It’s hard for atheists to have a group identity, because they don’t have an ideology
a***@gmail.com
2019-01-14 07:39:00 UTC
What atheists have in common is disbelief in gods. But what do they believe in? Some are united in their hate for theism. Some are nihilistic.

My ideology is truth. But most atheists don’t care as much as I do about truth.

It is difficult for atheists to present an united front, because they are diverse. But diverse systems can be more resilient. However you will not get a feeling of a higher purpose.

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor

“Life is what you make it”
Malcolm McMahon
2019-01-14 09:12:47 UTC
***@gmail.com wrote:
What atheists have in common is disbelief in gods. But what do they believe
in? Some are united in their hate for theism. Some are nihilistic.
Many lean to humanism. Atheism doesn't impose an ideology, but humanism is the
philosophy most compatible with atheism.

But actually most atheists don't wear atheism on their sleaves. They just avoid
the subject of religion.
My ideology is truth. But most atheists don’t care as much as I do about
truth.
That's an important aspect of humanism.
It is difficult for atheists to present an united front, because they are
diverse. But diverse systems can be more resilient. However you will not get
a feeling of a higher purpose.
Atheism isn't a "system", nor is it a choice. It has no "purpose". Its a
conclusion that people reach.
Christopher A. Lee
2019-01-14 15:25:07 UTC
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:12:47 -0000 (UTC), Malcolm McMahon
Post by a***@gmail.com
What atheists have in common is disbelief in gods. But what do they believe
in?
What else do people believe, who also believe in gods, imbecile?
Post by a***@gmail.com
Some are united in their hate for theism. Some are nihilistic.
Yet more lies about atheists.

How many times do we have to explain that atheism isn't a movement,
ideology, etc.

Just a useful description saying we aren't a specific thing that many
other people are which is all we have in common.

Yet the troll seems to imagine we are a unified, homogeneous group who
all think the same way about everything.

It doesn't motivate or justify anything.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Many lean to humanism. Atheism doesn't impose an ideology, but humanism is the
philosophy most compatible with atheism.
And many more don't. Most atheists don't even give a thought to their
atheism unless theists bring up their god(s) inappropriately.
Post by a***@gmail.com
But actually most atheists don't wear atheism on their sleaves. They just avoid
the subject of religion.
Exactly.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
My ideology is truth.
Obviously not. If it were, you wouldn't lie about atheists here.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
But most atheists don’t care as much as I do about
truth.
Another of your lies.
Post by a***@gmail.com
It is difficult for atheists to present an united front, because they are
diverse. But diverse systems can be more resilient. However you will not get
a feeling of a higher purpose.
There's that religious thinking, again.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Atheism isn't a "system", nor is it a choice. It has no "purpose". Its a
conclusion that people reach.
Like most theists (eve if they claim to be only 5%), he can't grasp
just how much of a non-event atheism is. That it neither motivates nor
justifies anything, etc.
Robert Carnegie
2019-01-15 02:04:57 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Some are united in their hate for theism. Some are nihilistic.
Yet more lies about atheists.
How many times do we have to explain that atheism isn't a movement,
ideology, etc.
Just a useful description saying we aren't a specific thing that many
other people are which is all we have in common.
Yet the troll seems to imagine we are a unified, homogeneous group who
all think the same way about everything.
It doesn't motivate or justify anything.
Actually the point he makes, I think, is that atheism
isn't a group activity. Humanism can be, but that's
different.

And this, besides fearing us, is why religion likes
to gang up to attack atheists; we don't resist well
and we're an easy target.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
But most atheists don’t care as much as I do about
truth.
Another of your lies.
I have some sense that AL's "truth" is whichever
book he has just been reading. But apparently he
reads a lot, and quickly!
justifies anything, etc.
Malcolm McMahon
Entirely so. Humanism is a philosophy. Atheism is not.
m***@gmail.com
2019-01-15 16:39:44 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Some are united in their hate for theism. Some are nihilistic.
Yet more lies about atheists.
How many times do we have to explain that atheism isn't a movement,
ideology, etc.
Just a useful description saying we aren't a specific thing that many
other people are which is all we have in common.
Yet the troll seems to imagine we are a unified, homogeneous group who
all think the same way about everything.
It doesn't motivate or justify anything.
Actually the point he makes, I think, is that atheism
isn't a group activity. Humanism can be, but that's
different.
Atheism can be a group activity with groups like the Atheist Meetups
and rallies and conventions. But, those are just small groups, not
all of us. I used to go to all three, until my health put a stop to
that.

Post by a***@gmail.com
It is difficult for atheists to present an united front, because
they are diverse. But diverse systems can be more resilient.
However you will not get a feeling of a higher purpose.
What higher purpose? The one you choose for us? No. Each atheist is an
individual. We're not herd animals.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Atheism isn't a "system", nor is it a choice. It has no "purpose". Its a
conclusion that people reach.
Like most theists (even if they claim to be only 5%), he can't grasp
just how much of a non-event atheism is. That it neither motivates nor
justifies anything, etc.
It is in as far as it is freeing mentally. Once the religious nonsense and
restrictions are gone, you can go on to read and learn whatever you want.
There's no fear of an evil god of some kind punishing you for learning to
think for yourself. Of course, this doesn't mean that you're going to go out
and break any law you feel like breaking. Civil law is not religion.
Robert Carnegie
2019-01-15 21:44:43 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
It is difficult for atheists to present an united front, because
they are diverse. But diverse systems can be more resilient.
However you will not get a feeling of a higher purpose.
What higher purpose? The one you choose for us? No. Each atheist is an
individual. We're not herd animals.
He doesn't say that religious people have a higher
purpose. They just think they have. It still feels
good. Apart from still feeling guilty about sin all
the time. Although bot all religions do that.
Malcolm McMahon
2019-01-22 09:22:11 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by a***@gmail.com
It is difficult for atheists to present an united front, because
they are diverse. But diverse systems can be more resilient.
However you will not get a feeling of a higher purpose.
What higher purpose? The one you choose for us? No. Each atheist is an
individual. We're not herd animals.
He doesn't say that religious people have a higher
purpose. They just think they have. It still feels
good. Apart from still feeling guilty about sin all
the time. Although bot all religions do that.
I have to say I'm not clear what that purpose is supposed to be. What _use_ to
theists imagine their deity has for them?
Robert Carnegie
May I take that as a rhetorical question?
m***@gmail.com
2019-01-15 16:06:44 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
It is difficult for atheists to present an united front, because they are
diverse. But diverse systems can be more resilient. However you will not get
a feeling of a higher purpose.
Atheism isn't a "system", nor is it a choice. It has no "purpose". Its a
conclusion that people reach.
I sent him a couple articles about Humanism and Secular Humanism. I doubt
that he bothered to read them. He didn't comment on them, though they were
a part of what we were discussing at the time. They would have explained
the Humanist philosophy to him in very simple terms. He constantly brings up topics which he uses to try to make atheism look bad. He isn't interested in
having anything he says disproved. He has his assumptions and he intends to stick with them. He simply wants to upset people. More than anyone else, he reminds me of Mattb, since he uses the same sneaky methods. I'm not saying
that he is him, just that he uses his methods. He doesn't sound like him.
Cloud Hobbit
2019-01-14 09:29:32 UTC

What higher purpose than freedom of thought and the freedom to act on those thoughts?
C***@deathtochristianity.pl
2019-01-14 21:08:13 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
What atheists have in common is disbelief in gods. But what do they believe in? Some are united in their hate for theism. Some are nihilistic.
since you seem to be an idiot let me help you out....
An atheist has no disbelief in gods or fairies or santa claus. An
atheist has NO BELIEF in gods fairies or santa claus. Disbelief is the
inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real. Gods
fairies and santa claus are not real or true. Atheists cant refuse to
believe or accept a god because there are no gods.
Post by a***@gmail.com
My ideology is truth. But most atheists don’t care as much as I do about truth.
All atheists here know you are a fucking liar. How that for irony?
Post by a***@gmail.com
It is difficult for atheists to present an united front, because they are diverse. But diverse systems can be more resilient. However you will not get a feeling of a higher purpose.
Atheists have no need to present a united front. Atheists have no need
to assemble and pray to a non existent god....

You are a fucking moron
Post by a***@gmail.com
Abhinav Lal
idiot & moron
“Life is what you make it”

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
JWS
2019-01-14 21:28:00 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
What atheists have in common is disbelief in gods. But what do they believe in? Some are united in their hate for theism. Some are nihilistic.
My ideology is truth. But most atheists don’t care as much as I do about truth.
Then why come is your first sentence a lie?
Did you only start caring about "truth" in
your second paragraph?
“Life is what you make it”
They Lean On Founding Fathers' Misunderstanding
YOU KEEP CONTRADICTING YOURSELF... LOSER
Cloud Hobbit
2019-01-22 09:39:53 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
What atheists have in common is disbelief in gods. But what do they believe in? Some are united in their hate for theism. Some are nihilistic.
My ideology is truth. But most atheists don’t care as much as I do about truth.
It is difficult for atheists to present an united front, because they are diverse. But diverse systems can be more resilient. However you will not get a feeling of a higher purpose.
Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor
“Life is what you make it”
If your point is simply that there is no group identity for atheists, then point taken but already well understood.

You kinda sound like its a bad thing. I think its the best thing. We are completely free to choose who we are and what we endorse and what we don't.

I suspect that once all the pieces fell into place, the realization that God's are myths became as obvious as water is wet. Then we went on with our lives as if nothing had happened.
Because nothing did.
a***@gmail.com
2019-01-22 09:59:03 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
What atheists have in common is disbelief in gods. But what do they believe in? Some are united in their hate for theism. Some are nihilistic.
My ideology is truth. But most atheists don’t care as much as I do about truth.
It is difficult for atheists to present an united front, because they are diverse. But diverse systems can be more resilient. However you will not get a feeling of a higher purpose.
Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor
“Life is what you make it”
If your point is simply that there is no group identity for atheists, then point taken but already well understood.
You kinda sound like its a bad thing. I think its the best thing. We are completely free to choose who we are and what we endorse and what we don't.
American society is individualist, but you take great pride in being the richest and most powerful nation on earth. This group identity may give you purpose, pleasure in serving the nation and its citizens.

Ideally there should be a balance between the group and individuals, between cooperation and competition.

Most atheists, like me, are individualist, because we like to think for ourselves and make up our own minds. But cooperation is required whether you serve in business or government.

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor

“Nature is cruel”
Alex W.
2019-01-23 00:36:42 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Most atheists, like me, are individualist, because we like to think
for ourselves and make up our own minds. But cooperation is required
whether you serve in business or government.
You forget the other reason: atheism, by its very nature, is not an
ideology. It is the *absence* of groupthink. An atheist is someone who
refuses to pledge allegiance to any one of the most powerful collectives
known to Mankind. This predisposes us to individualism.
Bob
2019-01-23 00:53:58 UTC
Post by Alex W.
You forget the other reason: atheism, by its very nature, is not an
ideology. It is the *absence* of groupthink. An atheist is someone who
refuses to pledge allegiance to any one of the most powerful collectives
known to Mankind. This predisposes us to individualism.
We know that's what you "believe". We've all seen it/heard it thousands
of times. But what we think of you as is that little boy who refuses to
wash his hands before supper. You may go into the bathroom, and you may
close the door behind you, and you may run some water in the sink for
approximately 1 minute, and you may even get your hands wet. But you
will never get any soap on your hands. We see you as that little boy who
never has, and probably never will, mature into an adult human being.