Agent users can filter out this loonie's crap...
2021-02-28 14:37:28 UTC
Some psycho is trying to cause damage by posting thousands of long,
nonsense messages via neodome.net.

Agent user can do a domain-level filter on these with...

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 08:37:28 -0600, Christopher A. Lee
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Some psycho is trying to cause damage by posting thousands of long,
nonsense messages via neodome.net.
Agent user can do a domain-level filter on these with...
...except that the message ID "s1g2tv$28g7$1" isn't static. So I just
code: Message-ID: {neodome.net}. Of course, if a valid user is using
this domain, then one would have to code an exception.

I'd rather have questions that can't be answered then answers that
can't be questioned.- Richard Feynman

Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be.- Frank Zappa
2021-02-28 17:25:54 UTC
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Some psycho is trying to cause damage by posting thousands of long,
nonsense messages via neodome.net.
Agent user can do a domain-level filter on these with...
...except that the message ID "s1g2tv$28g7$1" isn't static. So I just
code: Message-ID: {neodome.net}. Of course, if a valid user is using
this domain, then one would have to code an exception.
Sorry - senior moment, I meant to edit that bit out. What I have in
my killfile is correct.

I just did the same paste in both and forgot to edit it the second
time.

I'd never heard of neodome - is it a new site set up by loonies for
loonies since Trump-like behaviour became the norm.

The only reference to it, apart from its own web page which doesn't
give any terms of service let alone abuse information, was JLAforums
which apparently calls it a spam robot but is currently down.
Kevrob
2021-02-28 17:46:20 UTC
Post by Christopher A. Lee
[...]
Thanks, CL. I started a thread [Crapflooding] and have posted
a link to your thread there.
should i post his link and your link to my .exe
Christopher A. Lee
2021-02-28 17:58:29 UTC
Post by Christopher A. Lee
[...]
Thanks.

I emailed neodome's abuse id, but whether they give the same lame
excuses about free speech as aioe and Google, might be another matter.

If it causes Google to realise that a Johnny-come-lately spam site
causes problems for their users, they might take notice next time
people complain about spam from them.
Kevrob
2021-02-28 18:46:28 UTC
Post by Christopher A. Lee
[...]
Word of warning:

V'q or jnel bs pbzcynvavat gb Tbbtyr. Gurve hfhny
"fbyhgvba" gb nohfr pbzcynvagf er:HFRARG vf abg
svygrevat fcnz orsber vg fubjf hc ba gurve HV, ohg
engure oybpxvat nyy npprff gb gur tebhc guebhtu
Tbbtyr Tebhcf. Rira vs lbh qba'g cbfg be ernq hfvat
TT, vg oybpxf npprff gb gur nepuvir, fhpu nf vg vf.

Gurl frrz gb or svqqyvat jvgu nepuvir frnepu, ntnva.
Gur arj HV qbrfa'g cynl jryy jvgu zl oebjfre, nqoybpxre
aq genpxvat oybpxre.
2021-02-28 19:03:50 UTC
I'd be wary of complaining to Google. Their usual
"solution" to abuse complaints re:USENET is not
filtering spam before it shows up on their UI, but
rather blocking all access to the group through
Google Groups. Even if you don't post or read using
GG, it blocks access to the archive, such as it is.
They seem to be fiddling with archive search, again.
The new UI doesn't play well with my browser, adblocker
nd tracking blocker.
I've long since stopped complaining to google about Usenet abuse.
Ditto aioe and a few others.

But if google block alt.atheism, I'm sure one of the atheist support
organisations could find a civil rights group who would take up an
anti-trust lawsuit for abusing their near monolopy.
John Locke
2021-02-28 18:33:50 UTC
Post by Christopher A. Lee
[...]
...the web site states that it is accessible through VPNs...that
means, potentially, a whole lot of SPAM from anonymous loonies like
the one were filtering:

"Neodome is free open non-commercial Usenet server. It is accessible
through Tor and I2P anonymous networks and it also provides mail2news
gateway."

...the only abuse reporting info is in the headers:
mail-complaints-to="***@neodome.net"

David Canzi
2021-02-28 18:20:24 UTC
Some psycho is trying to cause damage by posting thousands of long,
nonsense messages via neodome.net.
Agent user can do a domain-level filter on these with...
The sender of a posting can set the part of the Mesage-ID after the
@-sign to whatever he wants it to be. I've created a filter for my
newsreader that ignores an article if the Injection-Info line contains
neodome.net.

The sender of this flood appears to be an old familiar nuisance. Once
people start filtering out articles posted from neodome.net, he will
probably find other servers to abuse.
--
David Canzi

Nobody is morally required to agree with you.
Christopher A. Lee
2021-02-28 18:48:05 UTC
Post by David Canzi
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Some psycho is trying to cause damage by posting thousands of long,
nonsense messages via neodome.net.
Agent user can do a domain-level filter on these with...
The sender of a posting can set the part of the Mesage-ID after the
@-sign to whatever he wants it to be. I've created a filter for my
newsreader that ignores an article if the Injection-Info line contains
neodome.net.
You use thunderbird. I use agent - which doesn't allow this as far as
I am aware.
Post by David Canzi
The sender of this flood appears to be an old familiar nuisance. Once
people start filtering out articles posted from neodome.net, he will
probably find other servers to abuse.
Can you remember whom? I'd ask Mickey who's good at this, but s/h/it
will have rendered Google groups unusable for her (boo) although on
the bright side, it's done the same for Mad Joe (hooray.
David Canzi
2021-02-28 20:18:28 UTC
Post by David Canzi
The sender of this flood appears to be an old familiar nuisance. Once
people start filtering out articles posted from neodome.net, he will
probably find other servers to abuse.
Can you remember whom? I'd ask Mickey who's good at this, but s/h/it
will have rendered Google groups unusable for her (boo) although on
the bright side, it's done the same for Mad Joe (hooray.
He's an old familiar nuisance from long ago in other newsgroups, not
alt.atheism. The source code for his abuseware was available for a
while on sourceforge, and I got a copy of it. A comment in the source
code claimed that the author is Gennady Kalmykov and other evidence
indicated that he lived in Ukraine.

One of the classic design mistakes in newsreaders is to limit the set
of header fields that can be used for filtering to a hard-coded list.
No matter how hard they try to make a complete list of all fields
that might be useful for filtering, people will inevitably need to
use some field that is not on the list.

Thunderbird starts with a hard-coded list but allows users to add
new fields to the list. In talk.origins, I have filters based on
X-NNTP-Posting-Host, which will probably never be in any
newsreader's hard-coded list.

I see two reliable ways to recognize posts in the current flood:
(1) check for "neodome.net" in Injection-Info
(2) check for "!news.neodome.net!.POSTED!" in Path

If Agent doesn't allow either of these checks, and doesn't allow
you to add more fields, you may simply be out of luck.

Christopher A. Lee
2021-02-28 23:19:15 UTC
Post by David Canzi
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by David Canzi
[...]
Forte are still selling agent, but not maintaining it any more. A date
bug appeared a few years ago, which meant that expiring filters by
date so the killfile didn't get too big, stopped working and the
entries disappeared immediately.

A power user came up with a fix which was fairly easy to port to
earlier versions, but it required a hex edit - and many antivirus
scans reported the patched version .

Which was hardly good business practice.

I was seriously disappointed in them because I'd purchased each new
version even though I didn't need all the latest bells and whistles,
because I wanted them to stay in business and fix errors.

Forte resell Usenet access from major provider, and seem to be using
this as income.

I miss the days of Unix rn (pre Linux) when I accessed the newsgroups
via a shell account, to a provider who gave direct access to the
message files until they switched to an internal client server setup
back when ethernet was much slower than it is now, and processing
killfiles that way took forever.
Andrew W
2021-02-28 23:51:55 UTC
Post by David Canzi
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by David Canzi
[...]
Not everyone knows how to set up filtering or uses a program that can do it.
This loser needs to be blocked by his service provider. Surely someone can
do something, put in a complaint to have him blocked or something.
_V_infernalis_
2021-03-01 06:46:50 UTC
Post by Andrew W
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by David Canzi
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by David Canzi
[...]
This is not random vandalism. On the contrary it's the first salvo in Donald Trump's
brilliant five dimensional chess plan to seize the power that is rightfully his.
Recognizing that atheists and skeptics are brighter and more perceptive than
the sheeple -- and thus a threat to his grand plan -- Trump realizes that he must
sow chaos and render unusable all their channels of communication and information.

Trust the plan. Stay glued to the Emergency Broadcast System 24 hours a day --
Trump will be giving you your marching orders any minute now. WWG1WGWhacko.
hhya...@gmail.com
Ya....just like Americans need to tackle the vast amount of lies from Trump idiot!!!!!!!!!
David Canzi
2021-03-02 04:45:39 UTC
Post by David Canzi
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by David Canzi
[...]
I used to use trn, which is rn with threading support. At its best,
it supported the ability to kill an article and to continue killing
all of its descendants. It was useful in some newsgroups where, at
any time in any thread, somebody could post a funny story about their
cat, and the thread thereafter would be dominated by cat stories.

At the end, this capability of trn stopped working.

I've rethought my comments regarding Gennady Kalmykov. His software
capitalized the first word of a sentence, put a punctuation mark at
the end of each sentence, and formatted the text to fit within a
reasonable line length. The software being used to flood alt.atheism
doesn't do these things. Nobody tinkering with kalmykov's software
would have any reason to want to remove these capabilities. Ergo,
this is flooding software the somebody else wrote, and Kalmykov is
not the perp.

I didn't notice the flooding from netfront until somebody commented
about it. Netfront has been in my filter for a long time.

osugeo...@aol.com
2021-03-02 06:03:28 UTC
Post by David Canzi
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by David Canzi
[...]
David-I remember when alt.revisionism was flooded with roughly similar gibberish posts, very roughly about 15-20 years ago. Other groups may have been flooded also. I remember something about it possibly having a Scientology source.

Marvin Sebourn
***@aol.com
David Canzi
2021-03-03 11:38:06 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Post by David Canzi
Post by Christopher A. Lee
Post by David Canzi
[...]
I can't see why Scientology would want to flood alt.revisionism.
But there are a lot of other people who would.

About 20 years ago somebody created a usenet abuse tool that, among
other functions, could flood a newsgroup with randomly generated text
that was grammatical or nearly grammatical. Two of the groups that
were heavily targeted were news.admin.net-abuse.usenet and
news.admin.net-abuse.email. The person who perpetrated these attacks
called himself "Hipcrime". He made his software available on source
code web sites so that other people he called "hipclones" could also
enjoy the thrill of vandalizing newsgroups.

At one point Hipcrime or a hipclone posted over 200,000 gibberish
articles overnight into one of the two news.admin groups I mentioned
above.

I got a copy of Hipcrime's abuseware once. One source file was,

IIRC, vocabulary.java. (Some people will get the joke. It had to

be explained to me.) This vocabulary file contained all the words

that would appear in the gibberish posts.

The software used recently to flood alt.atheism is not derived from
Hipcrime's software.

When I saw the recent flood from neodome, I recalled that I had seen
a similar but smaller flood earlier. It was on Feb 23rd, and articles
in that flood had a pattern of cross-posting that I recognized as the
familiar misbehaviour of one of alt.atheism's long-term morphing pests.
--
David Canzi

This e-mail has not been checked for viruses. BOO!
Dennis Marcus
2021-02-28 23:21:47 UTC
Some psycho is trying to cause damage by posting thousands of long,
nonsense messages via neodome.net.
Agent user can do a domain-level filter on these with...
You don't deserve to exist, cl