemalkingmail.com
2020-03-26 09:30:18 UTC
Post by David Canzi
Trump's casual lies are killing people.
No, the virus is killing people.
No, both are killing people. Trump is delaying everything or doesn't mean to help at all. Maybe he's under orders from his buddies Putin and Kim and
maybe a Turk or two.
Don Martin
2020-03-26 14:58:18 UTC
On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 02:30:18 -0700 (PDT), "michellemalkingmail.com"
Post by michellemalkingmail.com
Post by David Canzi
Trump's casual lies are killing people.
No, the virus is killing people.
No, both are killing people. Trump is delaying everything or doesn't mean to help at all. Maybe he's under orders from his buddies Putin and Kim and
maybe a Turk or two.
Yet Mr. Canzi is correct: only one of the two is culpable in the
resultant deaths. The virus is merely doing what we all do,
mindlessly attempting to survive and reproduce. It does not _mean_ to
kill people; the most successful viruses do not do that, for their
progeny would be buried or cremated with the host (not a successful
strategy for fitness). Over time covid-19 will either die out or
become less lethal. The same cannot be said for the race of stupid
politicians.
d***@cox.net
2020-03-27 18:56:10 UTC
Post by David Canzi
Trump's casual lies are killing people.
No, the virus is killing people.
No, both are killing people. Trump is delaying everything or doesn't mean to help at all.
You're crazy, fat lady.