Matt Gaetz's Uncontrollable Heavy Drinking - The Story Behind His DWI Problem
Add Reply
RichA
2020-02-01 03:09:44 UTC
Matt Gaetz DUI Arrest: What Led to His Mugshot
Share on Facebook
Share on Flipboard
Share via E-mailMore share options
37K Views
10.2K Shares

By Erin Laviola
Updated Dec 12, 2019 at 2:27pm
matt gaetz mugshot
Getty
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) was arrested in 2008 on suspicion of DUI, but was
never charged.

Rep. Matt Gaetz is a Republican representing Florida’s first congressional
district and has made a name for himself as a staunch defender of President
Donald Trump.

One of the images that comes up in a Google search of the congressman’s
name is a mugshot. Gaetz was arrested in 2008, nearly a decade before he
was elected to the U.S. Congress.

Here’s what you need to know.

Matt Gaetz Was Arrested in 2008 On Suspicion of DUI Before He Was Elected
to the Florida House
Matt Gaetz
Matt Gaetz

Rep. Gaetz has prior experience making headlines for less-than-positive
reasons. He has always been very open about his own brush with the law
before he became a state congressman. (He was elected to the Florida House
of Representatives in 2010 and to the U.S. Congress in 2016).

Gaetz was arrested on suspicion of DUI on October 30, 2008, when he was 26
years old. He was driving home from a nightclub and was pulled over for
driving 48 in a 35 mile-per-hour zone, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
The SUV belonged to his father, State Senator Don Gaetz.

The deputy, identified as Chris Anglin of the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s
Department, wrote in the arrest report that Gaetz had been unsteady on his
feet and that his eyes were bloodshot. Gaetz reportedly admitted to having
had two beers and refused to perform a field sobriety test or take a breath
test.

Rep. Gaetz’s Arrest Was Alluded to During an Impeachment Hearing; Rep.
Johnson Called Him Out For ‘Calling the Kettle Black’
Johnson Checks Gaetz For Bringing Up Hunter Biden's Past Substance Abuse |
NBC NewsAfter Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., brought up Hunter Biden's past
substance abuse problems, Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga. said "the pot calling
the kettle black is not something we should do." » Subscribe to NBC News:
http://nbcnews.to/SubscribeToNBC » Watch more NBC video:
http://bit.ly/MoreNBCNews NBC News Digital is a collection of innovative
and powerful news brands that deliver compelling, diverse and engaging news
stories. NBC News Digital features NBCNews.com, MSNBC.com, TODAY.com,
Nightly News, Meet the Press, Dateline, and the existing apps and digital
extensions of these respective properties. We deliver the best in breaking
news, live video coverage, original journalism and segments from your
favorite NBC News Shows. Connect with NBC News Online! NBC News App:
https://apps.nbcnews.com/mobile Breaking News Alerts:
https://link.nbcnews.com/join/5cj/breaking-news-signup?cid=sm_npd_nn_yt_bn-
clip_190621 Visit NBCNews.Com: http://nbcnews.to/ReadNBC Find NBC News on
Facebook: http://nbcnews.to/LikeNBC Follow NBC News on Twitter:
http://nbcnews.to/FollowNBC Follow NBC News on Instagram:
http://nbcnews.to/InstaNBC Johnson Checks Gaetz For Bringing Up Hunter
Biden's Past Substance Abuse | NBC News2019-12-12T18:09:48.000Z

Rep. Gaetz has been in the headlines over the course of the impeachment
hearings against President Trump. For example, in October, he and more than
two dozen other Republican lawmakers “stormed” a closed-door hearing to
demand entry. Gaetz was also removed from Fiona Hill’s closed-door
testimony because he was not a member of the committee that was questioning
her.

On December 12, 2019, an incident from Rep. Gaetz’s past was referenced
during the Judiciary Committee’s hearing. It came up after Gaetz discussed
Hunter Biden’s documented struggles with substance abuse. Rep. Gaetz
proposed an amendment to an impeachment article; he wanted to remove former
Vice President Joe Biden’s name from a section and replace it with Hunter
Biden’s name.

During his proposal, Rep. Gaetz alleged that Hunter Biden had not been
qualified to sit on the board of Burisma Holdings, a Ukrainian natural gas
company. Burisma is the company that President Trump is accused of
pressuring Ukraine to investigate in exchange for military aid, along with
an investigation into the Bidens.

Rep. Gaetz remarked, “I don’t want to make light of anybody’s substance
abuse issues. But it’s a little hard to believe that Burisma hired Hunter
Biden to resolve their international disputes when he could not resolve his
own dispute with Hertz rental car leaving cocaine and a crack pipe in the
car.”

After Gaetz brought up Hunter Biden’s drug issues, Democratic Rep. Hank
Johnson alluded to Rep. Gaetz’s own past struggles. In 2008, nearly a
decade before he became a congressman, Gaetz was arrested on suspicion of
DUI. Rep.Johnson said, “I would say that the pot calling the kettle black
is not something that we should do. I don’t know what members, if any, have
had any problems with substance abuse, been busted in DUI, I don’t know.
But if I did, I wouldn’t raise it against anyone on this committee. I don’t
think it’s proper.” You can watch what both congressmen above.
First Among Castrators Of Jews
2020-02-14 17:50:00 UTC
Post by RichA
Matt Gaetz DUI Arrest: What Led to His Mugshot
att Gaetz's Uncontrollable Heavy Drinking - The Story Behind His DWI Problem
You're just jealous of that bright Congressman from Texas. He is brighter your mother, father and yourself combined. Add any sister you may have...