pragmatic value
dale
2018-11-18 21:16:55 UTC
Some things have working or "pragmatic" value rather than "provable"
factual value. I can think of the value of myth in this category.

Some "scientific" forays like random genetic mutations, string theory
and M-theory are untestable. Hypotheses and not theories.

What amount of pragmatic value do these scientific "myths" have other
than to promote the concept that science has the answer to everything?

Why just allow "science" to delve credibly into "myth" with pragmatic
endeavors? Wouldn't pragmatic coursework be a nice study to have before
any "myth" is introduced? I think the better trust for the torch of this
coursework belongs in sociology rather than pure science or religion.
--
dale - https://www.dalekelly.org/
Not a professional opinion unless specified.
Oko Tillo
2018-11-19 00:20:39 UTC
Post by dale
Some things have working or "pragmatic" value rather than "provable"
factual value. I can think of the value of myth in this category.
Some "scientific" forays like random genetic mutations, string theory
and M-theory are untestable. Hypotheses and not theories.
What amount of pragmatic value do these scientific "myths" have other
than to promote the concept that science has the answer to everything?
Why just allow "science" to delve credibly into "myth" with pragmatic
endeavors? Wouldn't pragmatic coursework be a nice study to have before
any "myth" is introduced? I think the better trust for the torch of this
coursework belongs in sociology rather than pure science or religion.
--
dale - https://www.dalekelly.org/
Not a professional opinion unless specified.
Random biological mutations are observed all the time. Every one of us
has 50-300 genes which are different from those same genes in each
of our parents.

But if you meant beneficial random mutations, just ask your friendly neighborhood
antibiotic resistant bacterium.

Oko