Cruise ship with passengers exhibiting flu-like symtoms, headed for Florida
2020-03-24 16:04:41 UTC
...I don't get it. This ship left on March 7. Why would anyone get on
a cruise ship knowing that there's a viral pandemic approaching:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cruise-ship-flu-symptoms-florida/index.html
Florida(CNN) — A cruise ship with 42 sick people aboard is heading to
Florida and is expected to dock next week.

The people --13 guests and 29 crew members -- aboard Holland America's
Zaandam are experiencing flu-like symptoms, a statement from the
cruise line said.

Initially, the ship was granted permission to disembark in Punta
Arenas, Chile, but it was later rescinded. No testing for coronavirus
is available on the ship, according to the statement.
"Since it is flu season, and COVID-19 testing is not available on
board, it is difficult to determine the cause of these elevated cases
at this time," the statement said.
Christopher A. Lee
2020-03-24 16:09:13 UTC
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:04:41 -0700, John Locke
Post by John Locke
...I don't get it. This ship left on March 7. Why would anyone get on
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cruise-ship-flu-symptoms-florida/index.html
Florida(CNN) — A cruise ship with 42 sick people aboard is heading to
Florida and is expected to dock next week.
The people --13 guests and 29 crew members -- aboard Holland America's
Zaandam are experiencing flu-like symptoms, a statement from the
cruise line said.
Initially, the ship was granted permission to disembark in Punta
Arenas, Chile, but it was later rescinded. No testing for coronavirus
is available on the ship, according to the statement.
"Since it is flu season, and COVID-19 testing is not available on
board, it is difficult to determine the cause of these elevated cases
at this time," the statement said.
Cruise ships are like airliners - everybody breathes the same
recirculated air, so it was to be expected by anyone with more than
half a brain.
default
2020-03-24 17:18:52 UTC
Post by John Locke
[...]
The question is why would they be allowed to dock? It would be a
small matter to drop virus test kits to the ship while still at sea,
THEN determine what to do.

I live close to a shipping port. It is common practice to anchor
ships off the coast, weather permitting, until their quarantine,
customs, contraband, and other issues are dealt with, or to just wait
for a favorable tide.
Andrew
2020-03-25 09:40:43 UTC
Post by default
[...]
..you're right...let's just hope that the port authorities are
rational enough to take the proper steps.
Are you afraid of the virus, John?
John Locke
2020-03-25 12:50:17 UTC
On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 01:40:43 -0800, "Andrew"
Post by Andrew
Post by default
[...]
...no, I'm cautious...fear causes panic and then people do bizarre
things...sort of like Christians, with their fear of hell !
Oko tillo
2020-03-25 21:05:19 UTC
Post by Andrew
Post by default
[...]
==
Post by Andrew
Are you afraid of the virus, John?
Are you rooting for the virus, Andrew?

Because thing like the Hilina Slump and Obama and the expulsion of Russian spies keep letting you down?

Oko
JTEM
2020-03-25 13:17:49 UTC
Post by default
The question is why would they be allowed to dock? It would be a
small matter to drop virus test kits to the ship while still at sea,
THEN determine what to do.
So you're saying that the reports don't make sense, that the actions
do not map to the threat they are describing.

Yes.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/613544021170814976
Mitchell Holman
2020-03-24 17:58:55 UTC
...I don't get it. This ship left on March 7. Why would anyone get on
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cruise-ship-flu-symptoms-florida/ind
ex.html
Florida(CNN) — A cruise ship with 42 sick people aboard is heading to
Florida and is expected to dock next week.
The people --13 guests and 29 crew members -- aboard Holland America's
Zaandam are experiencing flu-like symptoms, a statement from the
cruise line said.
Initially, the ship was granted permission to disembark in Punta
Arenas, Chile, but it was later rescinded. No testing for coronavirus
is available on the ship, according to the statement.
"Since it is flu season, and COVID-19 testing is not available on
board, it is difficult to determine the cause of these elevated cases
at this time," the statement said.
Given the history of food-borne
illness on cruise ships - Listeria,
Salmonella, E Coli - why would anyone
set foot on one?
Michael Cole
I felt sorry for the people over a month ago who found themselves trapped on the plague ships, er I mean cruise ships. But it is very hard to sympathize with anybody stupid enough to go on a cruise AFTER the Diamond Princess fiasco.
Mitchell Holman
2020-03-26 13:01:28 UTC
Post by John Locke
Florida and is expected to dock next week.
The people --13 guests and 29 crew members -- aboard Holland
America's Zaandam are experiencing flu-like symptoms, a statement
from the cruise line said.
Initially, the ship was granted permission to disembark in Punta
Arenas, Chile, but it was later rescinded. No testing for coronavirus
is available on the ship, according to the statement.
"Since it is flu season, and COVID-19 testing is not available on
board, it is difficult to determine the cause of these elevated cases
at this time," the statement said.
I felt sorry for the people over a month ago who found themselves
trapped on the plague ships, er I mean cruise ships. But it is very
hard to sympathize with anybody stupid enough to go on a cruise AFTER
the Diamond Princess fiasco.
Considering the yearly stories about cruise
ships being hit by outbreaks of Salmonella and
Ecoli and Listeria and Norovirus it is a marvel
that anyone boards them at all.
LinuxGal
2020-03-27 00:40:31 UTC
Post by Michael Cole
I felt sorry for the people over a month ago who found themselves trapped on the plague ships, er I mean cruise ships. But it is very hard to sympathize with anybody stupid enough to go on a cruise AFTER the Diamond Princess fiasco.
A fellow at work went on a cruise a couple weeks ago. Out
of Italy. Plus he has diabetes and a heart condition. I
guess he likes a challenge!
--
I have spoken.