What virtue is most important according to you?
Add Reply
a***@gmail.com
2018-12-06 16:42:11 UTC
What virtue is most important in your life?

Love?

What virtue is most important in Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam? Or are many virtues very important?

For me, Truth is most important, relative to the importance most others put on truth. As an atheist, I find life meaningless without truth.

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor

“I am the truth. There is no other truth but me.”
Christopher A. Lee
2018-12-06 17:45:47 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
What virtue is most important in your life?
Love?
What virtue is most important in Christianity, Hinduism, and
Islam? Or are many virtues very important?
Why not ask them? But not here.
Post by a***@gmail.com
For me, Truth is most important, relative to the importance most
others put on truth. As an atheist, I find life meaningless without truth.
Truth comes automatically to anybody who isn't amoral.

Most of us get our "meaning" from our family, friends, pets, work
(unless they're retired), hobbies, community, etc.
Mitchell Holman
2018-12-06 19:41:25 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
What virtue is most important in your life?
Prompt garbage collection.

Stores that stay open late.

A reliable ISP
Robert Carnegie
2018-12-07 22:13:00 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
What virtue is most important in your life?
Love?
What virtue is most important in Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam? Or are many virtues very important?
For me, Truth is most important, relative to the importance most others put on truth. As an atheist, I find life meaningless without truth.
Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor
“I am the truth. There is no other truth but me.”
For Christians, the "greatest commandment" is to love God.
Blindly, I suspect. Explained here, near the bottom:
<https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+12&version=NIV>

For myself as an atheist, truth is important but you
don't always want it. I think tolerance and generosity
are important to us getting along together, and sharing
what we need.
Kevrob
2018-12-07 22:46:14 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by a***@gmail.com
What virtue is most important in your life?
Love?
What virtue is most important in Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam? Or are many virtues very important?
For me, Truth is most important, relative to the importance most others put on truth. As an atheist, I find life meaningless without truth.
For Christians, the "greatest commandment" is to love God.
<https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+12&version=NIV>
For myself as an atheist, truth is important but you
don't always want it. I think tolerance and generosity
are important to us getting along together, and sharing
what we need.
Prudence, in the form of forebearance in the matter of
when, how, and to whom the threat of the use of force,
or actual force, should be applied. Many idiocies can
be endured, if the idiots have not the power to coerce you.
Patience and self-control are necessary to live in a free society,
else some individual, group or entity decide to fill a lack of
self-control with the social control, on the lines of governmental
tyranny, including that motivated by religion, or outright religious
tyranny, even if privately enforced: family honor killings or mob
violence against "the other." Both of these things still happen
in various places around the world.

Of course, sometimes self-defense, individually or collectively,
is necessary. It should never be resorted to lightly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudence

People made fun of G H W Bush, with Dana Carvey making
"wouldn't be prudent" a catchphrase in his imitation of him.

See also: "Phronesis"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phronesis