For theists: Moral Theory
a***@gmail.com
2020-05-22 15:30:10 UTC
This question is for any theists who have put thought into moral theory. I have seen a number of theists claim that their god or gods are the basis of morality. I am curious how that works and how it is justified. Could any theists who believe that they have a coherent moral theory please answer the following three questions:

1. What is the criterion that morality is based on?
2. How does a deity fit that criterion?
3. What are the implications of this for everyone else?

A couple of possible examples to show you what I am interested in:

1. Might makes right.
2. My god is mightier than everyone else.
3. As the most powerful son-of-a-bitch in existence, my god will send you to eternal torment if you don't do what he says - and this is the basis of morality!

1. Justice is the basis of morality, everyone should get what they deserve.
2. My god is infinitely and completely just.
3. You will get heaven only if you deserve it, and nobody deserves it - it would be unjust to give humans a heaven they didn't deserve.

1. Mercy is the basis of morality.
2. My god is merciful to everyone.
3. Everyone eventually gets into heaven - though some may have to take some time in limbo first until they realize what they did was wrong and repent.

Obviously I am not trying to claim this is a complete list of possibilities - I'm more interested in what *you* specifically believe. So any theists with an interest in moral theory, here's your chance to show why it is you believe that your god or gods are the basis of morality, and what this means for humanity!
JWS
None of the above.
a***@gmail.com
2020-05-22 16:45:42 UTC
Post by JWS
None of the above.
It wasn't limited to those three options; those were examples to show what the questions meant. Do you have any answer?
SkyEyes
2020-05-22 23:17:13 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by JWS
None of the above.
It wasn't limited to those three options; those were examples to show what the questions meant. Do you have any answer?
Of course he doesn't. None of them do.

Brenda Nelson, A.A. #34
BAAWA Knight of the Golden Litterbox
Professor of Feline Thermometrics and Cat-Herding
***@cox.net
JWS
2020-05-23 00:08:59 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by JWS
None of the above.
It wasn't limited to those three options; those were examples to show what the questions meant. Do you have any answer?
That was my answer. Append to you list, please.
I want to see what you can come up with. In other
words, I want to see if you know what morality is.
michellemalkingmail.com
Do you?
JWS
Yes.
a***@gmail.com
2020-05-23 10:37:24 UTC
There is no list as of yet, as no theist has cared to share their answer here. Frankly, I doubt any of the theists in this newsgroup have an answer ... they don't strike me as theologicians or even as people who listen to theologicians; at best we get parroting or unintentional parody. Still, it was worth asking just to see what happened.

So, so far we have a theist who claims to have an answer but won't yet share it. Any theist actually wish to share their answer?
Christopher A. Lee
2020-05-23 11:37:47 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
There is no list as of yet, as no theist has cared to share their answer here.
Frankly, I doubt any of the theists in this newsgroup have an answer ... they
don't strike me as theologicians or even as people who listen to theologicians;
at best we get parroting or unintentional parody. Still, it was worth asking
just to see what happened.
They don't understand the stuff they parrot, cut'n'paste or link to,

I've always said that they should explain in their own words - that
way they would understand it well enough to address responses and
defend what they say.
That's what they all do (generalisation alert).
Kevrob
2020-05-23 12:14:38 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
There is no list as of yet, as no theist has cared to share their answer here. Frankly, I doubt any of the theists in this newsgroup have an answer ... they don't strike me as theologicians or even as people who listen to theologicians; at best we get parroting or unintentional parody. Still, it was worth asking just to see what happened.
So, so far we have a theist who claims to have an answer but won't yet share it. Any theist actually wish to share their answer?
Why ask theists in alt.atheism? There are few to no "non-troll"
believers participating here.

a***@gmail.com
2020-05-23 12:58:59 UTC
Because I was curious if any of them would try to answer, and if so what that answer would be. I've tried to have a serious conversation with them here before a few times, and each time it was ignored. You may be right - there might not be any non-trolls here, but I've been trying to lure them out when I have some rare spare time.
a***@gmail.com
2020-05-25 13:40:00 UTC
Alas, it doesn't look like any of the theists in this group actually have a moral theory - or if any of them do, they are not willing to discuss it.
Siri Cruise
2020-05-23 13:13:53 UTC
In article
Post by a***@gmail.com
There is no list as of yet, as no theist has cared to share their answer
here. Frankly, I doubt any of the theists in this newsgroup have an answer
... they don't strike me as theologicians or even as people who listen to
theologicians; at best we get parroting or unintentional parody. Still, it
was worth asking just to see what happened.
So, so far we have a theist who claims to have an answer but won't yet share
it. Any theist actually wish to share their answer?
My broker is Kent Hovind, and Kent Hovind says......
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
2020-05-24 00:58:47 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
In article
Post by a***@gmail.com
There is no list as of yet, as no theist has cared to share their answer
here. Frankly, I doubt any of the theists in this newsgroup have an answer
... they don't strike me as theologicians or even as people who listen to
theologicians; at best we get parroting or unintentional parody. Still, it
was worth asking just to see what happened.
So, so far we have a theist who claims to have an answer but won't yet share
it. Any theist actually wish to share their answer?
My broker is Kent Hovind, and Kent Hovind says......
Dear me...good luck with what you would be left with!!!!!!!
Post by Siri Cruise
--
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\