Atheist - from Wikipedia
Atheist ------------------------------
2018-12-01 00:39:10 UTC
Wikipedia:
Atheism is,
(1) in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the
existence of deities.
(2) Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of
belief that any deities exist.
(3) In an even narrower sense, atheism
is specifically the position that there are no deities.

Atheism is contrasted with theism, which, in its most general
form, is the belief that at least one deity exists.

In short, an atheist is anyone who doesn't believe 'a god exists'.

There is no verifiable evidence of any god(s). None whatsoever.
(Anyone who thinks they have evidence of a god, show in alt.atheism.)
--
Atheist: anyone who says "I don't buy the claim 'a god exists'".
Extortion (Believe or Burn) is _THE_ foundation of Christianity.
Christian - a person afraid of a hiding apparently imaginary god.
MikeYost
what planet you living on ???
Atheist ------------------------------
2018-12-01 15:03:41 UTC
Post by MikeYost
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
Atheism is,
(1) in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the
existence of deities.
(2) Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of
belief that any deities exist.
(3) In an even narrower sense, atheism
is specifically the position that there are no deities.
Atheism is contrasted with theism, which, in its most general
form, is the belief that at least one deity exists.
In short, an atheist is anyone who doesn't believe 'a god exists'.
There is no verifiable evidence of any god(s). None whatsoever.
(Anyone who thinks they have evidence of a god, show in alt.atheism.)
what planet you living on ???
Not yours, dickhead; it's posted for lurkers and newcomers, as well
as a reminder and taunt to the religion nutbags here.
Robert Carnegie
2018-12-03 23:53:51 UTC
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
[...]
I still say that in this context, belief means worship;
no worship means no belief.
Kevrob
2018-12-04 00:59:11 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
[...]
You aren't allowing for "bad Christians," "bad Jews," etc.,
who believe, but are bad at the worshipping part: they sleep
late on the mornings they are supposed to worship with the
congregation, don't (Catholic version) go to confession,
don't do their penance if they do go, and generally backslide.

OTOH, there are ostentatious worshippers who believe none
of the nonsense, but only do it for social reasons. I the
US, up until recently, switching denominations was the mark
of a social climber: you could work our way up from snake-
handling Methodism or Primitive Baptist all the way through
the ranks to Presbyterianism of Episcopalianism, all for
business reasons.

---
Kevin R
a.a #2310
Robert Carnegie
2018-12-05 00:04:40 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
[...]
In that case I'd make a distinction between bad worship,
and no worship at all.

If you stop practising your religion altogether, then I reckon
you just became an atheist.
Post by Kevrob
OTOH, there are ostentatious worshippers who believe none
of the nonsense, but only do it for social reasons. I the
US, up until recently, switching denominations was the mark
of a social climber: you could work our way up from snake-
handling Methodism or Primitive Baptist all the way through
the ranks to Presbyterianism of Episcopalianism, all for
business reasons.
So worship doesn't necessarily mean belief?

Does the god mind?

I define worship as "behaving do as to please the god,
or at least minimally offend the god" - for gods like the
Christian one who are explicitly impossible to please.

Well, if you're a diligent but insincere worshipper
who does do everything that is supposed to please the
god, but without believing that the god actually exists
to be pleased - then I think you're still a good worshipper.
That is a tricky case.

In Christian "prosperity theology", doing it to get rich
is entirely legitimate. But to actually get rich is the hard part.
Greywolf
2018-12-04 00:44:40 UTC
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
[...]
_______

I doubt this is going to satisfy the theists who can't prove there's a God, will NEVER be able to prove there's a God, refuse to admit to blatant bible contradictions, and insist atheists DISPROVE their imagined God actually exists.

But then, the mentally-ill are mentally-ill, so what can you do?
duke
2018-12-05 13:22:57 UTC
On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 16:39:10 -0800, Atheist ------------------------------
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
Atheism is,
(1) in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the
existence of deities.
(2) Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of
belief that any deities exist.
(3) In an even narrower sense, atheism
is specifically the position that there are no deities.
Atheism is contrasted with theism, which, in its most general
form, is the belief that at least one deity exists.
In short, an atheist is anyone who doesn't believe 'a god exists'.
In truth, it is a rejection too.
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
There is no verifiable evidence of any god(s). None whatsoever.
(Anyone who thinks they have evidence of a god, show in alt.atheism.)
You can't see electricity or gravity either.

the dukester, American-American

*****
The Purpose of the NT Word of God is not to inform as it did in
the OT,but instead to form us in the very image of Jesus Christ.
*****
Greywolf
2018-12-05 21:18:05 UTC
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
Atheism is,
(1) in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the
existence of deities.
(2) Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of
belief that any deities exist.
(3) In an even narrower sense, atheism
is specifically the position that there are no deities.
Atheism is contrasted with theism, which, in its most general
form, is the belief that at least one deity exists.
In short, an atheist is anyone who doesn't believe 'a god exists'.
In truth, it is a rejection too.
A rejection of pure and utter nonsense. Buy any square-circles lately, have you?

What's that? Square-Circles don't exist? Well why on earth are you rejecting them?
Post by duke
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
There is no verifiable evidence of any god(s). None whatsoever.
(Anyone who thinks they have evidence of a god, show in alt.atheism.)
You can't see electricity or gravity either.
And both can be readily detected. Imaginary Gods cannot be. That's because they're . . . well, imaginary. Try proving different.
the dukester, American With His Nose Stuck In His Ass. Somebody Help Him, PLEASE!
duke
2018-12-06 22:28:00 UTC
Post by Atheist ------------------------------
Atheism is,
(1) in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the
existence of deities.
(2) Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of
belief that any deities exist.
(3) In an even narrower sense, atheism
is specifically the position that there are no deities.
Atheism is contrasted with theism, which, in its most general
form, is the belief that at least one deity exists.
In short, an atheist is anyone who doesn't believe 'a god exists'.
In truth, it is a rejection too.
A rejection of pure and utter nonsense. Buy any square-circles lately, have you?
Nope, you cornered the market on square circles.
Post by duke
There is no verifiable evidence of any god(s). None whatsoever.
(Anyone who thinks they have evidence of a god, show in alt.atheism.)
You can't see electricity or gravity either.
And both can be readily detected. Imaginary Gods cannot be. That's because they're . . . well, imaginary. Try proving different.
That's right: God, electricity and gravity are all 3 known by the impact they
have on our lives all the while remaining unseen.