Why the Christians don't offer french fries in heaven?
2018-06-11 18:11:53 UTC
I rather have "5 guys" for a burger with delicious fries
with the skin on. McDonald's is for Christians.
Skin-on fried taters?
Now that's some good eatin'! ;-)
Persoanlly, I measure the worth of my french fries using the
"finger scale law". Sans all the scietific jargonisms, the
"finger- scale law" roughly states that: if the french fry
is bigger than my finger, well then, it's probably going to
be a very tasty french fry.
(1) Bigger is _always_ better.
(2) There is no such thing as "too much ketchup".
(3) Even if you're French, applying manonaise to a french
fry is totally gross. So don't do it!
The first and only rule to me is "skin on," then sea salt and pepper.

Why the Christians don't offer french fries in heaven?

FUN & COLORFUL
facebook.com/liboriojolgorio

THE JUNGLE
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nffbCR_uCZ6znjf3gLiFRXSAoLzhWtoZ6U4S7Y37aKc/edit?usp=sharing

#BikeForPeace #HammockForPeace
Kevrob
2018-06-11 19:36:49 UTC
Post by Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher
I rather have "5 guys" for a burger with delicious fries
with the skin on. McDonald's is for Christians.
Skin-on fried taters?
Now that's some good eatin'! ;-)
Persoanlly, I measure the worth of my french fries using the
"finger scale law". Sans all the scietific jargonisms, the
"finger- scale law" roughly states that: if the french fry
is bigger than my finger, well then, it's probably going to
be a very tasty french fry.
(1) Bigger is _always_ better.
(2) There is no such thing as "too much ketchup".
Sure, there is.

I am a convert to the UK/Ireland habit of dowsing fries (chips)
in malt vinegar, as in "an order of fish and chips."

Very tasty. I've severely cut down my ketchup consumption.
Any place I usually used to use it, I swap in a tomato slice,
except for fries/chips, which get vinegar. If no vinegar is
available, then I'll use ketchup.

I'm trying to keep my sodium intake down.
Post by Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher
(3) Even if you're French, applying manonaise to a french
fry is totally gross. So don't do it!
Except for real, made fresh mayo, I generally don't bother with
mayonaise.
Post by Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher
The first and only rule to me is "skin on," then sea salt and pepper.
If salted at all, sea salt, definitely, and from a grinder.
That's a great way to keep from oversalting.
Post by Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher
Why the Christians don't offer french fries in heaven?
One only fries in the other place? :)

Kevin R
2018-06-11 20:50:38 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher
Why the Christians don't offer french fries in heaven?
One only fries in the other place? :)
Well, the Christians who R highly addicted to McDonald's would be highly disappointed not to have french fries in heaven.

Many may even quit Christianity.
Rick Johnson
2018-06-11 21:16:11 UTC
Post by Kevrob
I am a convert to the UK/Ireland habit of dowsing fries
(chips) > in malt vinegar, as in "an order of fish and
chips."
Well, at least it's not mayonnaise! ;-)
Post by Kevrob
Very tasty. I've severely cut down my ketchup consumption.
Any place I usually used to use it, I swap in a tomato
slice, except for fries/chips, which get vinegar. If no
vinegar is available, then I'll use ketchup.
I believe vinegar is one of the largest ingredients in
ketchup. Tomato paste being the largest. And all that umami
sure makes the palette _very_ happy.
Post by Kevrob
I'm trying to keep my sodium intake down.
Yeah, it's tough to find low sodium condiments off the
shelf. If the sodium is the only issue, and your elbow is
not too squeaky these days, you could make your own.

Unfortunately we americanos consume way too much damned salt.

Personally, i like moderate to low amounts of salt. But
being that the public is so addicted to salt, most
restaurants will over-salt, and just about anything you buy
at a market is better described as a salt bomb, than actual
food.
Don Martin
2018-06-11 21:22:34 UTC
Post by Kevrob
If salted at all, sea salt, definitely, and from a grinder.
That's a great way to keep from oversalting.
I can think of no salt that is not actually sea salt: all of the
mined stuff are deposits from ancient seas.
Fidei defensor (Hon. Antipodean)
Je pense, donc je suis Charlie.
And yet sea salt has a better taste, confirmed by the chefs.
Rick Johnson
2018-06-11 23:14:26 UTC
The fish poop gives it a gamey tone.
2018-06-12 05:06:08 UTC
Awesome fries homemade, never found in heaven

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/hand-cut-french-fries-recipe-1952646
hypatiab7(hypatiab7)
It doesn't have sugar or other junk mixed in.
Christians like the junk. Free thinkers demand the best.
Kevrob
2018-06-12 15:24:19 UTC
Post by Don Martin
Post by Kevrob
If salted at all, sea salt, definitely, and from a grinder.
That's a great way to keep from oversalting.
I can think of no salt that is not actually sea salt: all of the
mined stuff are deposits from ancient seas.
And yet sea salt has a better taste, confirmed by the chefs.
It doesn't have sugar or other junk mixed in.
Christians like the junk. Free thinkers demand the best.
I am tempted to spring for an "air fryer," but I will
probably not bother with it.

Kevin R
Rick Johnson
2018-06-12 15:55:25 UTC
On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 10:24:22 AM UTC-5, Kevrob wrote:
[...]
Post by Kevrob
I am tempted to spring for an "air fryer," but I will
probably not bother with it.
I've never ventured into the air fried foods, and i'm totally
aware of how unhealthy deep fried food are, but don't expect
the favor to be the same. Deep fried french fries are tasty
because they are cooked in fat. And fat, baby, is flavor.

I always giggle when i see those ridiculous infomercials that
peddle their latest pet version of the non-stick pan. And
they always make sure to point out how you will: "no longer
need butter or oil to cook your food". Of course, what they
don't mention is how dry and tasteless the result will be.

If yer bothered by Arteriosclerosis (and we all should be),
an alternative would be to grill yer taters with a little
olive oil and some spices. And these can be exceptionally
tasty! No condiments are required. And the best part is, you
don't need, yet another, special purpose kitchen appliance.

I just loath duplicity. And i guarantee you, the kitchen
cupboards of just about any american home (or western home,
for that matter) are stuffed with dozens of dust encrusted
appliances that might have been used, oh... once, or twice
-- if at all!
Kevrob
2018-06-12 16:07:08 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
Post by Kevrob
I am tempted to spring for an "air fryer," but I will
probably not bother with it.
I've never ventured into the air fried foods, and i'm totally
aware of how unhealthy deep fried food are, but don't expect
the favor to be the same. Deep fried french fries are tasty
because they are cooked in fat. And fat, baby, is flavor.
I always giggle when i see those ridiculous infomercials that
peddle their latest pet version of the non-stick pan. And
they always make sure to point out how you will: "no longer
need butter or oil to cook your food". Of course, what they
don't mention is how dry and tasteless the result will be.
If yer bothered by Arteriosclerosis (and we all should be),
Not diagnosed yet, but I need to slim down, and I would
not be surprised if I were gigged for it at my next physical.
Post by Rick Johnson
an alternative would be to grill yer taters with a little
olive oil and some spices. And these can be exceptionally
tasty! No condiments are required. And the best part is, you
don't need, yet another, special purpose kitchen appliance.
My usual trick is to quarter potatoes and line the bottom
of a roasting pan, then sit a butterflied chicken on a rack
above the taters (sometimes I put carrots in their, too) and
roast the bird and the root veggies at the same time.
Post by Rick Johnson
I just loath duplicity. And i guarantee you, the kitchen
cupboards of just about any american home (or western home,
for that matter) are stuffed with dozens of dust encrusted
appliances that might have been used, oh... once, or twice
-- if at all!
That's why I probably won't buy the fryer, along with the
"will it really taste that good?" question. You would
probably get some crunch, which I like.

I do know how to make "oven fries," and they are OK.
Nothing like real, deep-fried spuds, though.

Kevin R
Alex W.
2018-06-13 00:19:55 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
Post by Kevrob
I am tempted to spring for an "air fryer," but I will
probably not bother with it.
I've never ventured into the air fried foods, and i'm totally
aware of how unhealthy deep fried food are, but don't expect
the favor to be the same. Deep fried french fries are tasty
because they are cooked in fat. And fat, baby, is flavor.
I've had both, and i have enjoyed both. True, fat is flavour, but there
is such a thing as too much fat. Air-fryers are good in this regard
because while the clever technology means that the food is still fried,
it is not drenched and drowned in it.

That said, it was a sad day when old chip fat was outlawed in the UK.
Time was when fish'n'chip shops used the fat in their fryers for days on
end, and it really did have a gorgeous flavour...
Post by Rick Johnson
I always giggle when i see those ridiculous infomercials that
peddle their latest pet version of the non-stick pan. And
they always make sure to point out how you will: "no longer
need butter or oil to cook your food". Of course, what they
don't mention is how dry and tasteless the result will be.
That is also a consequence of many consumers insisting on the leanest
cuts of meat.
Post by Rick Johnson
If yer bothered by Arteriosclerosis (and we all should be),
an alternative would be to grill yer taters with a little
olive oil and some spices. And these can be exceptionally
tasty! No condiments are required. And the best part is, you
don't need, yet another, special purpose kitchen appliance.
I like to do my frying with goose fat. It is rather less harmful than
lard or drippings (or butter), but imparts a very tasty flavour to the
vegetables.
Post by Rick Johnson
I just loath duplicity. And i guarantee you, the kitchen
cupboards of just about any american home (or western home,
for that matter) are stuffed with dozens of dust encrusted
appliances that might have been used, oh... once, or twice
-- if at all!
On that note, I just bought a raclette machine. My local pharmacy will
undoubtedly rejoice in all the added sales of cholesterol-reducing
statins, but I don't care. There are few things better on this planet
than the delectable gorgeousness of melted cheese....
Kevrob
2018-06-13 15:45:15 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
Post by Kevrob
I am tempted to spring for an "air fryer," but I will
probably not bother with it.
I've never ventured into the air fried foods, and i'm totally
aware of how unhealthy deep fried food are, but don't expect
the favor to be the same. Deep fried french fries are tasty
because they are cooked in fat. And fat, baby, is flavor.
I've had both, and i have enjoyed both. True, fat is flavour, but there
is such a thing as too much fat. Air-fryers are good in this regard
because while the clever technology means that the food is still fried,
it is not drenched and drowned in it.
That said, it was a sad day when old chip fat was outlawed in the UK.
Time was when fish'n'chip shops used the fat in their fryers for days on
end, and it really did have a gorgeous flavour...
How accurate would the film they made out of Roddy Doyle's "The Van"
be in that regard? Loved the books, and the flicks.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
I always giggle when i see those ridiculous infomercials that
peddle their latest pet version of the non-stick pan. And
they always make sure to point out how you will: "no longer
need butter or oil to cook your food". Of course, what they
don't mention is how dry and tasteless the result will be.
That is also a consequence of many consumers insisting on the leanest
cuts of meat.
I see people buying ground beef, at a premium, with only 10%
fat content. That's silly. Your burger will be dry as a bone,
and you might break your teeth on the thing! I get 20% fat beef
and grill it or broil it. Fat runs off, so it is still reasonably
lean. I don't like to pan fry, and have the beef swim in fat,
though I've heard chefs on cooking programs make the case that
burgers are better fried than broiled or grilled.

Just to confuse things, in restaurants, the flat cooking surface
used for frying burgers, eggs, etc. is called a "grill," as
opposed to a charcoal or gas grill with a gridiron design, or
a broiler pan with at tray with cutouts for fat to drip through.

I buy cheaper cuts and marinate them before grilling or roasting.
They usually turn out great, as far as I can tell. I do wind up
pouring a lot of grease into jars and disposing of it.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
If yer bothered by Arteriosclerosis (and we all should be),
an alternative would be to grill yer taters with a little
olive oil and some spices. And these can be exceptionally
tasty! No condiments are required. And the best part is, you
don't need, yet another, special purpose kitchen appliance.
I like to do my frying with goose fat. It is rather less harmful than
lard or drippings (or butter), but imparts a very tasty flavour to the
vegetables.
I go about 50/50 with spray canola oil and butter to taste, but
about the only thing I fry is eggs, and I more often have them
scrambled or as an omelette. My usual am feed is steel cut oats,
with eggs on the weekends, when I have the time. I make the
oatmeal ahead of time, and reheat it in the microwave.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
I just loath duplicity. And i guarantee you, the kitchen
cupboards of just about any american home (or western home,
for that matter) are stuffed with dozens of dust encrusted
appliances that might have been used, oh... once, or twice
-- if at all!
On that note, I just bought a raclette machine. My local pharmacy will
undoubtedly rejoice in all the added sales of cholesterol-reducing
statins, but I don't care. There are few things better on this planet
than the delectable gorgeousness of melted cheese....
I have an electric table-top grill (gridiron design with a drip
pan.) I could slap a cookie sheet on top of that and melt cheese,
and I also have the use of a toaster oven.

My concession to low-fat eating regarding cheese is to make my
own pizza. I bought a pizza stone, and after getting dough at
the store, sauce it and add the toppings myself. I can limit the
cheese to a reasonable amount, and add as much fresh veg to it
as I please. They aren't equal to the best pizzeria pizza, but
I'd stand them up against the middle of the pack, and they beat
Domino's or Pizza Hut all hollow. No waiting for the delivery
guy, either! And, if I want anchovies, I have anchovies. (I rinse
them to lower the salt level, though.)

Kevin R
Rick Johnson
2018-06-13 16:58:36 UTC
On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 10:45:18 AM UTC-5, Kevrob wrote:
[...]
Post by Kevrob
And, if I want anchovies, I have anchovies. (I rinse
them to lower the salt level, though.)
Anchovies???

YUCK!

Kevrob
2018-06-13 17:59:28 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
Post by Kevrob
And, if I want anchovies, I have anchovies. (I rinse
them to lower the salt level, though.)
Anchovies???
YUCK!
I feel the same way about onions. De gustibus...

Kevin R
Alex W.
2018-06-14 00:39:07 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
Post by Kevrob
And, if I want anchovies, I have anchovies. (I rinse
them to lower the salt level, though.)
Anchovies???
YUCK!
Your reaction betrays the fact that you, sir, are an ignorant peasant!

Anchovies are a noble fish!
If there were a god, anchovies would be evidence that he loves us!
Anchovies add a punch of salty umami yummiliciousness to many dishes!
A pizza without anchovies is only half the pizza it could be!
Try to imagine a pasta alla puttanesca without anchovies -- a sad
travesty of a great dish!
Rick Johnson
2018-06-14 18:48:26 UTC
It's an "acquired taste", then, i surmise? ;-)
Alex W.
2018-06-15 00:42:28 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
Post by Alex W.
Your reaction betrays the fact that you, sir, are an ignorant peasant!
It's an "acquired taste", then, i surmise? ;-)
Hey, so are beer and bourbon -- both proof that imaginary gods love us
and want us to be happy!
Atheist ------------------------------
2018-06-13 18:29:33 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
jeez, is this what your life has come to? Sad.
--
There is no verifiable evidence of any god(s). None whatsoever.
Extortion (Believe or Burn) is *THE* foundation of Christianity.
Sycophant: a compulsive ass-kisser of un-evidenced dictator god.
Kevrob
2018-06-13 18:48:42 UTC
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
.... No waiting for the delivery
guy, either! And, if I want anchovies, I have anchovies. (I rinse
them to lower the salt level, though.)
jeez, is this what your life has come to? Sad.
I generally enjoy my life. Since I don't believe in an afterlife,
I intend to stay as healthy as I can for as long as I can.

You, troll that you are, can cross streets without looking
both ways, for all I care.

Kevin R
Rick Johnson
2018-06-13 18:56:01 UTC
[...]

Is that ol' "not-not" with the "!!" removed?

If so, i wish he'd/she'd lose the hrule, as well.
Alex W.
2018-06-14 00:55:25 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
Post by Kevrob
[...]
Probably very accurate.

Chip fat or oil, when constantly heated for around 72 hours, actually
changes its molecular structure. It delivers utterly superior results.
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
I always giggle when i see those ridiculous infomercials that
peddle their latest pet version of the non-stick pan. And
they always make sure to point out how you will: "no longer
need butter or oil to cook your food". Of course, what they
don't mention is how dry and tasteless the result will be.
That is also a consequence of many consumers insisting on the leanest
cuts of meat.
I see people buying ground beef, at a premium, with only 10%
fat content. That's silly. Your burger will be dry as a bone,
and you might break your teeth on the thing! I get 20% fat beef
and grill it or broil it. Fat runs off, so it is still reasonably
lean. I don't like to pan fry, and have the beef swim in fat,
though I've heard chefs on cooking programs make the case that
burgers are better fried than broiled or grilled.
To make matters worse, food safety authorities around the world are in a
bit of a panic about the risk of E Coli and other bugs causing illness
in what they deem to be "under-cooked" burgers. They recommend that all
burger patties are cooked right through until no pink is visible and
juices run clear. Of course, this makes already lean beef even tougher.
Post by Kevrob
Just to confuse things, in restaurants, the flat cooking surface
used for frying burgers, eggs, etc. is called a "grill," as
opposed to a charcoal or gas grill with a gridiron design, or
a broiler pan with at tray with cutouts for fat to drip through.
I can see why they do this: the flat surface makes it easier for un- or
semi-trained cooks to flip large numbers of pre-made patties without
breaking them.
Post by Kevrob
I buy cheaper cuts and marinate them before grilling or roasting.
They usually turn out great, as far as I can tell. I do wind up
pouring a lot of grease into jars and disposing of it.
Is that grease, or runoff from the marinade?
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
I just loath duplicity. And i guarantee you, the kitchen
cupboards of just about any american home (or western home,
for that matter) are stuffed with dozens of dust encrusted
appliances that might have been used, oh... once, or twice
-- if at all!
On that note, I just bought a raclette machine. My local pharmacy will
undoubtedly rejoice in all the added sales of cholesterol-reducing
statins, but I don't care. There are few things better on this planet
than the delectable gorgeousness of melted cheese....
I have an electric table-top grill (gridiron design with a drip
pan.) I could slap a cookie sheet on top of that and melt cheese,
and I also have the use of a toaster oven.
I own one of the George Foreman grills, and it does work very well for
reducing the fat in the end product.
Post by Kevrob
My concession to low-fat eating regarding cheese is to make my
own pizza. I bought a pizza stone, and after getting dough at
the store, sauce it and add the toppings myself. I can limit the
cheese to a reasonable amount, and add as much fresh veg to it
as I please. They aren't equal to the best pizzeria pizza, but
I'd stand them up against the middle of the pack, and they beat
Domino's or Pizza Hut all hollow. No waiting for the delivery
guy, either! And, if I want anchovies, I have anchovies. (I rinse
them to lower the salt level, though.)
Why do you buy the dough? We actually make it ourselves -- it takes
only 15-20 minutes. Usually, we make a batch large enough for three to
four meals, portion them, and freeze what we don't use that evening.
The flavour and texture really is quite superior. Although I must
admit, we have not yet progressed to the level of Italian mastery where
a pizza dough spends most of its time being tossed in the air....

Another trick is to make white pizzas. Leaving out the tomato also
reduces the use of cheese, I have found. A few slices of mozzarella or
goat's cheese is all it takes, as opposed to the usual handfuls of mixed
cheese....

Rick Johnson
2018-06-14 19:32:51 UTC
[...]
Post by Alex W.
Another trick is to make white pizzas. Leaving out the
tomato also reduces the use of cheese, I have found. A
few slices of mozzarella or goat's cheese is all it takes,
as opposed to the usual handfuls of mixed cheese....
Jesus delivers
Yeah.

But last time i ordered from that joint it took 40 days and
40 nights to arrive. Of course, had i known my pizza would
be delivered on _camelback_ by three weird dudes who were
obviously free-ballin' under some white sheets, well, i
would have never ordered from that joint in the first damned
place!

Of course, they gave me the typical "we got lost in the
desert chasing after a star and had to make a stop to
witness the birth of the king of sheep, blah-blah-blah", or
some BS like that. But i didn't buy it. Neither did i leave
a tip.

Next time, i'll give Satan's Pizza a try. Plus, i hear they
don't charge for extra cheese. As a matter of fact! They
give you a 10% discount.
%
don't eat that stuff
Rick Johnson

I didn't order anchovies...
%
2018-06-14 20:02:48 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
Post by %
Post by Rick Johnson
Next time, i'll give Satan's Pizza a try. Plus, i hear they
don't charge for extra cheese. As a matter of fact! They
give you a 10% discount.
don't eat that stuff
Why not?
I didn't order anchovies...
it would've been better if you did ,
then i could see eating it
Kevrob
2018-06-14 02:40:12 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alex W.
[...]
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
I've read the solution is to grind your own chuck or sirloin.
My mother would occasionally do that, especially the year we
got a large freezer and she and some friends bought a side of beef
from a butcher, all separated and wrapped and divvied it up. She
cooked for 11, and this was during the inflation of the 1970s.
We looked for any way to stretch the shrinking dollar. If you keep
a clean kitchen and clean the meat grinder well e coli shouldn't be a
problem.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Kevrob
Just to confuse things, in restaurants, the flat cooking surface
used for frying burgers, eggs, etc. is called a "grill," as
opposed to a charcoal or gas grill with a gridiron design, or
a broiler pan with at tray with cutouts for fat to drip through.
I can see why they do this: the flat surface makes it easier for un- or
semi-trained cooks to flip large numbers of pre-made patties without
breaking them.
I resemble that remark. Working the flat grill at McDonalds was
easier than the mock-charcoal rig at Hardee's: a gas grill with
faux charcoal briquettes made of some kind of stone or ceramic
with gridiron panels set above the "rocks." It was frozen beef,
and sometimes, if you didn't scrape the grill well between sets
of patties, burgers would stick.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Kevrob
I buy cheaper cuts and marinate them before grilling or roasting.
They usually turn out great, as far as I can tell. I do wind up
pouring a lot of grease into jars and disposing of it.
Is that grease, or runoff from the marinade?
As I learned watching "Julie & Julia," always pat your
meat dry! Imagine some of the runoff is marinade but I try
not to use too much. I find some, in a plastic bag of the
"zip-lock" style with most of the air squeezed out, beats
a huge bowl of the stuff with the meat drowning in it.

[snip]
Post by Alex W.
Post by Kevrob
[...]
I just haven't tried that yet. One of the local supermarkets
leased space to a revived pizzeria, which uses "an old family recipe."
The older generation closed up shop and retired some years ago.
First I bought their uncooked, unfrozen pies, and cooked them
at home. Then I bought their dough and sauce and took a stab at
making a pie with OK results. I've found less expensive dough and
sauce, but I could learn to make those myself.
Post by Alex W.
Another trick is to make white pizzas. Leaving out the tomato also
reduces the use of cheese, I have found. A few slices of mozzarella or
goat's cheese is all it takes, as opposed to the usual handfuls of mixed
cheese....
I live near New haven, CT, home of Pepe's and the White Clam Pizza.
I've had some awesome white pies.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/how-to-make-frank-pepe-s-famous-white-clam-pizza-20151007/

No mozz at all! I grew up on the Great South Bay and love clams.

I grew up on New York style thin-crust and when I lived in the
Midwest had my share of Chicago-style deep dish whatever-it-is
that they call pizza. (It tastes good, but it is sui generis.)
The argument BITD was Pizzeria Uno or Lou Malnati's? I am on
a continual quest to get dough to stretch to the proper thinness
without resorting to rolling, which squeezes the CO2 out of the
dough, and you want those bubbles to char, especially on the edge
or lip of a pizza: il cornicione. And yes, I let my uncooked pie rest
on a scattering of cornmeal so the bottom of the crust crisps without
sticking to the stone. Making my own dough is just a matter of time.

Kevin R
(Without any Italian heritage at all....)
2018-06-14 02:57:30 UTC
His second coming is long overdue.
Wakalukong
The pizza went cold.
Rick Johnson
2018-06-14 19:52:45 UTC
Post by Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher
[HEY-SEUSS'S] second coming is long overdue.
The pizza went cold.
It sure did. But lucky for us, pizza is one of very few
foods which is as equally tasty cold as it is hot.

"Devil's Food" perhaps?

As a kid, my favorite breakfast was a couple of cold slices
fresh-from-the-fridge (last night's left overs) washed down
with a big glass of delicious vitamin D milk and a handful
of cookies for good measure. And except for the enticing
aroma of fatty bacon frying in a cast iron skillet, nothing
could get me out of bed faster on a monday morning than
thoughts of cold pizza.

Now that's a hearty breakfast!

And while certainly not a "health food", it was much better
than the typical bowl of Frosted Flakes or Capt'n Crunch.

And we wonder why americanos are so fucked up.

o_O

LOOK AT THE _DIET_!
%
who wonders why americans are like that
Alex W.
2018-06-15 00:44:48 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
As a kid, my favorite breakfast was a couple of cold slices
fresh-from-the-fridge (last night's left overs) washed down
with a big glass of delicious vitamin D milk and a handful
of cookies for good measure. And except for the enticing
aroma of fatty bacon frying in a cast iron skillet, nothing
could get me out of bed faster on a monday morning than
thoughts of cold pizza.
Cold pizza is dis-gus-ting!

Cold pasta, on the other hand....
Post by Rick Johnson
Now that's a hearty breakfast!
And while certainly not a "health food", it was much better
than the typical bowl of Frosted Flakes or Capt'n Crunch.
The only proper way to enjoy breakfast cereal is to drown it in a point
of beer.
What can you expect from a nation that invented cheese in a spray can?
Rick Johnson
2018-06-15 02:14:47 UTC
On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 7:44:53 PM UTC-5, Alex W. wrote:
[...]
Post by Alex W.
Cold pizza is dis-gus-ting!
Cold pasta, on the other hand....
Oh no-no-no.

I've had just about enough of this abuse...

It's time to cancel the honeymoon suite!
Post by Alex W.
What can you expect from a nation that invented
cheese in a spray can?
What???

That was the pinnacle of modern civilization!

Heck, I'd bet if there was some Limburger in a spray can you'd squirt it all over that cold pasta of yours.

;-)
Alex W.
2018-06-15 06:39:52 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
Post by Alex W.
What can you expect from a nation that invented
cheese in a spray can?
What???
That was the pinnacle of modern civilization!
Then you really don't have far to fall....
Post by Rick Johnson
Heck, I'd bet if there was some Limburger in a spray can you'd squirt it all over that cold pasta of yours.
;-)
Given that the pasta will come pre-coated in cold four-cheese sauce,
Limburger is not required.

Anyway ... Limburger? Stinky Bishop is well superior! As everyone
knows, God is an Englishman, therefore English cheeses are next to
godliness!
Rick Johnson
2018-06-16 00:30:56 UTC
As everyone knows, God is an Englishman, therefore English
cheeses are next to godliness!
You know, you right.

In fact...

"yuh blutie well rhite"!
Kevrob
2018-06-16 01:16:25 UTC
As everyone knows, God is an Englishman,
Yahooey being, according to the manual, a bloodthirsty
tyrant who encouraged his chosen people to steal their
neighbor's lands and either kill or enslave said neighbors,
that sounds about right! It's traditional behavior for
the Angles, et al, all the way back to when Hengist & Horsa
double-crossed Vortigern.

Of course, everybody around the world has done the same, unless
they were actually the first to occupy terra nullius.

Even the Irish!
therefore English cheeses are next to godliness!
You don't want them too clean, or they won't age properly!

Kevin R
Alex W.
2018-06-16 02:11:36 UTC
Post by Kevrob
As everyone knows, God is an Englishman,
Yahooey being, according to the manual, a bloodthirsty
tyrant who encouraged his chosen people to steal their
neighbor's lands and either kill or enslave said neighbors,
that sounds about right! It's traditional behavior for
the Angles, et al, all the way back to when Hengist & Horsa
double-crossed Vortigern.
... and who then morphed into an alleged all-loving utterly benevolent
entity, again in parallel with the modern descendants of the British
Empire.

It all fits.
Post by Kevrob
Of course, everybody around the world has done the same, unless
they were actually the first to occupy terra nullius.
Even the Irish!
The Celtic tribes of the British isles do have claim to being the first
to occupy the then empty islands. Everybody who came after was an
invader.
Post by Kevrob
therefore English cheeses are next to godliness!
You don't want them too clean, or they won't age properly!
True!

Have you ever heard of Casu Marzu? That's a Sardinian delicacy:
pecorino cheese that has been infected by cheese flies and is riddled
with live larvae. Once you get over the yeucch factor, it is seriously
tasty stuff....
Rick Johnson
2018-06-16 03:06:55 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Kevrob
As everyone knows, God is an Englishman,
Yahooey being, according to the manual, a bloodthirsty
tyrant who encouraged his chosen people to steal their
neighbor's lands and either kill or enslave said
neighbors, that sounds about right! It's traditional
behavior for the Angles, et al, all the way back to when
Hengist & Horsa double-crossed Vortigern.
... and who then morphed into an alleged all-loving utterly
benevolent entity, again in parallel with the modern
descendants of the British Empire. It all fits.
So, if god is an Englishman, and America is the "only begotten
son", who then, shall we name as the wholly (or hole-ly)
spirit? ;-)
Kevrob
2018-06-16 04:08:35 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
So, if god is an Englishman, and America is the "only begotten
son", who then, shall we name as the wholly (or hole-ly)
spirit? ;-)
Uisce beatha.

Kevin R
Alex W.
2018-06-17 02:03:40 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Rick Johnson
So, if god is an Englishman, and America is the "only begotten
son", who then, shall we name as the wholly (or hole-ly)
spirit? ;-)
Uisce beatha.
Works for me!

Although it might require some serious theological research to plumb the
mystery that is the ineffable trinity of uisge beatha: Scottish, Irish
and American.

Slainte to that....
Alex W.
2018-06-17 02:04:38 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
Post by Alex W.
Post by Kevrob
As everyone knows, God is an Englishman,
Yahooey being, according to the manual, a bloodthirsty
tyrant who encouraged his chosen people to steal their
neighbor's lands and either kill or enslave said
neighbors, that sounds about right! It's traditional
behavior for the Angles, et al, all the way back to when
Hengist & Horsa double-crossed Vortigern.
... and who then morphed into an alleged all-loving utterly
benevolent entity, again in parallel with the modern
descendants of the British Empire. It all fits.
So, if god is an Englishman, and America is the "only begotten
son", who then, shall we name as the wholly (or hole-ly)
spirit? ;-)
God the Englishman is a fertile bugger, fathering many children and
loving them all equally. America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand....
No, no, the American children say they R uniquely loved by god. This is the land of god. And all the other children R jealous.
Gronk
2018-06-25 05:14:30 UTC
Who wants fries with out ketchup?
Don Martin
2018-06-17 19:20:39 UTC
Post by Kevrob
As everyone knows, God is an Englishman,
Yahooey being, according to the manual, a bloodthirsty
tyrant who encouraged his chosen people to steal their
neighbor's lands and either kill or enslave said neighbors,
that sounds about right! It's traditional behavior for
the Angles, et al, all the way back to when Hengist & Horsa
double-crossed Vortigern.
Of course, everybody around the world has done the same, unless
they were actually the first to occupy terra nullius.
Even the Irish!
therefore English cheeses are next to godliness!
You don't want them too clean, or they won't age properly!
Kevin R
The same might be said for lovers.
Never mind "proof;" where's your evidence?
Alex W.
2018-06-15 00:08:55 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Kevrob
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alex W.
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
My brother-in-law buys half a cow at a time, and keeps it in the
butcher's aging room. This not only keeps down the cost but delivers a
superior meat.

I go to the same butcher, and have him mince the piece of meat for me
that I have selected. It's not that I do not trust the bloke -- he is
very good indeed -- but that way, I get exactly what I want, and it is
fresh indeed.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Kevrob
Just to confuse things, in restaurants, the flat cooking surface
used for frying burgers, eggs, etc. is called a "grill," as
opposed to a charcoal or gas grill with a gridiron design, or a
broiler pan with at tray with cutouts for fat to drip through.
I can see why they do this: the flat surface makes it easier for
un- or semi-trained cooks to flip large numbers of pre-made patties
without breaking them.
I resemble that remark. Working the flat grill at McDonalds was
easier than the mock-charcoal rig at Hardee's: a gas grill with faux
charcoal briquettes made of some kind of stone or ceramic with
gridiron panels set above the "rocks." It was frozen beef, and
sometimes, if you didn't scrape the grill well between sets of
patties, burgers would stick.
Let me guess: the job of cleaning that fake grill always went to the
employee who managed to piss off the manager....

With these sorts of practices, it is not hard to see why upmarket burger
joints have really taken off. It seems that I am far from the only one
who is willing to pay extra for high-quality fresh ingredients prepared
properly...
Post by Alex W.
Post by Kevrob
I buy cheaper cuts and marinate them before grilling or
roasting. They usually turn out great, as far as I can tell. I
do wind up pouring a lot of grease into jars and disposing of
it.
Is that grease, or runoff from the marinade?
As I learned watching "Julie & Julia," always pat your meat dry!
Imagine some of the runoff is marinade but I try not to use too much.
I find some, in a plastic bag of the "zip-lock" style with most of
the air squeezed out, beats a huge bowl of the stuff with the meat
drowning in it.
Good meat does not need lots of sauce. It should be allowed to shine on
its own merits. That's why I prefer dry rubs when I do anything to it
at all.
[snip]
Post by Alex W.
Post by Kevrob
[...]
Maybe I am a cynical old fart, but whenever I see advertisements and
slogans on the line of "old family recipe", I start running the other
way. All too often, it is just an advertising trick to evoke nostalgic
memories of the "good old days".

These days, I make more and more stuff myself. The cost saving is a
side benefit (I can run up a few pints of ketchup or basic tomato sauce
at a fraction of the cost of store-bought product): the main benefit is
the satisfaction of having actually *made* something, and something that
in many cases is far tastier to boot. Even sauces that I do buy int he
shops get an upgrade -- it's amazing what a few leaves of fresh basil, a
few chopped olives and other fresh ingredients can do to a jar of past
sauce.
Post by Alex W.
Another trick is to make white pizzas. Leaving out the tomato
also reduces the use of cheese, I have found. A few slices of
mozzarella or goat's cheese is all it takes, as opposed to the
usual handfuls of mixed cheese....
I live near New haven, CT, home of Pepe's and the White Clam Pizza.
I've had some awesome white pies.
https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/how-to-make-frank-pepe-s-famous-white-clam-pizza-20151007/
No mozz at all! I grew up on the Great South Bay and love clams.
Clams, mussels, oysters ... all good!

Let's forget that pizza and have a clam chowder cook-off!
I grew up on New York style thin-crust and when I lived in the
Midwest had my share of Chicago-style deep dish whatever-it-is that
they call pizza. (It tastes good, but it is sui generis.)
Sui generis is a good point. Pizza may have started life in Naples
(Italy, not FL) but these days it is truly international, and all
variants are as genuine and valid in themselves as any others. Chop
Suey is no less Chinese food because it was invented in the US, nor is
chicken tikka masala any less an Indian curry just because it hails from
the UK.

The
argument BITD was Pizzeria Uno or Lou Malnati's? I am on a continual
quest to get dough to stretch to the proper thinness without
resorting to rolling, which squeezes the CO2 out of the dough, and
you want those bubbles to char, especially on the edge or lip of a
pizza: il cornicione. And yes, I let my uncooked pie rest on a
scattering of cornmeal so the bottom of the crust crisps without
sticking to the stone. Making my own dough is just a matter of time.
Charred edges are nice, but not universal. Maltese pizza, for example,
is made with sourdough and either does not have a cornicione at all, or
has it stuffed with cheese.

Pizza stones are tricky ... I was looking for one, and could not find
anything that would really work. So now we have decided to invest in a
proper pizza oven (gas-rather than wood-fired) where we can also make
all manner of other oven-made delicacies such as flammenkuchen
(Alsatian) and naan bread.
Kevin R (Without any Italian heritage at all....)
Me neither ... go figure, paesan!
Rick Johnson
2018-06-14 19:13:09 UTC
On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:55:31 PM UTC-5, Alex W. wrote:
[...]
Post by Alex W.
Another trick is to make white pizzas. Leaving out the
tomato also reduces the use of cheese, I have found.
"Leaving out the tomato"???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

"also reduces the use of cheese"???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

What are you man??? щ(゚Д゚щ)

Some sort of masochist! (屮゚Д゚)屮

And, if you would be so kind, please remind me, who was it
that was talking about "umami yummiliciousness" eariler?

The FSM will be so disappointed to hear this.
Alex W.
2018-06-15 00:46:46 UTC
Post by Rick Johnson
[...]
Post by Alex W.
Another trick is to make white pizzas. Leaving out the
tomato also reduces the use of cheese, I have found.
"Leaving out the tomato"???
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
"also reduces the use of cheese"???
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
What are you man??? щ(゚Д゚щ)
Some sort of masochist! (屮゚Д゚)屮
And, if you would be so kind, please remind me, who was it
that was talking about "umami yummiliciousness" eariler?
The FSM will be so disappointed to hear this.
The FSM, being all-knowing and all-seeing, will smile upon me with
benign benevolence because it knows that white pizza is impeccably
traditional in the Holy Land of pizza, Italy.
Rick Johnson
2018-06-15 02:18:08 UTC
On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 7:46:52 PM UTC-5, Alex W. wrote:
[...]
We'll see about that! >:(
duke
2018-06-12 17:35:13 UTC
Post by Kevrob
[...]
No wonder your brain is rotting.

the dukester, American-American

*****
The Purpose of the NT Word of God is not to inform as it did in
the OT,but instead to form us in the very image of Jesus Christ.
*****
Kevrob
2018-06-13 14:56:40 UTC
Post by duke
Post by Kevrob
I'm trying to keep my sodium intake down.
No wonder your brain is rotting.
I've seen pictures of you Earl. Your doctor thinks you are
at your perfect weight, and don't need to cut down on salt?

That'd be almost as unbelievable as your religion.

Kevin R
duke
2018-06-13 22:33:55 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by duke
Post by Kevrob
I'm trying to keep my sodium intake down.
No wonder your brain is rotting.
I've seen pictures of you Earl. Your doctor thinks you are
at your perfect weight, and don't need to cut down on salt?
I don't use a lot of salt.
Post by Kevrob
That'd be almost as unbelievable as your religion.
That your eternal fires you're talking about there.

*****
Amazing Answers
because heaven fries are better than French fries.
John Locke
...because all the hot oil was sent to hell to boil Christians !
Alex W.
"I'll have the whale steak with a side order of fried Catholics, please"
John Locke
2018-06-13 20:01:45 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
..if Earl filet is on the menu remind me to avoid that part of hell !
Just a plate of holy wafers and Cheez Whiz thank you.
Don Martin
2018-06-27 11:27:49 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
They are more tangy than poached protestants.
Smiler
2018-06-28 01:36:08 UTC
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
I prefer piquant pepper poached protestants...with peas.
--
Smiler, The godless one. a.a.# 2279
All gods are tailored to order. They're made

---
Bob
2018-06-28 01:37:39 UTC
I prefer .....
How much longer before you admit you were lying about all my beliefs
being false, since you are unable to prove it's true?

Squirm a little bit more for me.

I like watching you squirm like a worm, you yellow coward.

<smirk>
--
You're welcome,
-Stu D. Baker, Esq.
Don Martin
2018-06-28 22:41:10 UTC
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
The peas probably parboiled to paste.
Smiler
2018-06-29 02:22:33 UTC
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
Peas pudding, properly produced, is perfection.

Olrik
2018-06-29 04:25:55 UTC
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
You're a strange person.
--
Olrik
aa #1981
EAC Chief Food Inspector, Bacon Division
Alex W.
2018-06-29 07:43:22 UTC
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
But in this case, he's spot on.

Served with ham hock, it's glorious.
Don Martin
2018-06-30 01:48:40 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
Ah! Over here we call that pea soup. One's spoon stands up in it and
it is delicious.
Alex W.
2018-06-30 03:26:04 UTC
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
I gather they also appreciate it up in Canada; it goes by the name of
"Jiggs Dinner".

Your Flemish GF might know it as well, it is quite popular in the North
of Germany and the Dutch-speaking areas.
Olrik
2018-06-30 04:21:32 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
Québec's "soupe aux pois" is served in some Canadian parts as "French
pea-soup".

I checked that "Jiggs Dinner" thing, and it's just a Maritimes (Atlantic
provinces) meal.

It does have "Pease pudding", though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pease_pudding
Post by Alex W.
Your Flemish GF might know it as well, it is quite popular in the North
of Germany and the Dutch-speaking areas.
Ah yes, two other famously world-renowned food nations!

(Montréal has hundreds of ethnic restaurants, from Afghan to Tibetan,
but none from Germany (Alsace and Switzerland do not count) nor from the
Netherlands!)

But we do have fish'n chips places everywhere.
Alex W.
2018-07-01 00:52:24 UTC
Post by Olrik
Post by Alex W.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
Given that peas are a very common winter vegetable, easily dried and
easily rehydrated, that does not come as a surprise.
Post by Alex W.
Your Flemish GF might know it as well, it is quite popular in the
North of Germany and the Dutch-speaking areas.
Ah yes, two other famously world-renowned food nations!
(Montréal has hundreds of ethnic restaurants, from Afghan to Tibetan,
but none from Germany (Alsace and Switzerland do not count) nor from the
Netherlands!)
But we do have fish'n chips places everywhere.
When I was in Amsterdam last year, I asked a couple of locals for some
recommendations where to eat the best Dutch cuisine. They laughed and
told me that apart from herring and pea sup, there is no such thing, and
if I wanted good food I should try Indonesian....

Germany does have an interesting and varied cuisine, but it suffers from
the same image handicap as English cooking. It is seen as peasant food,
as not refined enough, as too boring and simple compared with Italian or
French cooking. Which is rot, of course, but it does make life
difficult for dedicated foodies like me...
Kevrob
2018-07-01 01:23:51 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Germany does have an interesting and varied cuisine, but it suffers from
the same image handicap as English cooking. It is seen as peasant food,
as not refined enough, as too boring and simple compared with Italian or
French cooking. Which is rot, of course, but it does make life
difficult for dedicated foodies like me...
I like a nice plate of sauerbraten or schnitzel, myself, but I lived
in Wisconsin for a couple of decades, and the Chermun immigrant
culture kept some of the traditional food culture alive, beyond
bratwurst and brewing.

Karl Ratzsch's restaurant is gone, alas.

Spanfarkel at German Fest always was wunderbar!

Kevin R
Alex W.
2018-07-01 01:42:32 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alex W.
Germany does have an interesting and varied cuisine, but it suffers from
the same image handicap as English cooking. It is seen as peasant food,
as not refined enough, as too boring and simple compared with Italian or
French cooking. Which is rot, of course, but it does make life
difficult for dedicated foodies like me...
I like a nice plate of sauerbraten or schnitzel, myself, but I lived
in Wisconsin for a couple of decades, and the Chermun immigrant
culture kept some of the traditional food culture alive, beyond
bratwurst and brewing.
I will go well out of my way for a good sauerbraten, but it's hard to
find these days...
Post by Kevrob
Karl Ratzsch's restaurant is gone, alas.
Spanfarkel at German Fest always was wunderbar!
In a dark beer sauce, with spatzle or a potato dumpling ... wunderbar
indeed!
Don Martin
2018-07-01 17:17:58 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Alex W.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
[...]
Today I am making Bavarian Pork Roast
from Klas Kitchen. Yes,
peasant food, but the peasants ate well! And yes, with dark beer
sauce and Kartolfeln dumplings (though not as pretty as this guy's).
Since I am starting with a 6-pound shoulder, there will be plenty left
for the 4th of July (accompanied by corn on the cob).
Alex W.
2018-07-01 23:16:27 UTC
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Alex W.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Your Flemish GF might know it as well, it is quite popular in the
North of Germany and the Dutch-speaking areas.
Ah yes, two other famously world-renowned food nations!
(Montréal has hundreds of ethnic restaurants, from Afghan to Tibetan,
but none from Germany (Alsace and Switzerland do not count) nor from the
Netherlands!)
But we do have fish'n chips places everywhere.
When I was in Amsterdam last year, I asked a couple of locals for some
recommendations where to eat the best Dutch cuisine. They laughed and
told me that apart from herring and pea soup, there is no such thing, and
http://youtu.be/KZoxizWozCg from Klas Kitchen. Yes,
peasant food, but the peasants ate well! And yes, with dark beer
sauce and Kartolfeln dumplings (though not as pretty as this guy's).
Since I am starting with a 6-pound shoulder, there will be plenty left
for the 4th of July (accompanied by corn on the cob).
Nice recipe! Forwarded to my SO for her consideration...

Some people dislike the heavy use of caraway seed; I love it.

Leftovers might be usefully recycled into pulled pork burgers....
Don Martin
2018-07-02 22:34:48 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Alex W.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:11:53 -0700 (PDT), "Wise
TibetanMonkey, Most
On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 2:00:57 PM UTC-4, Rick Johnson
Post by Alex W.
[...]
My supper tonight was pork salad with cucumber, red onion, tomato, and
lettuce, dressed with homemade honey mustard. This was perfect on a
day when the outside temperature was 100 F.
Alex W.
2018-07-03 03:57:37 UTC
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Alex W.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
[...]
Swap the red onion for an onion marmalade, and you have yourself a guest
for lunch....

:-)
Don Martin
2018-07-04 00:52:15 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Alex W.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
[...]
I cannot remember ever seeing onion marmalade on offer here. Perhaps
Amazon.com has it . . . .
. . . .it does! On order.
Alex W.
2018-07-04 02:03:46 UTC
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Alex W.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
[...]
Well done!

My fridge is never without a jar of the stuff. It works with ham, is
delicious with cheddar, and even has a place on a burger.
Kevrob
2018-07-04 02:37:15 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Alex W.
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
[...]
Pity it has onion in it. :)

Kevin R
Smiler
2018-07-05 00:48:42 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Alex W.
On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 17:43:22 +1000, "Alex W."
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 01:36:08 +0000 (UTC), Smiler
Post by Smiler
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 10:20:56 +1000, "Alex W."
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:11:53 -0700 (PDT), "Wise
TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher"
On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 2:00:57 PM UTC-4, Rick
I rather have "5 guys" for a burger with delicious
fries with the skin on. McDonald's is for
Christians.
Skin-on fried taters?
Now that's some good eatin'! ;-)
Persoanlly, I measure the worth of my french fries
using the "finger scale law". Sans all the
scietific jargonisms, the "finger- scale law"
roughly states that: if the french fry is bigger
than my finger, well then, it's probably going to
be a very tasty french fry.
Actually, there are 3 laws when it comes to french
Post by Alex W.
Your Flemish GF might know it as well, it is quite popular in
the North of Germany and the Dutch-speaking areas.
Ah yes, two other famously world-renowned food nations!
(Montréal has hundreds of ethnic restaurants, from Afghan to
Tibetan, but none from Germany (Alsace and Switzerland do not
count) nor from the Netherlands!)
But we do have fish'n chips places everywhere.
When I was in Amsterdam last year, I asked a couple of locals
for some recommendations where to eat the best Dutch cuisine.
They laughed and told me that apart from herring and pea soup,
[...]
Seconded.

Olrik
2018-06-30 04:09:34 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Post by Olrik
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
I can see now where all the veneration of English cuisine comes from!
Don Martin
2018-06-30 01:48:40 UTC
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
Possibly, to passionate paste perverts. But since people are now
adding carrot slurry to cement to strengthen it, anything from the
vegetable world is possible.
Smiler
2018-07-01 01:06:13 UTC
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
Can the cement also see in the dark?
Do the local rabbits get stoned on it?

Don Martin
2018-07-01 17:17:58 UTC
Post by Smiler
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
How else can you account for the bunny lawn ornaments one sees?
Olrik
2018-06-29 04:22:24 UTC
Post by Don Martin
Post by Smiler
Post by Don Martin
Post by Alex W.
Post by John Locke
[...]
And drowned in mint sauce...
Don Martin
Alex W.

The only permissible use for this tasty accompaniment is with a leg of lamb.
duke
2018-06-27 13:06:04 UTC
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:11:53 -0700 (PDT), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble
Post by Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher
I rather have "5 guys" for a burger with delicious fries
with the skin on. McDonald's is for Christians.
Skin-on fried taters?
Now that's some good eatin'! ;-)
Persoanlly, I measure the worth of my french fries using the
"finger scale law". Sans all the scietific jargonisms, the
"finger- scale law" roughly states that: if the french fry
is bigger than my finger, well then, it's probably going to
be a very tasty french fry.
(1) Bigger is _always_ better.
(2) There is no such thing as "too much ketchup".
(3) Even if you're French, applying manonaise to a french
fry is totally gross. So don't do it!
The first and only rule to me is "skin on," then sea salt and pepper.
Sea salt is salt produced from the evaporation of seawater, rather than by being
extracted from sedimentary deposits. It is used in cooking and cosmetics. It is
also called bay salt or solar salt. Like mineral salt, production of sea salt
has been dated to prehistoric times. There is little or no health benefit to
using sea salt over other forms of sodium chloride salts.
Post by Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher
Why the Christians don't offer french fries in heaven?
WE do. Your ticket is punched for a different destination.