'Weeping' Blessed Virgin Mary statue in New Mexico defies explanation
jdyoung
2018-09-13 02:52:37 UTC
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/weeping-blessed-virgin-mary-statue-in-new-mexico-defies-explanation

HOBBS, New Mexico, September 12, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — The New Mexico
diocese investigating a “weeping” statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary
says it can find no natural cause for the phenomenon.

The “longer process” now is to discern whether the phenomenon is “from
God or from the Evil One,” Bishop Oscar Cantú of the Las Cruces
diocese said in an August statement.

“The devil can sometimes imitate holy things in order to confuse us.
So we must be prudent and vigilant.”

Parishioners at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church first reported the bronze
statue of their parish’s namesake weeping rose-scented tears on the
feast of Pentecost in May.

It happened again the next day, the Feast of Mary, Mother of the
Church, and the following Saturday, the Feast of the Immaculate Heart
of Mary, and reportedly happened once more “not long ago,” according
to a diocesan official.

Since then, local media reported “thousands” of people have flocked to
the mid-sized city on the state’s eastern border to venerate the
statue.

Bishop Cantú initiated an investigation, sending diocesan chancellor
Fr. Enrique Lopez and vice chancellor Deacon Jim Winder to Hobbs to
examine the statue, which had been made in Mexico and been in the
parish a year.

“So far, we have not discerned natural causes for the statue’s
emitting of liquid,” the bishop wrote.

J Young
***@ymail.com
Kevrob
2018-09-13 03:36:12 UTC
Post by jdyoung
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/weeping-blessed-virgin-mary-statue-in-new-mexico-defies-explanation
HOBBS, New Mexico, September 12, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — The New Mexico
diocese investigating a “weeping” statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary
says it can find no natural cause for the phenomenon.
There have been "weeping statues" before. It could be anything from
an actual hoax to condensation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeping_statue

2018-09-13 03:59:32 UTC
Post by jdyoung
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/weeping-blessed-virgin-mary-statue-in-new-mexico-defies-explanation
HOBBS, New Mexico, September 12, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — The New Mexico
diocese investigating a “weeping” statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary
says it can find no natural cause for the phenomenon.
There have been "weeping statues" before. It could be anything from
an actual hoax to condensation.
...I smell a hoax, especially since the "tears" are scented olive oil.
Conjuring up a "weeping" Virgin Mary is a great way to increase
church attendance and keep those coffers full.
default
2018-09-13 10:49:25 UTC
Post by jdyoung
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/weeping-blessed-virgin-mary-statue-in-new-mexico-defies-explanation
HOBBS, New Mexico, September 12, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — The New Mexico
diocese investigating a “weeping” statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary
says it can find no natural cause for the phenomenon.
There have been "weeping statues" before. It could be anything from
an actual hoax to condensation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeping_statue
The “longer process” now is to discern whether the phenomenon is “from
God or from the Evil One,” Bishop Oscar Cantú of the Las Cruces
diocese said in an August statement.

Sounds like it's officially being treated like a gol-durn miracle.

The bishop (after investigation) has determined it has a paranormal
origin, now it is just an either/or choice of god or devil.
Meteorite Debris
2018-09-13 07:15:10 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, jdyoung1
@ymail.com says...
Post by jdyoung
[...]
Allow me to sell the Sydney Harbour Bridge to you J. If you believe in
weeping statues then you are going to want this bridge. Live off the
tolls for the rest of your life. Going cheap, once in a life time
opportunity, never to be repeated. Get in now before this offer is
snapped up by another eager buyer.
default
2018-09-13 09:14:49 UTC
Post by jdyoung
[...]
A mixture of olive oil and scent. Good choice that, water would have
evaporated before the rubes had a chance to "discover" the "miracle."

Holy Hoopla, keeps the rubes coming, the Bishop got his name in print,
the town saw an up-tick in tourism, and no scientific investigation
was done.
Street
2018-09-13 09:39:15 UTC
Post by jdyoung
[...]
We had a statue that kept taking dumps on the floor, so we threw it in the
trash. But then we figured out it had just been the dog all along.
default
Holy shit!
Street
2018-09-13 11:32:56 UTC
Post by default
Post by Street
Post by jdyoung
[...]
That's what I tried to tell myself, but holy or not, once is way more than
enough.
Rod
2018-09-13 12:18:35 UTC
Post by jdyoung
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/weeping-blessed-virgin-mary-statue-in-new-mexico-defies-explanation
HOBBS, New Mexico, September 12, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — The New Mexico
Don't believe it! Bronze is a porous metal. Water collects in it's
pores and makes it sweat. it is because of these pores that bronze
can be used as a bearing and can store small amounts of oil in those pores.
Street
Thanks for the info, Rod.
Rod
Both brinze and iron. You're welcome.
default
2018-09-14 14:25:59 UTC
Post by Rod
Post by jdyoung
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/weeping-blessed-virgin-mary-statue-in-new-mexico-defies-explanation
HOBBS, New Mexico, September 12, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — The New Mexico
Don't believe it! Bronze is a porous metal. Water collects in it's
pores and makes it sweat. it is because of these pores that bronze
can be used as a bearing and can store small amounts of oil in those pores.
I think you can say that about all cast metals, but they aren't
usually porous enough to pass liquids or gases, unless the casting is
faulty.

Bearing material is often sintered bronze (aluminum, steel, etc.) The
process involves taking powdered metal and compressing it with heat
into the shape you want then pressure impregnating the spaces in the
material with lubricant. An oiled felt washer in contact with the
bearing keeps it lubricated for "life."

A poorly cast bronze may have enough holes to provide "tears" but
unless there's an olive grove and perfumery inside the statue, we can
safely rule out rose scented olive oil.

I expect the bishop and all involved will not have incentive to try to
find the culprit who perpetrated the hoax, but he's keeping his
options open by saying that it may be the work of the devil.

Not germane to the issue:
Those lifetime lubricated bearings can be re-lubed by taking them out
soaking them in kerosene then warming them and putting the hot bearing
into a cup of synthetic motor oil to cool then just relubing the felt
and reassembling the motor. That was my cure for many old phonograph
turntable motors, and I have one of those cheap (20" breeze box) fans
working for >20 years with three bearing re-lube jobs.

Street
2018-09-15 01:34:06 UTC
Post by default
Post by Rod
Post by jdyoung
[...]
http://youtu.be/ZAwIiH-g2tg
Wow. You guys are smart.

Davej
2018-09-14 03:08:32 UTC
Post by jdyoung
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/weeping-blessed-virgin-mary-statue-in-new-mexico-defies-explanation
Two laboratory tests revealed the liquid was "olive oil with a
scent mixture." LOL
Christopher A. Lee
2018-09-14 08:19:57 UTC
Post by jdyoung
https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/weeping-blessed-virgin-mary-statue-in-new-mexico-defies-explanation
Two laboratory tests revealed the liquid was "olive oil with a
scent mixture." LOL
Must have been heaven scent.